• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

People who using non-legimate versions of Warcraft, what do you currently feel about the situation..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
...Of seeing maps won't be able to play on your current patch anymore?

There are a lot of current maps and future projects that ultilize the new and updated World Editor. While its a good thing for all of us, some of people like me can't enjoy Warcraft like I used to be seeing some new maps and campaigns not working on the old patch anymore. I know that there are still several maps currently still being developed on the old version as well, and everytime I saw a map working properly I feel happy inside.

So what do you think about the situation? Share what you like!

I personally want Blizzard to somehow make the World Editor BACKWARDS compatible with the old patch (which may sounds somewhat impossible since this situation has been seen before, the 1.23 and the 1.24 version). If not then we may simply have to wait for a miracle.

Reactions: pyf

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
I feel that. : )

Personally, I'd prefer to develop my maps to support /all/ patch versions to have bigger possible player base.
And for me, as awesome as the last patch is, it's still not worth the price. I mean, I can play (for example) DOTA 2 for free, why should I pay "that much" just to play improved version of a very old game? I even bought Ark with lower price, whereas it's infinitely better in every possible aspect compared to Warcraft 3, despite the different genre of course. I can afford the price if I want to, but for me it just doesn't worth it. Beside, the latest patch wouldn't improve my project by much.

I'm still expecting Blizz to make wc3 free to play tho, or at least significantly lower the price.

Or you could just ... buy the game
I believe a lot of peeps doesn't have credit card to begin with.

Last edited:
Level 9
I think I will wait for the inevitable of Blizz making Warcraft 3 free to be download like the original Starcraft. In the meantime I will still be playing this game since I have been playing it for a long time now, can't just give up.

Besides, not every map is updated on the new WE. Some other maps are still being developed under the older engine. Also like I said some maps are still compatible on both versions, so far..

Level 9
Well I come to a conclusion that there are no legitmate ways to patch the Warcraft 3 to the newest version without having a legit CD-key or buying it directly from the Blizzard page. With the current trend of mapmakers ultilizing the newest version, its best for us to move foward and not to stuck with the past anymore.

For me I might retired Warcraft from now on simply because I will not be able to get the legitmate version for a long time. Maybe one day Blizz will make it free for all like the original Starcraft. But I can only hope.

Level 25
Or you could gift it to every person? Some people just don't wanna waste their money, especially on 20yo game with no media assets.
On topic - most of outdated wc3 players are belong to dota' realm, we will never care.
Considering the amount of time most of us have spent on Warcraft, I'd say it's safe to say that even tho it's 20 year old game.. It's worth the money.
However, I can totally understand that some people will not purchase the game because they do not have the money required for it.
It still costs 9.99$ which some people in the world can not afford.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
[...] It still costs 9.99$ which some people in the world can not afford.
$20, u have to buy both basic + tft, else its wasted money
I'm still expecting Blizz to [...] at least significantly lower the price.
@Quilnez: considering the information above, what would a significant price drop be, according to you? I am pointing out that in 2003, Warcraft 3 was probably worth $100 more or less (let's say $60 for RoC, and $40 for TFT since it is an expansion set).

Last edited:
Level 25
I think they should go the free to play model like they did with SC2.
Sure it'll poke a bit at those people who bought it ~15 years ago, but I'm sure they've grown up and can appreciate the increase in player count over the fact that some people get the game for free now.

Level 9
It's entirely plausible to obtain the latest patches without going through Blizz. And of course non-bnet servers have always worked well enough for people.

How? Since I have searched for everywhere on google. And its not able to change to the newest patches with the Verision Switcher.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
Taken from the Site Rules
10. Global Laws
- Any discussions about illegal activities/products is prohibited. This includes piracy and drugs.
You guys who pirated the game realize that staff doesn't like you doing and talking about that, right? RIGHT?!
I don't know what's worse: You pirating the game or you being stupid enough to openly admit it, really.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
How is it stupid though.
Sure it is illegal on paper, but you are not going to be sued by blizz.
Sure you might find the occasional victim but that's because companies are forced to protect their copyrighted material in order to keep it.

So your chances of getting sued are preeeeeeeeetty slim.

Unless you are one of those "we need to support the game developers or they wont make games"
Poor indie dev blizz, barely making money.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
How is it stupid though.
You serious?
Sure it is illegal on paper, but you are not going to be sued by blizz.
Sure you might find the occasional victim but that's because companies are forced to protect their copyrighted material in order to keep it.

Never claimed that.
Unless you are one of those "we need to support the game developers or they wont make games"
Don't put words in my mouth.
I am definitely NOT defending Blizzard, neither here nor anywhere else.
I am judging piracy overall as the crime that it is.
Of course, YOU would not be able to understand that.

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
[...] Admittedly, I do own RoC + TfT legit, but that is because of moral reasons not because I love giving away money.
Buying something is not the same thing as giving away money for it.

[...] Sure it is illegal on paper, but you are not going to be sued by blizz.

Only people with valid CD-Keys can update the game to the latest version from Blizzard.

For the record, free official downloads from Blizzard related to Warcraft 3 include:
- the demo version of the game
- the Bonus Maps (nearly all of them have been integrated into the patches of the game over time)

[...] Unless you are one of those "we need to support the game developers or they wont make games"
We need to support the game developers or they won't make games, whether they are indie game developers or not, and whether they ask for money or not.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Hm, fair enough.

There are a few studies that show that piracy help developers rather than the other way around.
Supposedly because a lot of people who pirate would never buy the game, but might still recommend the game to their friends if they do pirate it.
And that a lot of people like trying the game out before buying.

A quick google search should be able to give you more info if you are interested.

I am not trying to defend piracy per say, it is morally incorrect. But I would not call people stupid for it.
If I could save 10$ and have a 99.9999999% chance to get away with it without consequence, well.. it is appealing.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
[...] There are a few studies that show that piracy help developers rather than the other way around.
Supposedly because a lot of people who pirate would never buy the game, but might still recommend the game to their friends if they do pirate it.
And that a lot of people like trying the game out before buying. [...]
Trying out before buying is what demo versions are here for, afaik.

The demo versions of some AAA games may even be so satisfying game-wise, that one may not feel the urge to get the full version of the game. The demo version of Unreal Tournament (1999) immediately comes to mind here.

I therefore recommend playing the demo version of Unreal Tournament (1999).

For the record, I own a full version of Unreal Tournament since maybe 5 years or so, but *only* because I had bought the Unreal Anthology. This DVD release features:
- Unreal + Return to Na Pali
- Unreal II
- Unreal Tournament (1999) GOTY Edition (sadly, without the official optional S3TC textures from the 2nd original CD)
- Unreal Tournament 2004

I had bought the Anthology for €10 in a retail store.
I wonder how many people can afford to spend such a huge amount of money on so many old and outdated video games.

:grin:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.