• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

PC vs. Mac

Which do you prefer?

• Mac

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • PC

Votes: 27 81.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
In all seriousness i would like to see peoples opinions between these two and potentially the arguments in their hardware pros and cons and also the OS (Operating System) facet of this discussion.

I myself prefer a PC but I've seen a lot of editors and professional businessmen use Macs...

What are your thoughts?

[I'm sorry if this thread has already been made before, but in my search i found none, so if there is an older one please merge or delete please :D]

Level 4
[I'm sorry if this thread has already been made before, but in my search i found none, so if there is an older one please merge or delete please :D]
I did search... sorry

Uuh hmm sorry but this is on the actual hardware not the Operating System... (linux, mac and windows are all OS's compared to an actual PC which can run any one it wants)

Level 34
I did search... so sorry?

Uuh hmm sorry but this is on the actual hardware not the Operating System... (linux, mac and windows are all OS's compared to an actual PC which can run any one it wants)
Oops, I read your post too quick, I apologize. I just deleted my post.

For hardware, I find PC better. Pricing is better, and I know more about it, so naturally I gravitate more to it. I have been told Macs use RAM more efficiently, but I myself have never noticed this.

Level 4
Yes another one to the PC cause! :D, i agree completely with you. PC's are actually more efficient in the use of RAM. With the new Corsair DDR3 Ram, the PCI-Express slots allow for lower latency issues. Overall i like PC's more because wit ha Mac your stuck with what you ave till you buy a new one, but for PC's you can customize and upgrade gpu's, motherboards, cpus, hardrives and almost everything

Level 15
While I like Macs and think they have a lot of good aspects, they are too expensive for my liking, especially since I like to build PCs from scratch.

Level 19
I agree, the PC owns in almost all aspects in hardware when it comes to prices and customization etc. It really depends on what you want do with your computer. Though you can almost buy 2 good PC for 1 good mac because they are ridiculously expensive.

This pancake costs around $2500 and it got no CD-ROM though it got a nice camera. This computer is so small... It ain't much bigger than a paper.

Mac-laptop2.jpg

macbook%20air.preview.JPG

Level 34
To me the big reason I think PC hardware is better is because Windows doesn't make it. I hate Windows, and like OSX, but prefer PC over Mac for hardware. I think when I get my own computer I'll try out Linux.

Level 36
Not even. Photoshop is basically the most powerful image editing software on Earth, right? You can use it on Windows. There goes the image-editing arguement. Video editing? You're not gonna try and tell me that iMovie is the most powerful video-editing software are you? I've spent the last six months, for 80 minutes every day, monday through Friday, using iMovie, and I absolutely hate it. It tries to be simple, but it fails against Windows Movie Maker at simplicity. It tries top be complex and sophisticated, and gets raped by Premiere. Premiere runs on Windows. There goes video.

And now, they final arguement: Music production. This is an iffy one. Technically, Garage Band has to be one of the easiest-to-use music production programs on Earth, but Windows has Fruity Loops, which essentially does the same things and more. I dunno. That one's arguable.

Level 8
I made my own PC, I'm not much for macs, they look nice. But I don't have money to burn on aesthetics, so I have a giant black monolith sitting under my desk [overclocked too, can you do that on Macs? [one google search later] apparently you can].
I made my PC from scratch with the intention of upgrading sometime later. I have Ubuntu and XP installed without fault.

My vote: PC

Level 21
Not even. Photoshop is basically the most powerful image editing software on Earth, right? You can use it on Windows.

yeh i much prefer photoshop on pc, mainly because all the post editing stuff you can do. you know, software for resizing, compressing and file type changing.

Video editing? You're not gonna try and tell me that iMovie is the most powerful video-editing software are you? I've spent the last six months, for 80 minutes every day, monday through Friday, using iMovie, and I absolutely hate it. It tries to be simple, but it fails against Windows Movie Maker at simplicity. It tries top be complex and sophisticated, and gets raped by Premiere. Premiere runs on Windows. There goes video.

oh no i meant final cut pro 2, i gotta be honest, final cut is awesome. its better than my second favorite which is sony vegas. i used premiere for a short amount of time but i found it very complex to do something quite simple, however if you know how it all works i could imagine it to be a powerfull tool. still my vote goes to mac on this one, tho only just.

And now, they final arguement: Music production. This is an iffy one. Technically, Garage Band has to be one of the easiest-to-use music production programs on Earth, but Windows has Fruity Loops, which essentially does the same things and more. I dunno. That one's arguable.

Logic pro 8, is by far, without any doubt at all, the greatest audio editing software ever. fruity loops is pretty good, the new version pushes it from amature music production to pro. but the best products for windows would be cubase, sonar and that other one, reaper or something.

Level 2
I use a mac Mini, a small computer, only 450 dollars(got it through a different supplyer), and I am very satified with it, not because of the computer itself, but because I have so many options with a mac.

You can run windows XP or vista using bootcamp on ANY mac, and it runs just the same as it would if it were a computer that came with xp and vista.

Ontop of that, the Mac OS X 10.5.3 that I have is brilliant to use, runs with efficiency(only takes .2 of a gig of ram to run smoothly, compare that to vista which takes 2 gigs to run smoothly, or windows XP which takes .7). The software that comes for it runs better on it then a PC, you don't have to spend 70 dollars on getting a firewall, the system is overall more stable, which eliminates the need for buying a new hardrive because it crashes so often.(when a computer crashed it damages the hard drive, and when you hard shutdown a computer, it damages everything if you are unlucky.)

To add onto that, because the OS is so efficient, you can run programs that would normally take allot more to run smoothly, I can run programs that normally take a 2.8MHz dual processor on my Mac Mini's 1.83MHz dual intel processor.

To add unto this the easy use of so many things, such as the dashbaord, mine is customized so I can check gas prices, weather, sports, everything I would normally need to do on the internet, by just popping it on with f12, and saving time.

If you also add on the hundreds of features, and the ability to window mode any full screen program(something PC's can only do with World of Warcraft.) You really do have the most user friendly OS out there, to spite the cost of the computer, have a computer that runs Mac OS X and Windows XP/Vista, is better then having a Dell computer which will only run Windows, and not Linux, BSD, or any other OS.

So personally, I would rather have a mac computer, because of it's speed, usability, and efficiency, along with being able to run other OS's which opens up the way for my gaming life to stay strong.

Level 4
thank you epic fail guy, but this thread is more importantly based around the hardware side of PC vs Mac, if i wanted to bring OS as a large facet of the discussion (im not saying we cant have an OS discussion), i would specifically say so in the intro of the thread or the poll...

Plus,
To add onto that, because the OS is so efficient, you can run programs that would normally take allot more to run smoothly, I can run programs that normally take a 2.8MHz dual processor on my Mac Mini's 1.83MHz dual intel processor.
that is technically not true, the coding is the same for the program therefore it uses the RAM just as it would any other. Unless your intel 1.83 is lying to itself about its clock speed then i would say you experience a much slower version or PCs are just that awesome that they can multitask so that it gives the appearance that it is slow. Nonetheless your talk about checking gas prices and whatnot has its amazing parallel existence in the vista side bar or the XP widgets!

Level 14
Epic Fail Guy, your post is meaningless, since you sprout random crap. XP runs fine on 300 MB of RAM; you could probably run it fine on 200 MB if you turned off some (normally unnecessary) options.

You probably have a Core 2, and are comparing it against a Pentium D/Dual Core. That is nothing to do with the OS.

Level 2
thank you epic fail guy, but this thread is more importantly based around the hardware side of PC vs Mac, if i wanted to bring OS as a large facet of the discussion (im not saying we cant have an OS discussion), i would specifically say so in the intro of the thread or the poll...

Plus,
that is technically not true, the coding is the same for the program therefore it uses the RAM just as it would any other. Unless your intel 1.83 is lying to itself about its clock speed then i would say you experience a much slower version or PCs are just that awesome that they can multitask so that it gives the appearance that it is slow. Nonetheless your talk about checking gas prices and whatnot has its amazing parallel existence in the vista side bar or the XP widgets!

The vista sidebar was a ripoff of the Mac OS Dashbaord.

We can move this to a different topic.

Also, the coding is in binary, yes, but the thing is, it is translated differently, Mac OS X is a unix based OS, much like linux, windows XP isn't, they both run on binary(as does everything computerized) But the systems run things differently.

Also with the fact it takes less then 6 seconds for my Photoshop CS3 to start up... I am talking from my own experienced here though.

EDIT: All operating systems will run well on 300 megabites of ram, but they wont run programs worth a damn.
Then again, someone did make a fully functioning version of OS X that runs smoothly on 32 mb's.

Level 34
True, the price is kinda overdriven and you can almost get twice as much when buying a PC.
It's true.

Although I know many people who only want a computer for email, internet, and maybe a few simple programs here and there. Mac is far better due to it's user friendliness, and it's lack of known viruses. My Aunt for example loves her mac, even though it's old and shitty. It works, unlike her old PC which because it's old, it sucks. Macs stay working for far longer in my experience.

For someone who wants to update their computer, and is not making enough money to buy $2000 Macs every year, usually choose PC.

Level 15
mac is freaking sweet for music production, video editing and image editing. apart from that its shite. XP is better for everything else.

I'm afraid the "Mac is better for music" is a stereotype with outdated origins. In the past, Mac has had some advantages over historical PCs due to differences in hardware and CPU architecture. Some mention higher memory bandwidth of certain Mac configurations as an advantage.

In recent years, however, this advantage has disappeared, and with Apple becoming an Intel shop, the hardware has become even more similar to PCs. That said, there are still different software packages for each system, but almost no empirical arguments exist anymore for Mac as a superior audio editing tool, besides pure opinion about which software a musician prefers.

TDR

TDR

Level 18
I like PC 'cause I always used one and never needed more and I hate MAC (Apple, actually...) from the bowels of my inner self because the fuckers made Shake available ONLY on mac (a program which was exclusively for windows until the bastards bought it...). It's also available on linux though, but I'm too lazy to have them both.

But 3ds Max is available exclusively on windows! HA! Eat that, mac freaks! Maya is available on mac os though, and that + Shake are the ONLY fucking reasons macs are so extensively used in the vfx industry...every shithead thinks maya is the best, but newsflash: it fucking isn't! It only matters how good you are with the program you're using (Ice Age was made in Lightwave; Open Season was made in Cinema 4D; Polar Express was made in 3ds max...I bet most of you thought those were made in freakin Maya...) you can make in blender things that shit on maya, in max things that shit on xsi, in maya things that shit on max, in cinema 4d stuff that shits on all, in max things that shit on everyone...so yeah, up yours you monopolizing bastards!!!!!!

hell, what a rant...sorry about that :p

Fortunately I happen to have an iPod, so Apple repent its sins for me.

Level 19
I like PC 'cause I always used one and never needed more and I hate MAC (Apple, actually...) from the bowels of my inner self because the fuckers made Shake available ONLY on mac (a program which was exclusively for windows until the bastards bought it...). It's also available on linux though, but I'm too lazy to have them both.

But 3ds Max is available exclusively on windows! HA! Eat that, mac freaks! Maya is available on mac os though, and that + Shake are the ONLY fucking reasons macs are so extensively used in the vfx industry...every shithead thinks maya is the best, but newsflash: it fucking isn't! It only matters how good you are with the program you're using (Ice Age was made in Lightwave; Open Season was made in Cinema 4D; Polar Express was made in 3ds max...I bet most of you thought those were made in freakin Maya...) you can make in blender things that shit on maya, in max things that shit on xsi, in maya things that shit on max, in cinema 4d stuff that shits on all, in max things that shit on everyone...so yeah, up yours you monopolizing bastards!!!!!!

hell, what a rant...sorry about that :p

Fortunately I happen to have an iPod, so Apple repent its sins for me.

Well we're talking about the hardware not software. I don't really know about the monopolizing thing because Microsoft has done quite a lot of that in the past but I ain't complaining but instead I love them.
Back to topic.

Level 8
*twitch*
You love Microsoft?
I love PC's I do NOT love Microsoft, they made the right decisions at the beginning about software and they are better than Apple in a lot of ways, but seriously they only survive because of their monolithic market share, if any other company so frequently pumped out unfinished, shoddy work like Vista they would go bust.
I also hate them for the Halo franchise, and Xbox, and Xbox Live, oh yeah, and for Windows Live.

bloodsucking, parasitic, monopolising, capitalist scumbags

The customizability in PC's is great though

Level 19
*twitch*
You love Microsoft?
I love PC's I do NOT love Microsoft, they made the right decisions at the beginning about software and they are better than Apple in a lot of ways, but seriously they only survive because of their monolithic market share, if any other company so frequently pumped out unfinished, shoddy work like Vista they would go bust.
I also hate them for the Halo franchise, and Xbox, and Xbox Live, oh yeah, and for Windows Live.

bloodsucking, parasitic, monopolising, capitalist scumbags

The customizability in PC's is great though

Well I love them for having such a strong hand on the entire software market.
I have to agree on the customization. It is really lovely! I always liked how simple it was to add, change and even remove stuff when I was young.

Level 4
So on the topic of Microsoft...lets all appreciate their monopoly that caused AOL, Netscape (good browser) and many other programs and fun gadgets to go out of circulation because of their monopoly on the OS market. i like PC's but, say no to drugs.... and Microsoft GO LINUX

Last edited:
Level 15
you can make in blender things that shit on maya, in max things that shit on xsi, in maya things that shit on max, in cinema 4d stuff that shits on all, in max things that shit on everyone...
So maya > max and max > everyone (including maya)? :xxd:

Level 13
I like Pc's (and their Windows) because they have more programs available than Mac.
I like Mac because it looks quite better and works faster.

Conclusion: Have one of each? Or combine them both? No idea...

Level 4
i already invented the hybrid...go to page two and look at the bottom for my post....i invented it! the PAC!

Level 36
I don't think that Macs look better than PCs at all. On the outside, PC cases are so modifiable that you can do just about anything with them. Strike out there. On the UI, the Mac UI is ugly, clunky, and has icons the size of my fist. No thank you, I'll take Royale Noir over that shit any day.

Level 15
Macs at there core (darwine) is just a hybred BDS + Unix core

all that separates mac osx from other distors of Linux is coco and quartz

without that mac is Linux

for me i like pc's better because i can do many more things with them then macs

that software wise its eayser to make someitng for a pc or a linux box than mac because i dont need to use coco.h (the hedder file from HELL!)

Status
Not open for further replies.