• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Patch 1.31.1 Backup Files

Level 21
hey, I have been using this for a while for modding and it's great. I just tried to play some maps with it, and I cant manage to import new maps onto it. I see the instructions here for custom campaigns, but I'm just using regular non- campaign custom maps. I pasted them into the appropriate folders, but they still won't appear in game. any idea why?

(obviously I'm talking about pre-reforged maps )

Level 20
I'll be honest, guys - I don't know what's causing your issues. I've used both custom campaigns and maps without any issues.

I'm a bit busy right now, but if you could point me to maps/campaigns that don't show up for you, I'll see if I can figure something out (rather unlikely, but I can try).

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
hey, I have been using this for a while for modding and it's great. I just tried to play some maps with it, and I cant manage to import new maps onto it. I see the instructions here for custom campaigns, but I'm just using regular non- campaign custom maps. I pasted them into the appropriate folders, but they still won't appear in game. any idea why?
Make sure you have the right path C:\(or OS disk)users\username\Documents\Warcraft III\Campaigns
If that doesn't work, maybe the Warcraft III registries didn't properly put the path or something.

Level 2
I already did and it didnt work

Attachments

• IMG_20200630_202736.jpg
    IMG_20200630_202736.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 150
  • IMG_20200630_202631.jpg
    IMG_20200630_202631.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 162
Level 2
Do you think its because I opened the game in the application and not make a shortcut in the desktop?

Attachments

• IMG_20200630_203550.jpg
    IMG_20200630_203550.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 94
Level 20
CORRECTION

For now I haven't been able to reproduce the problem with the game not seeing individual maps (tried a couple and as long as they're in a Documents\Warcraft III\Maps directory, they're visible to the game) or campaigns (same as above, just - Documents\Warcraft III\Campaigns).

I've checked the registy and didn't see anything that could screw this up. I'm honestly out of ideas.

Last edited:
Level 2
Actually this version of the Warcraft 3 game seems interesting to me, but I don't risk downloading and installing it, what happens is the following: I have Warcraft 3 installed with its expansion and everything but I have patch 1.27, my computer is somewhat old, it is a pentimun IV with windows service pack 3, due to that reason I can't install Reforged in this very old device, but I'm in the process of buying a new one a little more modern, but I think it will be later this year or 2021 I really don't have answer for that, with patch 1.27 since it does not allow me to update 1.31.1 and that is the one I really want to play some more modern and updated campaigns like the silvanas among others, but I don't know I don't want to risk delete everything I have and all the campaigns that I have gone through, because if it does not work in this old windows afterwards, I would have to start again that is my greatest collective fear hahaha, but if someone from this publication has done it or on a computer like mine and I have run it I would like to really know to think about whether to do it or not. Thanks I wait for your answers

Level 20
It's just easy. You can even have multiple warcraft versions co-exist within your desktop without conflict.
(I can just confirmed this yesterday lol as I'm also doubting how would the other game versions react)
Of course, we're not talking about reforged versions here (1.32+) but only legacy versions (primarily 1.26-1.31)

Just don't update when prompted to. Only use these backup archives. They work like a charm.

Level 23
I tried bypassing the problem I had by loading those maps in the WE first, and got this notification:

View attachment 358814View attachment 358814
I realize this is a thread for 1.31, but if you were to consider using the latest version, the fastest way to locate your map folder is to join a random game, then search for it on your computer with the search function.

Level 8
I download your wc3 file after downloading, then i try running wc3 launcher then i repair it and install and updating it. When i got 78% of updating i found out my updating got bugged it said "WHOOPS! LOOKS LIKE SOMETHING BROKED. GIVE IT ANOTHER SHOT." I try running wc3 launcher several timees, running it as admin or trying restarting the pc but still don't work. :(

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I download your wc3 file after downloading, then i try running wc3 launcher then i repair it and install and updating it. When i got 78% of updating i found out my updating got bugged it said "WHOOPS! LOOKS LIKE SOMETHING BROKED. GIVE IT ANOTHER SHOT." I try running wc3 launcher several timees, running it as admin or trying restarting the pc but still don't work.
Are you sure you followed the steps in the first post Patch 1.31.1 Backup Files thoroughly, with the registries and all?
Also what Amigoltu wrote and replies to him:

