• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Official HiveWorkshop Map(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
On bnet I'm finding no one knows about the hive. I'm also Finding a lot of Maps I don't want to play.

This Site is About Wc3 mapmaking.
We may have a bunch of Noobs here, But I think Everyone can offer something to the map

1) This Map can be as creative as the site comes up with
2) THis Map can use whatever Models that are in Demand (Some people may want Naruto, Others Might want Gen Franks Models, I personally Prefer the creepy looking skins.... <.<)
3) It can be a continued Site Project that will not only bring in new users but also be on the cutting edge of fun and displaying the good uses of team work and what even Noobs have to offer.

Personally, With this much Talent and organization (<.<) I'm suprised it hasn't happened yet.

I'm aware of Reinventing the craft, But I get the impression thats only for Uber 1337 haxorz map makers. And I'd like to have something that everyone is promoted to help out on.

So yeah...
Questions, compliments, "THIS IS AWESOME" is acceptable

Sorry... This is no place to put critiques <.< JK.... But srsly.... Don't break my heart....
>.> If you say It would never work...... <.<
I might cry..... >.>
T_____________T
<.<

Level 12
Well, before, Warhammer 40K TD was widely hosted, and every game had the URL to the Hive in several places on the terrain as well as in the loading screen/credits/tips, etc.

That was before,
But now theres jack : /

I mean... This site could bring the best map on Bnet...
Maybe...

Plus it would give people something to do besides spam poorly made maps : /

Level 34
There is advertising. TKoK is making a comeback of sorts, and has a Hive url on the loading page. Others do too I believe.

And it's been tried. Prodigy Productions was one attempt, and it failed horribly. This isn't a new idea, and it's never worked.

Level 12
There is advertising. TKoK is making a comeback of sorts, and has a Hive url on the loading page. Others do too I believe.

And it's been tried. Prodigy Productions was one attempt, and it failed horribly. This isn't a new idea, and it's never worked.

Thats a Damn Shame : /

Level 14
Productivity = n^(-k), where k is a real between 1 and 2. Normally, it's around about 2; if you're lucky, you might get it down to 1.4 or something.

Basically, the more people, the less likely it is to finish. If you have 20 people, it's pretty much certain to fail. And you seem to be asking for way more than that...right...

Level 12
Productivity = n^(-k), where k is a real between 1 and 2. Normally, it's around about 2; if you're lucky, you might get it down to 1.4 or something.

Basically, the more people, the less likely it is to finish. If you have 20 people, it's pretty much certain to fail. And you seem to be asking for way more than that...right...

WAAAAAY More...
Like... WHo ever Wants to get involved...
And theres how many users on the Hive?
<.<

Then start crying. =P

THis is My Sad Face.....
See it?
T____________________________T

Level 21
And people must have undoubtedly learned from this. The reasons it failed were:
Point 1: The first (and only) project was a huge campaign; if you're not used to the workflow it's a bad idea to start on something as large as a campaign. Not to mention that IMO our campaign had epic proportions.
Point 2: People who joined were qualified because of their talents, not their interests. We had the best terrainers (madsen among us), the best jassers, the best modelers, ... but we weren't qualified on our interests. Everyone wanted - some way or another - to do something different. I'm not talking about details, I'm talking about the core idea of the map.
Point 3: Too much talking (mainly on my 2nd point: "what are we going to do"), no acting.

This can be fixed by not making a team of limited size(PP was about 20 people, enough one should say but not if nobody wants to make the same map), but unlimited size, where the project leader comes up with an idea and recruits people directly from the hive. The motivation will at least slightly be increased because of people who want to make the map, not people who want to be in a pro team.

Indeed. In fact, you can never really depend on your team. For those 2 reasons, I think that if you want a "community based" project as Formula1 is suggesting to succeed, you must do following things:

Have a limited creative team who brainstorm ideas, until you come to an agreement of a good and perhaps revolutionary map. Have an idea before you mention it. If you do, start planning the map into the details: terrain layout, units, techtrees, triggers, systems, everything (Avoids point 3). If you can't come so far because of demotivation, you shouldn't be project leader :p (Avoids point 1)
Finally, you make your idea public and make a list of things to be done (based on the plan you previously made). Rather than looking for someone "who can jass", post a list of all systems and spells that have to be done, and allow everyone to contribute to one of those points (Avoids point 2). If multiple contributions on one point are submitted, simply choose the best one. At least now you will NOT be depending on your teammates, but you'll be depending on the whole hive modding community. Give proper credits to them and the hive, and who knows if the project might actually succeed. If it succeeds, you can repeat the process and make a series of completely different but good maps.

That's my opinion ofcourse.

Level 7
Really, if we wanted to make a Hive map that everyone on Bnet plays, then it would have to be simple. The average player doesn't want to go on and play a load/save rpg, or a co-op campaign. IF there was a map, it should be a very good arena, or something like a hero defense that almost everyone is attracted to. I wouldn't do an AOS because even the players on Bnet are now skeptical of new non-DotA AOS.

Level 21
Please... It's not at all smart to say "it should be an arena".
First of all, this idea is really unoriginal and has been done so many times that IMO there's no need for a whole modding community to participate in this.
Secondly, there's no way that "the average player likes arena's". The average player on Bnet plays DotA. Everyone else has different tastes and I myself would play anything but an arena or TD. I'm pretty sure that outside of AoS, interests are fairly equally distributed. Also, it's a bad idea to make a map that is popular to all Bnet players. It will fail.

AoS is not a good idea. We have DotA, and whether you like DotA or not for any reason, the map itself is good as it is and will probably always be "the" AoS played on Bnet.

Level 12
And people must have undoubtedly learned from this. The reasons it failed were:
Point 1: The first (and only) project was a huge campaign; if you're not used to the workflow it's a bad idea to start on something as large as a campaign. Not to mention that IMO our campaign had epic proportions.
Point 2: People who joined were qualified because of their talents, not their interests. We had the best terrainers (madsen among us), the best jassers, the best modelers, ... but we weren't qualified on our interests. Everyone wanted - some way or another - to do something different. I'm not talking about details, I'm talking about the core idea of the map.
Point 3: Too much talking (mainly on my 2nd point: "what are we going to do"), no acting.

That Sounds about right.
It seems that Moderators Would not agree to it though.
Making it no longer able to be, Official.

-To Everyone Else-
If We Were Able to come up with a very Unique/fun/etc Idea.
Would you all be willing to pulicize it as an official Map?

From there, It Would Just be the "To Do" list like Leandor Suggested. Where people can add to the project as they need to instead of having a group of people that HAVE to work on it.

I think Simply the Hive Publicizing it and calling it "Official" Would bring a Lot of people looking to help out.

Level 12
Really, if we wanted to make a Hive map that everyone on Bnet plays, then it would have to be simple. The average player doesn't want to go on and play a load/save rpg, or a co-op campaign. IF there was a map, it should be a very good arena, or something like a hero defense that almost everyone is attracted to. I wouldn't do an AOS because even the players on Bnet are now skeptical of new non-DotA AOS.

That seems like it could be true....
But then again...
People Might Want that New AoS
Look at all these Arenas Coming out....
THey Still Can't beat Custom Hero or Angel Arena

I'm thinking SOmething More Like Spellcraft.
-5 or more different Modes-
--Arena-ORPG with Arena Aspects. Instead of only one Duel. Everyone Could Have a duel, or it would be a team battle, or A Gladiator Match against a boss. Keep it interesting.
--AoS-Just to bring in the Dota Crowd
--Footmen Frenzy-Pretty Straight Forward
--Melee-Create a Mini Melee Map
--School-Something I've wanted for a while, To Teach Kids How to work with units better. Focus Firing, Traps, Micromanaging Individual Units based on their health and position, Scaling Size and what it does in a fight, Vampiric/Splash/Movement Speeds.

Probably every mode Would use the Same Map, But CHange up the Trees depending on the mode

And A System that Hive Creates that makes sure Balance is the word
-And when I say Balance, I mean NO STUNS.
--And Possibly no Silence/Slow

While Making Sure Everyone Can Adapt to each Situation
-And each Time you Die, A suggestion pops up on the screen like "You should Buy more Str Tomes" Or Something

I like the way your thinking though....
You got to attract your audience

I have plenty of idea's, and I'm sure others have too. Like I said it would be smarter to make a thread (or use this one) as a brainstorming thread and select 1 of the core idea's as your current focus and develop it further.

Sounds Good,
Speak your mind.

Level 34
Eleandor, that's the only way I see a Hive map working too. Although I have to say the leader and overall maker of the map would need to be someone very skilled in map making.

Level 12
Eleandor, that's the only way I see a Hive map working too. Although I have to say the leader and overall maker of the map would need to be someone very skilled in map making.

I would say the leader needs to be able to deal with people well,
Like Brad.

THe people coming up with the ideas need to know map making well.

If your leader is too controlling, its no longer a group map.
If the leader does not know how to keep order. THe Map may not work out due to flaming and such.

The leader needs to make sure everything goes smoothly, not in charge of the creative process

Status
Not open for further replies.