• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Patch 1.31.1 Backup Files

Level 11
I think version 1.31 is the most stable (with native widescreen resolution) but also the one with the most bugs ...
The most annoying is the lack of inventory for tyrande (campagnia degli elfi n.2) and grom (orchi campaign n.7)
Has anyone managed to solve without upgrading to reforged?
I think version 1.30.4 is better, for it still has that widescreen support, but less bugs, etc. However, if you TRULY want to get into modding/modeling, I would highly suggest ditching that widescreen support and using patch 1.27. That's the Golden WC3, with the MPQ data files and all.

1.29.2 still uses MPQ, support widescreen and have the new natives/triggers. (Not to mention you can still use WEX/JNGP in this version), although it has a bug in changing item name and tooltips when you use triggers/scripts (this is the only known bug in this version that's listed in the logs).

But I am currently making and editing maps in 1.30.4 (I agree it is really the recent most stable version) until Blizzard fix all the bugs they introduced in the editor since 1.31 (But I am playing maps in the latest version). I however do not recommend 1.27 since it is too old and doesn't support maps made in later versions (which mean all maps made past April 2016 are unplayable in patch 1.27).

Last edited:
Level 20
1.29.2 still uses MPQ, support widescreen and have the new natives/triggers. (Not to mention you can still use WEX/JNGP in this version), although it has a bug in changing item name and tooltips when you use triggers/scripts (this is the only known bug in this version that's listed in the logs).

But I am currently making and editing maps in 1.30.4 (I agree it is really the recent most stable version) until Blizzard fix all the bugs they introduced in the editor since 1.31 (But I am playing maps in the latest version).
If you're using the new Blz functions introduced in 1.29 you also have to deal with the indexing not being consistent between all the patches between that and 1.31 when they were all zero indexed. You can get different results without changing any function because of this.

If you don't use the Blz functions at all (or they aren't indexed) then that doesn't matter.

I however do not recommend 1.27 since it is too old and doesn't support maps made in later versions (which mean all maps made past April 2016 are unplayable in patch 1.27).
The same is not true for the reverse.

Level 2
Then it is not the most stable, you just contradicted what you said.

yes I meant it is better implemented (directx 11 support and higher frame rate), sorry

anyway, is there a way to fix the campaign bugs present in version 1.31 (especially for the lack of inventory in some heroes)?

Level 23
You, my friend, you are a damn genius! I mean, I love you, right now I love you. My frustration with patch 1.32 was... and now I have my beloved Warcraft III again. I just love you, I love you. A million thanks really, I had to struggle a bit with the black screen but in the end it started.

Level 2
Where do I exactly put the campaigns cause I have put them into the main war3 folder and the x86 folder and they still do not show up?

Level 1
first of all thank you so much
after spending the entire night downloading the file because of the stupid internet speed in where i live i got it it work fine no issues i used my key from the ancient CD i own and it worked fine.
just two questions:
1- i still have the old classic one but i could not update it to 1.31 because it will force to download the 30 gig thing so i got your version which i don't know if i can combine it with the old one or should i delete the original because i wanted to play custom camping.
3- the original game run fine in wide screen but the new even it recognize the resolution still run in non wide screen

Level 7
First of all, MasterBlaster, thanks a lot for the great post!

Thank you for doing this man. When I opened my own backup of 1.30, the CD-KEY screen popped up, but was entirely blank... Like frozen or something. Only after I deleted all of Blizzard Entertainment registry, started the Launcher once, and renamed the folder, did I finally get the CD-Key window to finally work, and I could enter them.
Hi Amigoltu,

First of all, thanks for the message!

I have the same problem as you do, and I tried to follow your advice, but I would like to be sure I do the right thing, since it does not work for me.

1) I deleted the Blizzard entertainment regedit keys folder entirely.

2) I started

C:\Program Files (x86)\Warcraft III\Warcraft III Launcher.exe

3) I renamed the C:\Program Files (x86)\Warcraft III

to

C:\Program Files (x86)\a

Is that the folder I had to rename?

Nothing works, I still have the same problem:

Window named "Warcraft III CD Key Required", entirely grey, without any possibility to input my CD Key.

I tried to move the window in and out of the screen, I tried to click everywhere on the window, bottom left and elsewhere, nothing works.

I looked on the internet, and I found similar solutions, but nothing works. (Warcraft III v1.28.3+ - Supported software - PlayOnMac - Run your Windows applications on Mac easily!, Warcraft III CD Key Required - BNet login issue).

Would someone have any other idea? :p

Download Link is not working

Can anyone check and help ?
All links work for me. Which link are you talking about?

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 11
First of all, MasterBlaster, thanks a lot for the great post!

Hi Amigoltu,

First of all, thanks for the message!

I have the same problem as you do, and I tried to follow your advice, but I would like to be sure I do the right thing, since it does not work for me.

1) I deleted the Blizzard entertainment regedit keys folder entirely.

2) I started

C:\Program Files (x86)\Warcraft III\Warcraft III Launcher.exe

3) I renamed the C:\Program Files (x86)\Warcraft III

to

C:\Program Files (x86)\a

Is that the folder I had to rename?

Nothing works, I still have the same problem:

Window named "Warcraft III CD Key Required", entirely grey, without any possibility to input my CD Key.

I tried to move the window in and out of the screen, I tried to click everywhere on the window, bottom left and elsewhere, nothing works.

I looked on the internet, and I found similar solutions, but nothing works. (Warcraft III v1.28.3+ - Supported software - PlayOnMac - Run your Windows applications on Mac easily!, Warcraft III CD Key Required - BNet login issue).

Would someone have any other idea? :p
First of all, if you had any Warcraft 3 version installed before (especially Reforged), uninstall it (make backups if you want to). After uninstalling it, clear the Registry. Other than that...

I said I had to open Launcher once because, then, the Launcher kinda began "installing" the game, which I allowed it to do, but it stopped very quickly, as all the files were there already. I had to rename Warcraft 3 directory folder, as the installation wasn't happy about it being named default (Warcraft III) for some reason. After that, the CD-Key screen loaded correctly.

Play around with it. Try opening the WarcraftIII.exe instead of Launcher, or something. See how it goes.

Last edited:
Level 7
First of all, if you had any Warcraft 3 version installed before (especially Reforged), uninstall it (make backups if you want to). After uninstalling it, clear the Registry. Other than that...

I said I had to open Launcher once because, then, the Launcher kinda began "installing" the game, which I allowed it to do, but it stopped very quickly, as all the files were there already. I had to rename Warcraft 3 directory folder, as the installation wasn't happy about it being named default (Warcraft III) for some reason. After that, the CD-Key screen loaded correctly.

Play around with it. Try opening the WarcraftIII.exe instead of Launcher, or something. See how it goes.
Thanks for the quick answer, I'll try to do it and to document what I do in case it can help others. I wondered if it would be useful to reinstall reforged in case it "puts" the cd key somewhere, and tells the other potential installs "it is already there". I don't know if my idea is relevant at all...!

In any case, I'll try everything and come back here.

Quick question in case someone knows the answer: if I played custom campaign on the last version of the game before Reforged, can I use my saved game with other versions/installations of the game?

Level 1
Hi everyone, I just created an account to thank you MasterBlaster for putting this together! My old Frozen Throne Copy was somehow force updated. I used your DL and blocked the Warcraft III.exe in the x86_64 folder. Everything looks perfect, I never would've figured this out on my own, thanks again!

Last edited:
Level 4
Someone help me

After entering cd key....

box appears on my screen saying
" The application encountered unexpected error "

Last edited:
Level 11
Someone help me

After entering cd key....

box appears on my screen saying
" The application encountered unexpected error "
  • Are your CD keys valid and purchased from Blizzard website? (Should be)
  • Were you connected to internet when activating? (Should be)
  • Did you actually get the proper CD-Key activation window working? The one that asks for RoC and TfT keys?
  • Is your Warcraft III application, or Launcher.exe blocked by Firewall, Anti-virus, etc.? (Shouldn't be)
For now, these are the things I can think to check off the top of my head. Try them out.

UPDATE for blank screen situation:
Got to do this again on new PC. It was easier this time, as Warcraft 3 was never installed on this system before.

Anyways, when the CD-Key Enter screen pops up, if it turns black, you are good. Wait for a bit (I waited for like 10 secs), and it should show the proper Blizz screen.

Last edited:
Level 4
  • Are your CD keys valid and purchased from Blizzard website? (Should be)
  • Were you connected to internet when activating? (Should be)
  • Did you actually get the proper CD-Key activation window working? The one that asks for RoC and TfT keys?
  • Is your Warcraft III application, or Launcher.exe blocked by Firewall, Anti-virus, etc.? (Shouldn't be)
For now, these are the things I can think to check off the top of my head. Try them out.

UPDATE for blank screen situation:
Got to do this again on new PC. It was easier this time, as Warcraft 3 was never installed on this system before.

Anyways, when the CD-Key Enter screen pops up, if it turns black, you are good. Wait for a bit (I waited for like 10 secs), and it should show the proper Blizz screen.

My key is valid

Actually it worked for me now, I opened Warcraft.exe file through " run as admin "

And It worked now

Problem solved

Level 7
Hi again,

I tried everything, and in the end:

My key is valid

Actually it worked for me now, I opened Warcraft.exe file through " run as admin "

And It worked now

Problem solved

running the exe as admin solved the issue. A-ma-zing, thanks a lot :)

Good to hear :) Thank you, guys - @Amigoltu in particular - for providing tech support :)

Thanks again for the great help!

Level 7
thank you so much im so happy it worked when public test was updated to reforged i was so mad i had no space in my pc and didint count to get a new one or improve it im glad i found a version without reforged 1000000 of blessings upon you thank you so much !!!!

Level 20
But you can launch the editor and open .w3x maps?

I'm using my upload too, so if you wouldn't mind sending me a .w3m map, I could see if I can open it (i.e. if it's a more general issue or something that happens to you).

Ender Wiggins said:

They only have installers, whichever patch installer you download there downloads Reforged. (Downloading with Warcraft Installer downloads the latest patch, same with the PTR installer).

Your only hope of getting old versions of the game is by looking for backup files, like this thread.

Last edited:
Level 20
@Ender Wiggins - I checked and that map doesn't load for me either.

I did some @Uncle stalking :D I got the impression that he's using 1.32 and like @Drake53 said, I too have seen reports that Reforged maps cannot be opened in pevious versions of the game, even if they don't use any Reforged-specific stuff.

Level 1
Hi and thank you for make this 1.31 backup, works perfectly in english but when i put in my language (spanish) the game has micro freezes before each dialog, I guess it happens in other languages too, any way for solve this? Thank you for your help.

Level 20
has micro freezes before each dialog, I guess it happens in other languages too
Honestly - it probably happens because, like I said, this is an originally English installation and circumventing that might cause some errors like the one you mentioned, but I have no idea how to fix it other than trying to get a version of W3 that was originally in your language.

Level 1
I use w3's 1.26 version, but I can't find the Arkain campaigns completely clear. It always gives error. How can I fix this? Thank you for your support.

I use w3's 1.26 version, but I can't find the Arkain campaigns completely clear. It always gives error. How can I fix this? Thank you for your support.

Because you can't play Arkain in 1.26, the campaign was saved in patch 1.29+, obviously you need to patch your game to 1.29~1.31 (or 1.32). Just download this 1.31 backup to be able to play Arkain campaign. If you have any other questions related to Arkain you should message Shar Dundred.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Because you can't play Arkain in 1.26, the campaign was saved in patch 1.29+, obviously you need to patch your game to 1.29~1.31 (or 1.32). Just download this 1.31 backup to be able to play Arkain campaign. If you have any other questions related to Arkain you should message Shar Dundred.
Actually, Shar Dundred recommends 1.29
[Need Help] Back to 1.29

Level 20
I use w3's 1.26 version, but I can't find the Arkain campaigns completely clear. It always gives error. How can I fix this?
I don't understand why you chose to ask this question here as it's neither a thread about 1.26 nor Legends of Arkain :) But like @Strydhaizer said, the campaign requires at least 1.29 and as such is incompatible with your W3 version. There is nothing that can be done - if you want to play LoA, you need to upgrade to 1.29 or higher.

Level 2
C:\Users\WindowsProfileName>\Documents\Warcraft III\Campaign
I follow the instruction in the comments.

Attachments

• IMG_20200623_190208.jpg
    IMG_20200623_190208.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 117
Level 1
Hello, I have followed all the steps that were said at the beginning but when I enter the game and I cannot play the personalized campaigns, I don't get any, nor the one that comes with the game. Can anyone tell me what to do?