Level 11
I download your wc3 file after downloading, then i try running wc3 launcher then i repair it and install and updating it. When i got 78% of updating i found out my updating got bugged it said "WHOOPS! LOOKS LIKE SOMETHING BROKED. GIVE IT ANOTHER SHOT." I try running wc3 launcher several timees, running it as admin or trying restarting the pc but still don't work. :(
I believe you shouldn't have repaired it, nor updated it. Just copy files from the zip archive on a CLEAN system - with any other wc3 versions deleted, registry cleared of warcraft (personally I cleared entire Blizz Entertainment folder, don't do it if you have other Blizzard games). After that, try opening Warcraft III.exe, or Launcher.exe, and proceed with earlier instructions on this thread.

IMPORTANT: Once you activate Warcraft 3, don't open launcher again. Always launch from Warcraft III.exe

Mine is also not working I created a file in my documents and after opening warcraft 3 the custom campaign is still empty. Pls help
Apparently, there MUST be a folder specifically named "Campaigns" (Case insensitive) inside folder "Warcraft III" in Documents directory.

Now, three questions:
  • Do you have any other Warcraft versions on your PC? (Not sure if relevant, but maybe that's causing issues)
  • Are you trying to access "Documents" folder on another Windows Account?
  • Are the versions of the Custom Campaigns compatible with your game version? (I'd suggest making a small test campagn yourself to see if it displays)

Level 20
Are those files (1.31.1) compatible with MacOS Catalina (version 10.15.5) ?
You're free to try, but it is a Windows version, so it probably won't work on Mac.

I download your wc3 file after downloading, then i try running wc3 launcher then i repair it and install and updating it. When i got 78% of updating i found out my updating got bugged it said "WHOOPS! LOOKS LIKE SOMETHING BROKED. GIVE IT ANOTHER SHOT." I try running wc3 launcher several timees, running it as admin or trying restarting the pc but still don't work.
If you deviated from what I wrote in the OP and you run a Blizzard updater/patcher then chances are that it was trying to update this to 1.32. Your best best is probably to just delete what you have (including all other W3 installations and W3 related registry keys) and redownload.

---

If you have any maps that don't open in the editor or don't show up in game (and you're convinced they were not saved in 1.32+ in which case they won't work), post them here. I can see maps/campaigns just fine with this version, so I can at least verify if it's something likely related to the map or the game.

Last edited:
Level 8
I figured it, i just have to disable or uninstall any 3rd party program to continue updating it to fix that error. I got long hours of updating and i see the file folder runs 22gb and yep after update, i didn't get the 1.31 i got 1.32, shame on me. :(
BTW i just read your reply minute ago i was late to read it in a lot of time and going for another plan to download 1.31.
I deleted my current version of wc3 which is 1.27 from my 1st download last 2 weeks, because i download TFT in blizzards download from the website. There are 3 ways to get wc3 in blizzards download from website, the TFT or ROC to get 1.31 (which i think) and the Reforge. I got confuse which i would download the TFT or the ROC but still the same, after install and update i can still have a 22gb+ file size that runs as 1.32 version.
The 2nd download was my 1st comment above which is still i got 1.32.
This is for my windows 8 laptop to have wc3 not reforge.

Last edited:
Level 20
There are 3 ways to get wc3 in blizzards download from website, the TFT or ROC to get 1.31 (which i think) and the Reforge. I got confuse which i would download the TFT or the ROC but still the same, after install and update i can still have a 22gb+ file size that runs as 1.32 version.
Anything you download directly from Blizzard will install 1.32.

If you want a different version, you have to use file backups, such as the one in this thread and make sure that you do not let it update.

Level 11
I figured it, i just have to disable or uninstall any 3rd party program to continue updating it to fix that error. I got long hours of updating and i see the file folder runs 22gb and yep after update, i didn't get the 1.31 i got 1.32, shame on me. :(
BTW i just read your reply minute ago i was late to read it in a lot of time and going for another plan to download 1.31.
I deleted my current version of wc3 which is 1.27 from my 1st download last 2 weeks, because i download TFT in blizzards download from the website. There are 3 ways to get wc3 in blizzards download from website, the TFT or ROC to get 1.31 (which i think) and the Reforge. I got confuse which i would download the TFT or the ROC but still the same, after install and update i can still have a 22gb+ file size that runs as 1.32 version.
The 2nd download was my 1st comment above which is still i got 1.32.
This is for my windows 8 laptop to have wc3 not reforge.
If you run the update, you'll get Reforged. So don't update (Unless you want Reforged).
Downloading from the site will also get you Reforged, as Blizzard no longer supports or provides original game patches.

