• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ogre cannoner and ogre pirate v1.0

Siege unit for the ogre race. Uses no custom textures.

"Ogres are known plunderers, so it's no wonder that when they came to the world of Azeroth, it was a matter of time before some would snatch the ravaged remains of dwarven siege engines. Oblivious to many forms of magic, a few brighter one-headed ogres seized the opportunity of using gunpowder to wreak havoc at a distance."

Uses the mortar team weapon animation. Has a working portrait and a stand-ready and attack animations. (The model is not as clunky as the gif, obviously. Use model viewer instead).

Added a pirate version.

Edit: Optimized the models and reduced filesize.
Previews
Contents

cannoner icons (Icon)

Ogre cannoner portrait v1 (Model)

Ogre cannoner v1 (Model)

Ogre pirate icon (Icon)

Ogre pirate portrait v1 (Model)

Ogre pirate v1 (Model)

Reviews
loktar
Original and useful model, approved. One small thing you might want to fix, although it doesn't cause problems ingame: the cannoner portrait has a texture path with forward slashes ("/"), but it should have backward slashes ("\").

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
While "tech-wielding Ogres" is always gonna be a stretch for me personally, I appreciate that you reasonably justified it, and as always I'm heckin' glad to see more SD resources. Looks great!

(also absolutely uncanny timing; I was just discussing a custom Ogre faction on the Factioneers Discord :O)

Leadbelchers were actually my inspiration for this model :ogre_hurrhurr:

I guess I could make another version that is more pirate-y, with a red bandana and a ship cannon. It would fit a redsail buccaneer theme (or any other wow pirate band) while still being usable as an ogre model.

Last edited:
Level 15

I guess I could make another version that is more pirate-y, with a red bandana and a ship cannon. It would fit a redsail buccaneer theme (or any other wow pirate band) while still being usable as an ogre model.

I actually wanted to comment the exact same thing. While this model is good, I think Leadbelcher-style would be 10x more fitting for Warcraft 3 universe.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Ogryn I'm ignoring because WH40K. ; )

Leadbelchers... Ok that's interesting. In fact I didn't even really know that WH had Ogres... But it appears that while there's definitely some things in common, Warcraft Ogres are not nearly as well-fleshed out or advanced as WH Ogres.

That sounds pretty sick, man. I think that'd be pretty awexome.

Level 35
Yeah, I solved the issue. Since I'm a reforged modeller, I had set mipmap count to 10 instead of 1 in blplab. My bad, the unit is already fixed.

Ahh, no wonder :p
With the small amount of experience I have with Reforged assets, they sure do tend to be horrendously inefficient when it comes to filesize :p

Also, I'm always loving more Pirate and more Ogre content, so you're my favorite deputy right now <3

Each model has 4 models inside, portaits have skeletons and guts and everything else from the original model (despite being separate assets and most things not showing at all) and textures have 4 different layers, each layer having 10 mipmaps (smaller versions of each texture).

Then people wonder why is their game not running smoothly.

Thanks for the update, but you forgot to fix the cannoner portrait :)
Oh, I thought it was only an issue with the pirate. My bad.

BTW, the models have a lot of unused animation tracks, you could probably reduce the filesize significantly by removing them.
You mean keyframes without animations? The model is 10 years old, so I may have forgot to optimize it then. Ty for the heads up, I'll update both models rn.

Hmm, there is a weird bug with the pirate:
ogre pirate.jpg

Not sure what could cause it. Only things I can think of to try is recalculating extents, or maybe try removing geoset animation info from bones.
I noticed there is a bone_null which I've seen appear in the past due to some bug corrupting the model, but I don't remember which editor caused it or what exactly happened. That may have something to do with it.

edit: I see the model bounds radius is -99, maybe that has something to do with it?

Hmm, there is a weird bug with the pirate:
View attachment 369887

Not sure what could cause it. Only things I can think of to try is recalculating extents, or maybe try removing geoset animation info from bones.
I noticed there is a bone_null which I've seen appear in the past due to some bug corrupting the model, but I don't remember which editor caused it or what exactly happened. That may have something to do with it.

edit: I see the model bounds radius is -99, maybe that has something to do with it?

When you set the main texture filter to none (so, like every other ogre) the model works fine. It's when setting its texture to blend and adding a replaceable texture 1 (so, the usual when adding TC) when the model does that. I don't know much about TC in classic, so I guess there's a reason why the model doesn't work. I did manage to get it to work when uploading, though, so I'm quite lost :peasant-thinking:

Hmm, very weird. Yeah model editors and hive viewer display it correctly, it's only in the editor that it bugs out (didn't test ingame). Maybe the texture's alpha channel is messed up somehow?
It did work before, though (I'm just stupid because I overwrote the original save file :goblin_cry:) so I'm not really sure where the problem lies. When I do a sanity check of the texture, it says that it has fake mipmaps -but it shouldn't have mipmaps as it's a .blp file, and the .tga file had no mipmaps either.

I converted the texture to .tga, opened it in GIMP and exported it, then saved it again as BLP with BLP lab, and now it seems to work fine.
It's much larger now though, because I saved it with 10 mipmaps and it has no fake ones. The original ogre textures all have 10 mipmaps too.

Not sure if exporting with GIMP actually did anything, maybe it was just converting it with BLP lab that did the trick.

Attachments

• Ogrepirate.blp
    146.5 KB · Views: 41
I converted the texture to .tga, opened it in GIMP and exported it, then saved it again as BLP with BLP lab, and now it seems to work fine. It's much larger now though, because I saved it with 10 mipmaps and it has no fake ones.
Not sure if exporting with GIMP actually did anything, maybe it was just converting it with BLP lab that did the trick.

Well, at least it works, I guess. Ty for the help!

Ok, last small things before I can approve:
-part of the cannon is still visible in decay bone, make sure it's hidden
-the attack sound is actually playing in the decay bone animation, change the event track so it plays in the attack animation
-the current attack sound is CannonTowerMissileLaunch, change it to "MCAN - CannonTowerMissile" to play the correct one

Original and useful model, approved.

One small thing you might want to fix, although it doesn't cause problems ingame: the cannoner portrait has a texture path with forward slashes ("/"), but it should have backward slashes ("\").
Damnit, I've made the same mistake again. It does cause bugs with versions before 1.27 (dunno the exact patch that solved that issue). Since reforged models always use forward slashes, I've made the same mistake twice.

Edit: Reuploaded

Last edited: