1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Join the 6th Melee Mapping Contest for a chance to have your map featured in this year's Hive Cup!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Shoot to thrill, play to kill. Sate your hunger with the 33rd Modeling Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Do you hear boss music? It's the 17th Mini Mapping Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Let your favorite entries duke it out in the 15th Techtree Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Weave light to take you to your highest hopes - the 6th Special Effect Contest is here!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Open Source Projects

Discussion in 'Latest Updates and News' started by Mythic, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    This is a fascinating new addition to the Hive, & I think I largely approve of it. I'm not sure how much I would personally benefit/submit to it, but still.

I do think we should be hearing from the Guys In Charge about some of the questions you guys are raising, though (as opposed to guessing).

2. Nudl9

Nudl9

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    All my melee maps show up under open source and when i didn't tag them.
    The original thread text says open source and free to edit.
    It should be more clear cut and dry imo, separate the two.

There are some melee maps that i've invested a large amount of time into that i wouldn't want edits of because it undermines my work. But i wouldn't mind sharing work that i don't care about.

If we have this option it should be tagged by the creator, not by default.
    A cutoff could be implemented where all maps that aren't updated after 5 years are open.
    Sort of how ips become public property after 50 years.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  3. Himperion

Himperion

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I could put it on 2 or 3 years of inactivity and being imposible to locate even with mediums or smoke signals, the inmediate future looks like we're going to live a second age of broken patches,so 24 months of a broken map in the archive is reasonable.

4. P-Exodus

P-Exodus

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I think it's a cool addition, I've added my already open source version of Battle Tanks to this category.

I've made it open source because I knew I wouldn't have time and motivation to work on the map anymore. My hope was that someone make something useful out of it. Several people contacted me over the years, because they used the map and wanted to do something with it. One of them started releasing regular updates to his own version of the map ... he is now the offical mapper of BT.

Without the move to open source (at least that one version), the community and map would now be long dead. But right now we have a community that is still active after about 15 years, even with another iteration of a league. So I have no doubt that this was absolutely the right choice to make.

5. IcemanBo

IcemanBo

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Join us now and share the software

6. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Map Moderator

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    That sounds like a bug, we're going to look into that.

7. Ralle

Ralle

Owner

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Ah. Instructions might have been different from the intention of the tag then. I feel like this is on me.

I did order the staff to tag any open source map, but that definition is quite vague. Open source technically means that the source is accessible (i.e. can be opened in WE). But the tag is clearly targeted more at maps that are free to edit, etc. Open source in its purest sense doesn’t encompass that entitlement.

We really need a real licensing system. I am sorry if we messed up in some of the tags. I should have been more direct in what it means.

@Nudl9 can you edit your maps to not contain this tag?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  8. Nudl9

Nudl9

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I seem to have figured it out.
    The search system uses tags additively, so if i check the tags open source + melee, all melee maps and open source maps show up as well.
    The system seems to work out as intended then.
    I didn't check how the search system worked the first time.

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      593.8 KB
      Views:
  9. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It's a site error. Many maps when uploaded come with that tag on for some reason.
    Of course this is based on author decision. The opening post basically implies that. As I mentioned above, it's a site coding issue, I think.
    You want something like losing intellectual property 70 years after death?
    The problem with that is that no one can become an official editor of such maps because then everyone will have the right to edit. So, as with the 70 years stuff, no one could then say, but it's my map now.

10. Himperion

Himperion

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I was answering to a poster saying to open the maps after a 5 years delay. I'm talking about it in a "manteniance clause" way for those maps that get bugged when a new patch appears, and the Owner puffed out of existence and can't do the repairs. In that case, open, repair, upload and wait.

If the owner still don't give any lifesign after a while, send it to full blow open source and call it day.

11. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I'm quite OK with that as long as it's moderated by the staff and the original map thread gets updated.
    That would be disrespectful in the absence of the author though. Fixing and maintaining is one thing, editing quite another.

We need more map maker and reviewer thoughts in here.

12. Nudl9

Nudl9

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Open source is great i think.

I would like another option to allow edits and publish on hive though.

I spoke earlier about how melee maps would benefit from this and improve melee maps as a whole greatly.
    As people play maps and discover new exploits they can be covered faster with small edits.
    Or maps that suffer in one regard but lack in another.

Something like a lisence to publish edits of maps.
    Take a look at how w3reforged and how it handles my map.
    All previous versions and edits are listed beneath.
    I spoke with the author of the site and there was promises of a visual branching of different versions.
    It probably never came to fruition though because it's a complex thing to make.
    But i could see something simpler being implemented.
    Like requesting access to publish an edit of a map, which is hosted alongside the original.
    Or just opening pandoras box to everyone if you so choose.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  13. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I love the idea of automatically hosting edits/versions underneath a given map.

14. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Sure, only don't force users to download all maps in the map thread under one archive each time like now.