• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ogre Pirate

Uploaded this long ago but it got rejected. Now I changed and added a few new things to it. Now the model has an eye-bandage to make it look more ''piratish''. Also changed the spell anim into ''Spell_Punch''; (edited the emitter), and also removed the emitter from the ''Spell_Slam''. I think it's ''piratish'' enough now, for uploading it again. It uses the standard animations of the ogre + one additional custom aimation. Portrait has also the eye-bandage feature. Made initially for pirate campaigns/maps, Stranglethorn maps and an own project of mine, but can be used for other purposes as well! Have fun with it!

EDIT 1: sorry, forgot to remove the Replacable ID 0. After this removal, I re-tested it again. It works and performs ingames as wanted now!
EDIT 2: due to the demands for a change, i added a pistol + Spell_Shoot animation.
EDIT 3: added a piercing in order to make him look more ''piratish''.
EDIT 4: added him a pair of old, trashed, battleworn, used-up, dirty pants.
EDIT 5: applied some minor fixes to the ''Spell_Shoot'' animation. It performs better now and doesn't look so ''stiff & twitchy''.
EDIT 6: made a fitting icon for him. No he can sail and raid better. ;-)

!IMPORTANT FOR THE MOD: I deleted the rejected model and re-uploaded it as a new one coz i couldn't update the rejected one. Pyritie told me long ago it's o.k. to do that:
Pyritie said:
yeah just delete the rejected one and upload as a new one
The thread of this can be found in the Admin Contact Archive as ''Solved''.

Keywords:
ogre, pirate, ogre pirate, ogre sailor, ogre corsair, sea robber, corsair, sailor
Contents

Ogre Pirate (Model)

Ogre Pirate (Model)

Reviews
00:30, 13th Oct 2011 anarchianbedlam: I'm approving it because it might be useful and it works ingame, but this model is 'lacking'. Its a rather simple edit. just a pirate hat and sword slapped on and then given a 'gunshot' animation. the actual...

M

00:30, 13th Oct 2011
anarchianbedlam: I'm approving it because it might be useful and it works ingame, but this model is 'lacking'. Its a rather simple edit. just a pirate hat and sword slapped on and then given a 'gunshot' animation. the actual 'gunshot animation' is a bit twitchy. But it would be nice to see a bit more effort put into this. maybe you could find a way to give this model more character (a pirate coat or boots maybe.)

Shiver mi timbers!

he's shoulder bladez ain't be the pretty sight of the seas, and he ain't using any real swashbuckling attires for the s.s ship "Hive-Bard"!

fix 'em or aiy'l let yah walk to the plank!

Add what to him? Add shoulder plates? Tried to add panties, but it's harder than i thought.... :S

That is an unfortunately small loincloth...
what is a loincloth?

still needs more details, give him a pistol and put a parrot on his shoulder
give him TWO wooden legs, and a hook hand. with a wooden arm. make him entirely out of wood.

if do this it will be a wooden ogre not a pirate. The idea with the parrot is nice idd but i kept this feature only for captains. I'll try 2 add him a pistol + an additional Spell_Shoot anim. :thumbs_up: that nice idea will get you something dude

The problem with this model is that everything in it could be done via simple attachments, therefor making it absolutely useless.
Weapons, hats, helmets, shoulder plates and such can easily be attached using attachments as small as 2 kb. In order to make your model at all useful, you would have to do things that cannot be done with the world editor. For example, changes in his animations, or changes to his actual mesh.
I'm going to have to rate this one a 1/5, for now, sorry.

The problem with this model is that everything in it could be done via simple attachments, therefor making it absolutely useless.
Weapons, hats, helmets, shoulder plates and such can easily be attached using attachments as small as 2 kb. In order to make your model at all useful, you would have to do things that cannot be done with the world editor. For example, changes in his animations, or changes to his actual mesh.
I'm going to have to rate this one a 1/5, for now, sorry.

it has one animation that the other Ogres don't have :)fp: discription, EDIT 2)

One single simple animation isn't enough to make it worth importing a large model that could be done using 2 kb attachments. I've liked a few of your previous models, but many of them simply don't have enough changes to make them worth using.

this specific model can't be made that simply in WC3 editor.....first of all, the one headed ogre there uses the other head and has a weapon already.

