• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Poll: What editor version do you use?

What editor version do you use to make maps?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I see questions about "which editor version should I use?", but I'd like to know which one you are currently using and maybe elaborate on the why (if you feel like it).

I ask this question partly out of curiosity but also to get an idea if it’s worth the effort to support pre-1.32 maps in my custom trigger editor.

I am using version 1.32.10 because it has many new features I need (custom UI, damage natives, skin natives, folder mode support and more).
Now, why am I not using version 1.33.0 (latest as of writing this)? Because it looked very unstable in the PTR and numerous bugs/crashes are still not fixed. It does have a couple more natives and damage detection was added to GUI, but it's not something I absolutely need.

Last edited:

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
My two reasons to update have always been: 1) It's easier to manage a single installation. 2) I like gaining access to new features.

That's why I'm using 1.33 and always try to stay up to date. That being said, I figured 1.33 would be more focused on ladder/multiplayer changes and wouldn't mess with the editor. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case, although I sort of knew that before updating but I don't really care anymore.

As of late I've pretty much abandoned Warcraft 3 modding outside of helping others (which I still enjoy doing and don't plan on stopping anytime soon!). I see no point in finishing a project that will have unfixable bugs and a million janky workarounds that could then become obsolete and need fixing as well. Also, it's safe to assume that each new patch will continue to break things even further.
:goblin_cry:

The future isn't all that grim though, I have high hopes for Stormgate to be the Warcraft 4 we never received. The developers have stated that the game's modding tools will look and feel like the World Editor which makes me extremely excited.

Also, I think it was 1.32 that added the GUI damage detection Events, not 1.33.

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I use 1.31.1 because it's the last pre-no more custom campaigns patch and that also doesn't require you to login to the crappy Battle.net app all the time. It has its bugs yes, especially the one breaking triggers when loading a saved game but there are easy workarounds. It has most new natives than all others before and fixes of stuff like the 1.29.2's player colour switch (brown or the neutral hostile player with some dark red if I'm not mistaken or something). That was fixed in 1.30.4, which is a much more stable patch that doesn't seem to clutter memory and stuff but 1.31.1 has some UI and few other very useful functions you can use in the editor.
The downside of both these two last mentioned patch versions is that they are no longer .mpq based but CASC which is a mod (in the literal sense; not a map like a lot of people use the term for) killer meaning you can't really have a custom .exe file and your own .mpqs to access with that file. I don't know much about CASC but maybe there's also a way to mod on that but I think it's more difficult since I haven't seen people do it yet.
So, as with anything, there aren't only advantages but the important matter is that they are more significant than the disadvantages.
I saw there's a community patch/version movement going on: [Miscellanous / Other] - Warcraft III: Community Edition which boasts compatibility for upcoming official versions as well.

The future isn't all that grim though, I have high hopes for Stormgate to be the Warcraft 4 we never received. The developers have stated that the game's modding tools will look and feel like the World Editor which makes me extremely excited.
Sadly, I foresee a divided community or rather more communities for each of these: Warcraft III, Stormgate, CliCli, maybe even WarSmash.

Reactions: ISL
I use 1.31.1 because it has custom UI, ability api, damage-detection natives etc. that I enjoy using. Reason for not using newer version is: 30 gb of bloat I don't care about, feature removals, forced Battle.net launcher (losing some more control of your installation) and loss of trust for Blizzard (in combination with loss of control makes it a deal-breaking for me).
If I could get 1.31.1 natives in a version without downsides I've mentioned, I would consider exploring it.

Level 5
I use 1.31.1 because it has custom UI, ability api, damage-detection natives etc. that I enjoy using. Reason for not using newer version is: 30 gb of bloat I don't care about, feature removals, forced Battle.net launcher (losing some more control of your installation) and loss of trust for Blizzard (in combination with loss of control makes it a deal-breaking for me).
If I could get 1.31.1 natives in a version without downsides I've mentioned, I would consider exploring it.
For 1.31.1, where can I find damage-detection natives?

Last edited:
For 1.31.1, where can I find damage-detection natives?
It's a playerunitevent called EVENT_PLAYER_UNIT_DAMAGING and EVENT_PLAYER_UNIT_DAMAGED that you can register to a native TriggerRegisterPlayerUnitEvent takes trigger whichTrigger, player whichPlayer, playerunitevent whichPlayerUnitEvent, boolexpr filter returns event. Like most other natives, it's found in common.j.

There is a pretty damn good system called Damage Engine 5.9.0.0 if you don't want to write everything yourself.

Level 5
It's a playerunitevent called EVENT_PLAYER_UNIT_DAMAGING and EVENT_PLAYER_UNIT_DAMAGED that you can register to a native TriggerRegisterPlayerUnitEvent takes trigger whichTrigger, player whichPlayer, playerunitevent whichPlayerUnitEvent, boolexpr filter returns event. Like most other natives, it's found in common.j.

There is a pretty damn good system called Damage Engine 5.9.0.0 if you don't want to write everything yourself.
Thank you.

When I made my recent "Retera's Dungeon" YouTube video, I developed that map using a 1.22 game install and the JNGP bundle which I believe launches a modified patch 1.21 world editor binary. Should I still respond to this poll? (I did not vote yet.)
I feel like I was partly using something that old just because I can, although I really enjoyed being able to modify the lua script of JNGP so that the Test Map button would actually launch the Warsmash instead of the Patch 1.22 game.

Status
Not open for further replies.