• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Patch 1.31.1 Backup Files

To be clear, anything 1.28+ cannot be installed by patch. The download in this thread is not a patch, it's the complete game and must be unzipped as a whole into an empty folder.

To stop the game from being slow, hopefully this makes it clearer:
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

It may not solve the issue for you (I'm not even sure if it's the same issue I had), but worth a try.

Level 2
To be clear, anything 1.28+ cannot be installed by patch. The download in this thread is not a patch, it's the complete game and must be unzipped as a whole into an empty folder.

To stop the game from being slow, hopefully this makes it clearer:
View attachment 371068 View attachment 371069 View attachment 371070

It may not solve the issue for you (I'm not even sure if it's the same issue I had), but worth a try.

Thanks, I will try and let you know how it works this time, I have installed everything again

Level 2
Hey guys now if it works for me after I put the 3D graphics issue in direct access, now if I like the game thank you very much sir loktar, it has saved my life, thank you very much blademaster, now I must create the folder where the game is saved Well, the games that I'm playing that is the only thing that I don't know where it is saved, I have to create a folder called SavedGames? ... and the patch is English

Is there a way to put it in Spanish?

Level 2
"-graphicsapi D
I don't think you need to worry about saved games, the game should take care of it automatically.

I don't think so unfortunately.

Thank you very much to both of you for helping me, I am going to play like this in English, total of the classic version I know all the missions and I hope to understand the personalized campaigns that I have not played I hope to have fun, take care, happy new year to you two guys

Level 20
How do I install custom campaigns with this? Which file do I put the Campaigns folder in?
This question was already answered in the first post. Let me quote it for you:

4. Maps/campaigns aren't visible in game:

- If maps or campaigns that you are using were saved in 1.32 (Reforged), they won't work.
- Make sure that your maps and campaigns are located in appropriate folders. If the folders don't exist, create them yourself, watching out for potential typos.

Folder paths and names are as follows:
Campaigns: C:\Users\<UserName>\Documents\Warcraft III\Campaigns
Maps: C:\Users\<UserName>\Documents\Warcraft III\Maps

Last edited:
Level 20
You mean in this folder: C:\Users\<UserName>\Documents\Warcraft III\Maps?

One explanation is that this folder is only meant for custom maps that you made/downloaded/copied from somewhere. All Blizzard-made maps (e.g. melee maps) that came with W3 are built into the game files, i.e. you can access them in-game or through the world editor, but you won't see them in the maps folder.

If that explains your problem and you still want these maps in your maps folder for some reason (though I honestly don't see why you would) then use CASCViewer to extract these maps from the game files.

Level 1
Hello, I just downloaded and installed the first .zip file and it didn't want the CD Key, I didn't know why but now I think it is because I have bought and installed Warcraft 3 Reforged originally on battle.net app and it might be using the key from reforged or whatever (Reforged is still working normally until I screenshot something in 1.31.1). If I start the 1.31.1 version it wants to update to a newer version (the Reforged one I believe) right few seconds after I start the game (picture 1.png) I pressed no every time it wanted to update. So I disabled internet connection access to the .exe file through firewall settings and it is not there anymore (picture 2.png), same for The Frozen Throne. It didn't want the CD key on a computer where is Reforged installed and I tried to install the 1.31.1 on a laptop where's not the reforged version installed and I am not logged in battle.net app and there was a blank popup with name CD Key or something like that and I don't know how to repair it so any help I would be appreciated, and I have one more question: Can I play LAN games from the first .zip file if I am going to manage it somehow with that CD Key so I can play with all computers that have it installed and are connected to my wifi?

Edit: The blank popup was normal just after I ran it as administrator. I tried to play on LAN but it didn't work
so if someone knows how to do LAN games, please respond.

Last edited:
Level 20
I don't know if there's a way to enable LAN, sorry. @paxicht

---

I've also received a question about finding the CD-KEY if you purchased Reforged from Battle.Net. The thing is, I have no idea if it comes with a classic Warcraft 3 key, but if it is to be found somewhere: login to your battle.net account -> go to Games & Subscriptions -> scroll down, if there is a classic key, it should be listed there.

I've attached a screenshot of my account (obviously with removed CD-KEYs) for clarity -> see below.

If this doesn't work, i.e. the key isn't there, you have three options:

1. The launcher has an option to log in to your battle.net account instead of trying to type your key manually, you might try using that.

If you have a decent internet connection, available disk space and some patience, you can try doing what was described above -> install Reforged, try to launch 1.31, then remove Reforged and see if it remembers your activation (no idea if this will work, so only try this if downloading Reforged to try is really not a problem for you).

2. Contact Blizzard support and ask whether they can provide a CD-KEY for your Warcraft 3 copy. If they ask why, just say you've found an older installer and you want to play the game as it used to be :) Anyway, no idea if support can help you in that way, but it really doesn't hurt to try :)

3. (Potentially risky!) If you don't plan on playing Reforged, see if they still offer easy refunds. Then try looking online for the original keys. I found some (cheapest from a trustworthy source was like 17,5 euro, saying in case you see some scam offers for a lot of money - don't fall for that), so you should be able to do it too.

Just be warned - if you're doing this and want to play only 1.31, you need just the Warcraft 3: Reign of Chaos key, as it comes with Frozen Throne expansion by default, older versions will most likely require you to have both RoC and TfT keys. Also, classic keys do not allow you to play Reforged HD (but SD should be fine).

---

Just in case - I had my old keys, so I didn't have to figure out how to get one these days. Thus, what I just said is not my firsthand experiece and I'd advise you to wait a couple of days (or read a couple posts below if you find this later) to see if someone with more experience in the topic didn't provide a confirmed solution :)

Attachments

• Key.jpg
    Key.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
which is better 1.31 or 1.30?
1.31.1 has new natives but it also has a bug with load-saving so that unit-specific triggers do not work after loading. Also, custom campaign buttons do not always display correctly.

1.30.4 is without major bugs, but it is also without new features of 1.31. 1.30.4 is the best patch for custom campaigns, in my opinion. 1.29.2 can work too, but custom campaigns created in later versions of the game may not work well in prior versions.

Level 1
1.31.1 has new natives but it also has a bug with load-saving so that unit-specific triggers do not work after loading. Also, custom campaign buttons do not always display correctly.

1.30.4 is without major bugs, but it is also without new features of 1.31. 1.30.4 is the best patch for custom campaigns, in my opinion. 1.29.2 can work too, but custom campaigns created in later versions of the game may not work well in prior versions.

Thank you for the info! I'll use 1.30.4

Level 20
Well, I've been using my 1.31 version to save campaigns recently and it didn't crash on me even once, so I don't think it's a problem with the install. One thing that comes to mind is that perhaps WE is trying to save the file normally, but gets denied by your OS or security software, resulting in it not being able to complete the save operation and thus returning an error.

Check if you Documents folder (or wherever you're trying to save the campaign file) doesn't have some weird Windows folder protection thing. Right click on the folder, select Properties and the "Security" (or something like that) tab. Check if your user profile has sufficient priviledges to save/modify files in that folder. Also, check if you don't have some security software that's blocking WE from accessing the folder you're trying to use.

Alternatively, try just saving the campaign file on your desktop or on a non-OS drive.

Level 18
Wow, I think I fixed it, and it was half by accident. After checking my permissions and not really changing anything, I went back to the campaigns module and used "save as" instead of save, and when I did, I changed the save destination to the campains folder, and it worked perfectly. So, it seems to have just been a problem with the file destination.

Thanks for the help! Gonna post about this in my original thread just so anyone else having the problem can see.

Level 1
I have a serious problem i download custom maps and put it in document\warcraft III\maps\download but then i try to play them there is no map in menu to play but then i try to download map that are below than 7 or 8 MB and its work!!! but maps are above 10MB (like 30MB,45MB or more) that no show in menu. i even tride wc3 1.26a , 1.27b ,1.29 Public Test but none of them cant show up big size maps IDK why that problem happen to me i even reinstall my win 10 but not work can someone help pls

Level 2
Hi guys, search a bit on the thread but didn't find any answers about it. Any clues how to install this on Mac please? I can't run .exe files so I can't install the the files Warcraft III.exe and World Editor.exe. I tried to use the software CrossOver but it's not working. Any ideas besides installing Windows on my Mac please? thanks for the help!

Level 4
Ok, just to summarize how it went for me: I installed v1.31 patch with no problem (I have a backup folder labelled 1.29 Backup), and I fixed the stuttering I had with the -graphicsapi Direct3D9 shortcut trick, BUT my question is, the language registry. For me, when I attempted to download it, my computer seems to confuse the file for an .MP3 audio file. Anyone else or have I done something weird?

Also, Holy Hell you can view Blizzard Campaign maps in the World Editor!? That's actually cool, you can see how the intricate parts of the maps work.

Level 11
Hello, I just downloaded and installed the first .zip file and it didn't want the CD Key, I didn't know why but now I think it is because I have bought and installed Warcraft 3 Reforged originally on battle.net app and it might be using the key from reforged or whatever (Reforged is still working normally until I screenshot something in 1.31.1). If I start the 1.31.1 version it wants to update to a newer version (the Reforged one I believe) right few seconds after I start the game (View attachment 373226) I pressed no every time it wanted to update. So I disabled internet connection access to the .exe file through firewall settings and it is not there anymore (View attachment 373225), same for The Frozen Throne. It didn't want the CD key on a computer where is Reforged installed and I tried to install the 1.31.1 on a laptop where's not the reforged version installed and I am not logged in battle.net app and there was a blank popup with name CD Key or something like that and I don't know how to repair it so any help I would be appreciated, and I have one more question: Can I play LAN games from the first .zip file if I am going to manage it somehow with that CD Key so I can play with all computers that have it installed and are connected to my wifi?

Edit: The blank popup was normal just after I ran it as administrator. I tried to play on LAN but it didn't work
so if someone knows how to do LAN games, please respond.
If it just asks "Would you like to update" at the beginning, it's normal. You press "no" and that's it. Or does it actually begin the download on it's own?
(DO NOT start the game through the Launcher. Use Warcraft III.exe file)

If you disabled internet connection to the exe using firewall, quite naturally, you aren't going to be able to play online. Either LAN or Internet.

If, after enabling internet connection to exe (removing firewall rule), you still can't play LAN, you may try to look into this thread:
(Specifically, @BogdanW3 comment about router port.)

As for the blank popup with the name CD key... Look at the previous comments on this thread:
UPDATE for blank screen situation:
Got to do this again on new PC. It was easier this time, as Warcraft 3 was never installed on this system before.

Anyways, when the CD-Key Enter screen pops up, if it turns black, you are good. Wait for a bit (I waited for like 10 secs), and it should show the proper Blizz screen.
Thank you for doing this man. When I opened my own backup of 1.30, the CD-KEY screen popped up, but was entirely blank... Like frozen or something. Only after I deleted all of Blizzard Entertainment registry, started the Launcher once, and renamed the folder, did I finally get the CD-Key window to finally work, and I could enter them.

Level 17
For real LAN, router should not be involved unless it's blocking local communication between devices, which is rare but also a possible option. For fake LAN like Hamachi or Radmin (and possibly GameRanger), make sure both that you have forwarded the correct ports and that you don't have firewalls blocking communication.

About the blank popup, often just closing and re-opening will fix it, but you can also manually enter the required data into files in C:\ProgramData\Blizzard Entertainment\Warcraft III, both of these files can be edited by notepad: user.w3k should only contain a name you want your PC to be identified as, and roc.w3k should have your ROC CD-key without dashes.

Level 11
For real LAN, router should not be involved unless it's blocking local communication between devices, which is rare but also a possible option. For fake LAN like Hamachi or Radmin (and possibly GameRanger), make sure both that you have forwarded the correct ports and that you don't have firewalls blocking communication.

About the blank popup, often just closing and re-opening will fix it, but you can also manually enter the required data into files in C:\ProgramData\Blizzard Entertainment\Warcraft III, both of these files can be edited by notepad: user.w3k should only contain a name you want your PC to be identified as, and roc.w3k should have your ROC CD-key without dashes.
Still, I believe that clearing the registry of Reforged would be a good choice if he doesn't play it anymore (uninstallation doesn't fully clear it). It might be interfering with the earlier version.

Level 4
Back then before this patch we can do that but we need MPQ Editor to get it.
I had a very old cracked version of the game from a friend for nearly 9 years. I only updated about a year before Reforged came out coz custom campaigns weren't loading properly, so I'm behind on all the fancy updates and what you can do with the game now :xxd:

Level 4
Try right clicking on it and see if there's an option called "Merge" or something similar.
Doesn't seem to be any option of that sort on my end. I have in the past defaulted certain file extensions to play as X and that may be the case. I'd probably just drop the subject for now since I don't need the files, but if anyone else has this weird issue, it'd be worth keeping in mind.

Level 17
Ok, just to summarize how it went for me: I installed v1.31 patch with no problem (I have a backup folder labelled 1.29 Backup), and I fixed the stuttering I had with the -graphicsapi Direct3D9 shortcut trick, BUT my question is, the language registry. For me, when I attempted to download it, my computer seems to confuse the file for an .MP3 audio file. Anyone else or have I done something weird?

Also, Holy Hell you can view Blizzard Campaign maps in the World Editor!? That's actually cool, you can see how the intricate parts of the maps work.
About the language fix being downloaded as an MP3 file, blame Google. It thinks it's an audio file so you will have to manually rename it so that its extension is .reg (it's almost certainly something else at the moment)

Level 4
About the language fix being downloaded as an MP3 file, blame Google. It thinks it's an audio file so you will have to manually rename it so that its extension is .reg (it's almost certainly something else at the moment)
Sounds about right, I've also had that issue in the past. When in doubt, blame Google ^_^

Level 28
Hello everyone,
I currently have both 1.29 and 1.31.1, but when I open 1.31.1 Frozen Throne there is a small bug. Aside from the disabled "Battle.net" button, there is no Reforged update notification (you know: A small window with the message "An update is available" and the two options to open the Launcher and return to game without update).
Some people have this kind of message every time the game is launched like this one, but I don't have this message upon starting 1.31.1. (NOT PTR).
However, the update notification appears if I accidentally hit "Local Area Network", which brings out the Bonjour installation message.
On 1.29, this notification doesn't appear but the "Battle.net" button doesn't greyed out.
Is this bug normally occurs? I uploaded 2 screenshots to compare the issue (First one is from 1.31.1 and the second is from 1.29).
Thanks.

Attachments

• Battle Net Bug 2.png
    Battle Net Bug 2.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 94
  • Battle Net Bug.png
    Battle Net Bug.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 95