You can easily import a weaponless ogre with a much lower file size than this, and then have the ability to use any attachments you want, including the hat and sword that this one has. I would personally rather import one weaponless ogre and be able to make a whole battalion of units out of it with attachments than import a separate ogre model with each weapon.
In order to make this worth importing, it needs to have changes that are not easily done with the editor. For example, changing the wrap. You could make his skin look scarred, or put raggedy clothing hanging from his arms, wrists, legs and such. Possibly change the loincloth (if you don't know what a loincloth is, it's a cloth that covers your loins - Private area).
You could possibly add pants, as this is a pirate. He doesn't have much attire of a pirate; at the moment he looks more like an ogre who murdered a pirate and stole his hat and sword, while leaving everything else.
Maybe you could add some bling, a pirate's gotta have treasure.
At the moment, this is just a couple of very simple geoset rips put onto the ogre: The hat from admiral proudmore, the sword from a skeleton warrior. Yes, geomerging is an acceptable method to create models, but it needs to include much more changing than a couple of attachments.

You can easily import a weaponless ogre with a much lower file size than this, and then have the ability to use any attachments you want, including the hat and sword that this one has. I would personally rather import one weaponless ogre and be able to make a whole battalion of units out of it with attachments than import a separate ogre model with each weapon.
In order to make this worth importing, it needs to have changes that are not easily done with the editor. For example, changing the wrap. You could make his skin look scarred, or put raggedy clothing hanging from his arms, wrists, legs and such. Possibly change the loincloth (if you don't know what a loincloth is, it's a cloth that covers your loins - Private area).
You could possibly add pants, as this is a pirate. He doesn't have much attire of a pirate; at the moment he looks more like an ogre who murdered a pirate and stole his hat and sword, while leaving everything else.
Maybe you could add some bling, a pirate's gotta have treasure.
At the moment, this is just a couple of very simple geoset rips put onto the ogre: The hat from admiral proudmore, the sword from a skeleton warrior. Yes, geomerging is an acceptable method to create models, but it needs to include much more changing than a couple of attachments.

not realy much anymore, and not even much before. As said, the oneheaded ogre uses the other head, to which you can't attach an eyebandage coz it naturally has only one eye. Also the gun can't be attached to it as long as it doesn't have the proper shoot anim. The usual spell anim won't do @ all. I also added the piercing now, which is not worth importing due to its limited usefullness. It is made to fit only into this very one model. I guess it doesn't even fit from it's angle into the ingame ogre-one-headed model.

Level 9
You should change his belly tattoo to a jolly roger!

Now theres a good idea! But Inferno is right, this more or less a very simple edit of the ogre model but theres alot you could do to make it more intresting;

Change his belly tattoo to a skull and crossbones (as suggested by Hell_Raider, rep for that :grin:)

Give him a pirateish open vest, possibly team colored

Change his loincoth to look like a pirate flag

And alot of other things too, just use your imagination.

3/5 as it stand, easily a 4/5 or 5/5 with some more work. :thumbs_up:

Regards,

Jake

Now theres a good idea! But Inferno is right, this more or less a very simple edit of the ogre model but theres alot you could do to make it more intresting;

Change his belly tattoo to a skull and crossbones (as suggested by Hell_Raider, rep for that :grin:)

Give him a pirateish open vest, possibly team colored

Change his loincoth to look like a pirate flag

And alot of other things too, just use your imagination.

3/5 as it stand, easily a 4/5 or 5/5 with some more work. :thumbs_up:

Regards,

Jake
the ideas are nice, but the possibility of execution(s) is another question......
i'll do a little experiment with a few modelling programs, if they work as i want, i will add a few more edits to it.

Level 7
Well.. The point of "TLI-Inferno" is you need to be more creative.
This is really simple in my personal view.

I meant, that there are too much holes and pants just have too low quality, it can be improved by several changes in wrap

Well sometimes his legs cross through pants, that means, that you made a mistake somewhere, while working on his pants..
The pants are supposed to be creepy-looking, as pirates certainly didn't wash their clothes. Besides, they're supposed to be pants of a veteran pirate, hence they'll have blood stains, holes and a grey color from the ongoing contact with firing canons and gun powder. :wink: I first applied the proudmoore texture to them, but then they looked to orderly and clean for a pirate.

the pants look way better with the whole pirate idea ;D awesome!
thx dude ^^:grin:

Level 3
Thats pretty useful Model for Pirate Kind maps.
Tough he looks a way too much like the original One-headed ogres. He needs some improvements, and details, such as like was mentioned Wooden Leg and more improvements on his Clothes, he could also use something on his chest like a rasg or something and his swords could be better worked. His Hat looks a little small for him but fits fine...

You could also make a pair of boots for him to look more pirate because they normally use boots, Or also u can make another version of the model with a Headband instead of a Captain's hat, and if you do so, do with a diferent head because the other one is more Kinda Stupid and that one is more kinda smarter (as the original ogres in WC3 have One stupid Head and a little Smarter Head than the other one).

TESTING IN PROGRESS

EDIT:

TESTED

Needs improvements as like suggested before.

And found a Bug. When the Ogre is standing stil he got a gun on his Waist, but it disappears when moving or Attacking.
The Sword is perfect for the model, and dont require any improvements unless you want to.

Idea for Model: :thumbs_up: +1
Appearance: :thumbs_up: +1
Details: :fp:IMPROVEMENTS SUGGESTED +0.50
Animations: :thumbs_up: +1
They work pretty well.
Textures: :fp: Good but could use some Improvements +1
Bug Found: :thumbs_down: Repair it if possible :thumbs_down:-1

Final Pontuation: 4.50 Pontuation - Rank: Great

This Model is very useful for many maps, maybe even my maps. So: +1 REP

Your Model has been well worked but certainly need some improvements. Hope you can get this model much better :thumbs_up:

Keep up with the good work. :goblin_yeah:

Last edited:
You could also make a pair of boots for him to look more pirate because they normally use boots, Or also u can make another version of the model with a Headband instead of a Captain's hat
hehe, just add him boots and replace the hat with a headband, add a modern automatic rifle, change the attack anims and we have an Ogre-Guerilla fighter :wink: you gave me a nice idea, i should keep that in my head, maybe i do it one day :wink: Thanks for the idea again :wink: will give you credits if i do so

Level 3
hehe, just add him boots and replace the hat with a headband, add a modern automatic rifle, change the attack anims and we have an Ogre-Guerilla fighter :wink: you gave me a nice idea, i should keep that in my head, maybe i do it one day :wink: Thanks for the idea again :wink: will give you credits if i do so

well just happy for being of help :xxd:

just fix this bug on his rifle because its not really nice :thumbs_down:

well just happy for being of help :xxd:

just fix this bug on his rifle because its not really nice :thumbs_down:

you mean the gunshot animation? Yeah, I'm still trying to fix that.....trust me, it's not that easy. But I'll continue trying, it's better to invest more time for perfection, rather uploading a mass of medium quality stuff. :wink:

Much better; you've made enough changes to possibly make this worth importing to some people.

I'm raising my 1/5 rating to a 2/5. Do not feel hurt by this; a 2/5 doesn't mean the model is very bad; it just means that it's not quite good yet either.

What else could you do? Well, there's not much to do. Possibly you could work on actually increasing the quality of your model to look better than the original ogre, maybe giving it much rougher skin. Maybe add some sort of cloth or chain going over one shoulder?

Much better; you've made enough changes to possibly make this worth importing to some people.

I'm raising my 1/5 rating to a 2/5. Do not feel hurt by this; a 2/5 doesn't mean the model is very bad; it just means that it's not quite good yet either.

What else could you do? Well, there's not much to do. Possibly you could work on actually increasing the quality of your model to look better than the original ogre, maybe giving it much rougher skin. Maybe add some sort of cloth or chain going over one shoulder?

I'll first try to fix the gunshot anim, once and for all now. After this is fixed, i'll try other things as well. :wink:

Level 17
This model has two signigicant flaws:
1. The animation names render them unusable ingame ("Spell_Punch" and "Spell_Shoot" cannot be set as the animation that will later be played upon spell-casting).
2. The portrait camera doesn't work properly and drifts away.

It's sad the the moderators of the past couldn't point Uncle Fester to these mishaps, and that the model stands as 'approved and recommended'. But now that Uncle Fester is inactive for many years, I wonder if there is any way to update this model? I feel like Hive needs a mechanism for handling such cases. Perhaps our great moderators can step in? :)

On a lesser note, I personally need this model to perform for my Warhammer mod. Could someone fix the portrait? I know how to rename animations, so that bit I can do myself. Em and Vinz have helped me in the past, although I feel bad for calling out on them in such a fashion:ogre_kawaii: