• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Paired Mapping Contest #2 Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 24
The judging has been finished for the 2nd paired mapping contest, and the winners are Taur and ragingspeedhorn, with their entry Hell Scream's Party. In 2nd place came Deskalada & Pyritie, with When Servers Collide, in 3rd place came Maelstrom_ & The_Twinz, with Trials Of Kalimdor and in last place came Spammy & Joelimphi with their entry, Mini-Games. Congratulations to everyone who participated in the contest!

Level 24
Judging

CriteriaCommentMarks
Mini-GamesThe ideas for the mini-games were great, were original and were made really well. They were fun to play, which is the most important thing, and in most cases don't get boring after playing them a couple of times, and they usually remain fun.13/15
TerrainThe terrain in this map looked great. It was detailed, the tiles looked great, custom models enhanced the terrain (while the filesize was kept low) and the terrain was mostly practical with the mini-games. Some of the mini-games lacked some detail, but overall the terrain was great.9/10
TriggersThe triggers in this map looked great. The leaks were all fixed, although there are a couple of problems with them. For example, in the capture the flag game, I got the flag, took it back to my base, but nothing happened, and then after about 5 seconds wc3 crashed. That only happened to me once, but still something you should look into. However the triggering look great, completly leaked free and apart from that one crash basically works perfectly.8/10
Originality & CreativityThe mini-games in this map were very original and creative. Most of the ideas were completly original, and I had never played before in a map. Some of the mini-games (such as capture the flag, king of the hill) had been done before, but apart from that the games were pretty much completly original.8/10
QualityThere were some major bugs in two of the mini-games, the ninja one and the penguin racing one, and there were smaller bugs in other games, but overall the mini-games were pretty much completly playable.8/10

Results
Overall Judging: 46/55
Votes: 18
Overall Score: 64
CriteriaCommentMarks
Mini-GamesThe mini-games in this map were ok, some of them were fun, some of them were not so fun. However what I was disappointed about was that I only played 4 games, and then it just started repeating the same games again. Now while I think that they were made well, I did not really like the ideas that you guys had for the mini-games. Just things like run laps and pick up an item and return it to a building.8/15
TerrainThe terrain looked ok. The tiles were good, but that was all there was. Don't think I saw any doodads or anything else to add some detail to it, just blizzard cliffs and tiles.3/10
TriggersThe triggers looked like they all worked well in this map. All leaks were fixed, which is great, and all the triggers seamed to work fine.7/10
Originality & CreativityThe mini-games didn't really seam that original. The AOS thing, where you have merged Party and AOS into one map is something new, and it worked as well. The mini-games were basic stuff though, which has all been done before.4/10
QualityThe quality of this map was ok. The triggers worked great, the terrain was ok, but the mini-games needed a lot more work. It seamed very incomplete, with only 4 mini-games, and each hero only had one spell pretty much, so some more spells would of been nice. So overall the map was ok.5/10

Results
Overall Judging: 27/55
Votes: 18
Overall Score: 45
CriteriaCommentMarks
Mini-GamesThe mini-games were all fun, made well, but not very original. They were mostly fun, although some of the games seamed a bit boring, and incomplete.7/15
TerrainThe terrain for this was good. It had detail, and tile variation, although in some places lacking detail, overall the terrain was good.7/10
TriggersThe triggers looked like they all worked, and the leaks were mostly fixed, although there were still some leaks that needed to be fixed. The triggering work looked good, but could still use some work.6/10
Originality & CreativityBasically all of the ideas used in this map I have seen done before. I think there were maybe 1 or 2 original ideas, but mostly the ideas weren't original and had been used before.3.5/10
QualitySome things in this map were really annoying. One thing would be choosing which mini-games you want to play, it just has a circle of power, and a unit standing behind it. There is no way of knowing which mini-game is what, which is really annoying. Also some of the mini-games were a bit incomplete, especially the TD. There were hardly any towers, and you could not even see how many lives you had left. Overall a decent map, but a lot of work still needed.6/10

Results
Overall Judging: 29.5/55
Votes: 11
Overall Score: 40.5
CriteriaCommentMarks
Mini-GamesYou had some nice ideas and concepts, but the mini-games themselves were not made very well. Could of been made a lot better. Overall the mini-games were creative for the most part, but bugs and other errors made them much less fun then they could of been. However some of them were fun, and I enjoyed playing them.7/15
TerrainThe terrain seamed very boring a lot of the time. In a couple of parts the terrain looked ok, but overall the terrain needs a lot more work. Mostly it was just blizzard cliffs or trees just creating a barrier around the mini-game, and nothing else. Some mini-games though had decent terrain, but it still needs a lot of work.4/10
TriggersThe triggers could of been done a lot better. For example, in the Tauren Skiing one, you could of made it a lot better by allowing players to be able to hold down the key, but you made it so you have to keep on pressing it. Leaks in the map weren't fixed, which should be fixed to improve map performance.4/10
Originality & CreativityA lot of the ideas in here were really creative and original, such as the Tauren Skiing one, great idea. Some of them were a bit unoriginal, but overall the ideas were original.7/10
QualityThe quality of this map wasn't the best. The triggers leaked, and sometimes didn't work the way they were suppose to. However the mini-games were fun mostly, and I enjoyed playing the map, but basically everything in this map can be improved a lot.4/10

Results
Overall Judging: 26/55
Votes: 7
Overall Score: 33

Wait... if Hell Scream's party got an 8/10 for triggers when
The triggers in this map looked great. The leaks were all fixed, although there are a couple of problems with them. For example, in the capture the flag game, I got the flag, took it back to my base, but nothing happened, and then after about 5 seconds wc3 crashed. That only happened to me once, but still something you should look into. However the triggering look great, completly leaked free and apart from that one crash basically works perfectly.
Then why did we only get a 7/10 if we had
The triggers looked like they all worked well in this map. All leaks were fixed, which is great, and all the triggers seamed to work fine.

And for
The terrain looked ok. The tiles were good, but that was all there was. Don't think I saw any doodads or anything else to add some detail to it, just blizzard cliffs and tiles.
Apparently you didn't explore the whole map. There are parts with much more doodads in the top-right and bottom-left of the main map area.

Something smells fishy.

Level 11
Whee :) Raging and I will continue to work on our map though, there were some bugs and hopefullly we'll have a good version with more minigames released soon.

Something smells fishy.
Maybe like your bribing people to vote for you...

And even if you got that 8/10 for example... you're still a good 18 points behind.

It's not the fact that raging won. It's the fact that he won with almost twice the score of the person in second place.

I propose this rule for subsequent contests: The winner of one contest (for example this one) cannot win the subsequent contest (i.e. Paired mapping contest #3). They can participate, but they can't take 1st place.
That and there should be more than one judge, just to be sure.

Level 11
Pyritie you cannot possibly believe that you could win a party map contest with 4 not that original minigames.

Besides, raging did not win the previous contest anyways. If you look at the detail and effort we put into making games fun (we really did go through a few drafts for several minigames before we were happy about how fun they were) and visually applealing you would realize why bob judged us so.

Level 12
Congratz Rage/Taur, well deserved.

===

How about we simply have NO poll in future, and instead ppl vote by replying with reasons why they are voting for a map.

Requesting/Bribing ppl to vote for you, really ruins the whole competition.
I didnt see one reply, with someone giving reasons for their vote for WSC, it was all votes, no comments.

Requesting/Bribing ppl to vote for you, really ruins the whole competition.
I didnt see one reply, with someone giving reasons for their vote for WSC, it was all votes, no comments.

I only saw like one or two replied giving reasons for their vote for HSP as well.

And how many times do I have to say that I didn't bribe people!

Level 7
What I find the worse about these competitions, is the ginormous effect voting has on the end score.

As I can see, they make up over 35% of WSC's score!

Something needs to be changed. The judging score should be worth more points or instead votes / 2 are added to the score instead of the full ammount.

Anyways, ToK got a better score (not including votes) than WSC :).

Good job everybody. Good job on the Hellscream map.

Level 3
Trials Of Kalimdor was best, I think.
I played all the games on b.net today and actually Trials of Kalimdor by far is the best in my opinion. It's way more developed and has much nicer terrain than Hellscream's Party.
Thanks, :) and yet we came third. XD I think the best map did come first but I can't say the same about second place...

WSC got 8/15 for minigames, ToK got 7/15. :hohum:

Congrats Raginspeedhorn and Taur :infl_thumbs_up:

In future it would be good if the votes were done much differently. Maybe if 1st place in poll got +30% onto their jugded score, 2nd +20% and 3rd +10%. Just something rather than adding the raw mark would be good. Currently the value of Bobs judging is lowered if the poll is very popular. Also to maybe help stop people rigging the poll make everyone post a comment or their vote is discounted.

@Bob27: Could you be so kind and Pm me with some more details about where my triggers had flaws/leaks. I would also like to know where i lost those 4 marks. :)

Level 12
There simply shouldnt be a poll, it should be manditory to reply to vote, with reasons for your choices.
It was obviously just ppl getting there friends to vote for their map. I bet half the ppl who voted didnt even dl the maps let alone play them.

Also, perhaps the 1month was a little short. Would have been great if wed got some more entries.

Level 2
Congrats Taur and Ragingspeedhorn :thumbs_up: Good Stuff.

Where was my terrain lacking detail? The soccer game? I didn't think the open field needed anything.

It's probably just me, but I vote for AoS for the paired mapping theme :grin: It would be nice to see what creativity & originality can come from the popular genre.

Status
Not open for further replies.