If you want patch 1.31, you must download 1.31 backup from this site and activate it. Don't update.

ABOUT VERSION COMPATIBILITY:
Warcraft 3 versions 1.27 and below shouldn't be necessary to delete, as they use a different path for savegames (Warcraft 3 directory/Maps). So, if you have 1.27 or below, you can download and install 1.29 - 1.31 without problems I believe.

In other words:
You should be able to have version 1.27 (or older) and 1.29 - 1.31 both, on the same computer. This shouldn't cause issues.

Level 20
Also, in regards to updating - follow the instructions in the OP and you should be fine, unless you're using the Battle.Net app which may start to automatically update the game. If you are using this app, make sure that you go to Settings -> Game Install/Update -> check "Never automatically apply updates", basically like this:

Update.jpg

Also, if it starts updating, as long as you quickly pause it (while it's checking dependencies and whatnot), you should be fine too. For that reason, the first time you run the Battle.Net app after setting up backed up W3, switch to W3 immidiately and check if it isn't updating. If it is, pause it using the button to the right of the progress bar.

---

P.S. Updated the OP with some extra tips from the last couple of pages, including this one.

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
If you are using this app, make sure that you go to Settings -> Game Install/Update -> check "Never automatically apply updates", basically like this:
The app still updates my game regardless.
Also, if it starts updating, as long as you quickly pause it (while it's checking dependencies and whatnot), you should be fine too. For that reason, the first time you run the Battle.Net app after setting up backed up W3, switch to W3 immidiately and check if it isn't updating. If it is, pause it using the button to the right of the progress bar.
That only worked the first time. After that it still updates. Good thing I don't use the app that often and if I do, I quickly start a game as that pauses the update.

Level 8
Done i have the wc3 1.31 that you have, it was so simple steps.

I have a question where is the mpq, campaign folder and other files locate in warcraft III folder? I got error if i play the singleplayer campaign plus i can't play lan.

Another question, the game is too laggy even if i lowered all the graphics still laggy than my current version 1.27 works fine even if i highered the graphics.

Last edited:
Level 11
I have a question where is the mpq, campaign folder and other files locate in warcraft III folder?
No more MPQs since 1.30 patch (See my post below). Warcraft 3 now uses CASC database files, and you need CascView (linked below) to extract data. Custom Campaigns folder, as well as Maps folder are saved in "C:\Users\[ur username]\Documents\Warcraft III" directory.

Casc Storages - Main page

I got error if i play the singleplayer campaign plus i can't play lan.
For one, run Warcraft III.exe as Administrator.
Secondly, try this fix:
1.31.0 FPS/Crash fix.

Another question, the game is too laggy even if i lowered all the graphics still laggy than my current version 1.27 works fine even if i highered the graphics.
I wonder if you are having the same problem as people here:
Lag spikes in newer patches (1.31 , 1.31.1)
1.31.0 Patch lags?

Additionally, this is what Blizzard suggested to do:
Warcraft 3 Stutter

And this is what people also suggested to do:
1.31.0 FPS/Crash fix.

Also, could you post your computer system specifications? Patches 1.29 - 1.31 were being optimized for newer systems, so insufficient RAM or GPU memory may also be causing performance issues.

It's seemingly a problem with the patch itself, and if none of the above work, the only thing I could suggest in that case, is to either try to mess with it like people did in the thread above, or download patch 1.30.4, which is more stable.

Last edited:
Level 8
No more MPQs since 1.30 patch. Warcraft 3 now uses CASC database files, and you need CascView (linked below) to extract data. Custom Campaigns folder, as well as Maps folder are saved in "C:\Users\[ur username]\Documents\Warcraft III" directory.

Casc Storages - Main page
IDK where it locates the CASC database file from the WC3 Folder.

IDK either if i still use can use model viewer, MilkShape3d, WC3 ModelEditor and Retera's MatrixEater3d model without the mpq file.

And some setting doesn't function at all like the Gamma if adjust the light and dark doesn't work.

Last edited:
Level 11
IDK where it locates the CASC database file from the WC3 Folder.

IDK either if i still use can use model viewer, MilkShape3d, WC3 ModelEditor and Retera's MatrixEater3d model without the mpq file.

And some setting doesn't function at all like the Gamma if adjust the light and dark doesn't work.
Open CascView, press Open Storage and select "data" folder in your Warcraft 3 directory, as shown below:

casc_list-gif.360789

EDIT: Looking at this now, I must rephrase myself. MPQ files do exist, but they are inside the CASC database. Apparently this was done so Blizzard would have more control over the game, according to Casc Storages - Main page

Attachments

• casc_list.gif
    casc_list.gif
    281.5 KB · Views: 820
Last edited:
Level 11
Nice now i'm almost done with the problems but the last one is some setting doesn't function at all like the Gamma if i adjust it to lighter or darker doesn't work.

Wow you have an MPQ mine don't have it
View attachment 360791
Tested it out, and apparently, it doesn't matter what folder you open with CascView. You may as well select Warcraft III directory itself, and it'll open all the libraries needed.

As for your case, what version of Warcraft 3 are you using? Mine is 1.30.4, that's the view I get. Maybe someone with other versions (1.29 or 1.31) can show what they see in CascView?

FOR GAMMA SETTING:
To unlock Gamma Slider (And Resolution option) in Warcraft 3, you need to add following options to the shortcut "Target" section:
-nativefullscr (or -windowmode fullscreen, try either)
-graphicsapi Direct3D9

You may try both of these, or either one. Should unlock it.
For my 1.30.4 version, -nativefullscr -graphicsapi Direct3D9 worked.

Last edited:
Level 11
But i really need MPQ files to directory for Modelling tools in WC3.
So it can open default skin or model of unit from MPQ.

Edited: Either way nvrmine ill just download old version of wc3 to get the mpq files
Your war3.war3mod file seems to have everything war3.mpq should have by default. You may extract that folder and make it into MPQ archive using MPQ Editor.
Ladik's MPQ Editor 32bit

Level 14
@MasterBlaster

Ive easily figured out what is safe to just delete to make your download look like a "fresh" 1.31.1 install. Folderwise delete everything but Data and the 32/64 bit folders should only be 3.

As for the main file there should only be about 3. Patch, product and another ill have to send a ss later.

Also reforged and 1.31.1 install will share the same documents wc3 folder and i havnt noticed any issues. Best to name the classic downloads folder Warcraft 1 or 3 or whatever just differentiate it from the warcraft III it really affects nothing on my end.

Grateful for this download. Keep it forever unless reforged somehow doesnt break the majority of maps when stuff FINALLY is implemented. Let us pray

Level 14
Yeah, that would be nice - given a bit of testing, I could test it on my end and upload a "fresh" version.

Yup, that's my intention :)

Not sure if experiences may vary.
Hope a reupload doesnt break anything.

Keep a backup before you delete stuff and reupload for surr

The 32 bit file probably isnt needed either even but i wasnt about to mess with it further.

Some people may want to use that anyway for whatever reason.

Attachments

• 20200822_095746.jpg
    20200822_095746.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 87
Level 2
It Stuck like "not responding" when using "World Editor" to edit text on Windows 10.

I found that this error is caused by the update of the input method.

So, turn on "Use previous version of input method" to solve this problem.

My English is not good, but I like it here. I hope I can help people who have the same problem.

Below is a demonstration, two ways.

I am sorry, I am using a Chinese system. I think it can be set according to the picture(demo). Should be easy to complete :)

e9ff8f18367adab45572911b9cd4b31c8601e42a.jpg

2bcf24f5e0fe99251693e30823a85edf8cb17135.jpg

Level 3
This has lan functionalities right? and loads from the War3Mod.mpq folder as well?

I'd like to use this as the version that the mod i'm working on relies on, and link to this thread for proper installation of the mod since I can't use reforged as a base for the mod for more reasons than I can count.

Level 20
@Anaxie - I've tested your way of trimming the client and it appears to work just fine. I'll upload the new version of the download plus add an instruction on how to trim the old one either later today or tomorrow.

EDIT: Done :)

Last edited: