• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hiveworkshop / wc3sear.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
im really dissapointed in the organization and navigation of this site...wc3sear had many more models,skins, and maps to choose from and had a more diverse and active site. It was a sad day when wc3sear went offline....and the people of hiveworkshop could not even try to import ALL of the files from wc3sear, which is utter fail on their part

So because we do not have as many resources we fail? Also Wc3sear.ch was slow and the site was just one big spampile the last half year of its existance. Not much activity occured either.

The site never got updated, never would get updated and would have been gone no matter if it had merged with Hive or not, so what do you have to complain about? If you do not like it here then don't use the website.

Level 1
so what if it was a huge spampile...at least it had more than 5 pages of models...and yes it is utter fail, becuase if you cannot provide for people what they want they should be able to have an alternative, but since wc3sear was dcimated, im stuck with hiveworkshop which does not give me many options

Level 34
go to another site or make your own resources.

Aye to that! Complaining won't bring the models back. I think you just want to

A) Be annoying

B) Get more post counts

C) Complain about something

Find something constructive with your time.

Level 1
the intelligence in this forum is amazing... first of all this is a complaint(obviously, cant take that many brain cells to figure it out) and it is relative to whether you think it is annoying or not, secondly im trying to find something to do constructive with my time which is amazing since it corresponds to a map in warcraft! (amazing how these things relate!), therefore if i cant finish this map by the hindrance of a mediocre and superficial site, thus i would naturally become very much irritated

Level 8
I dunno... I see 44 pages of models too. To prove it, take a good look at my attachment.

Be careful when you call people stupid: they might prove smarter than you think.

Attachments

• 44pages.jpg
    44pages.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 165
Level 9
I agree with Nuke770 but not on the failure of this site. WC3sear.ch was indeed extremely slow but when i clicked on JASS i had numerous pages to search for triggers, not just 7 limited options.

.. And i need JASS for my ROC having limited GUI scripts for WE

Are all those resources really gone?
What exactly was the merge? A web-template?! I'm not trying to be cynical but if i owned this site i would have extracted all the resources, even if i had to do it by hand. Or just use a file-grabber.

Level 8
I'm not trying to be cynical but if i owned this site i would have extracted all the resources, even if i had to do it by hand. Or just use a file-grabber.
I'm not trying to be overly defensive, but I'm not quite sure that the amount of resources wc3sear had was sustainable. After all, they did go down, right? Poor Ralle, his server's slow enough, without the 168 GBs or w/e it was that lead to the collapse of the sear.ch.

Level 1
attacking my sentence structure is categorized as ad hominum, so in short you fail...(just in case you don't understand what ad hominum means, its basically when you attack the orator not the argument)

Level 1
thats exactly what ive been trying to say, the old models were much more diverse and the old site offered more options than 44 pages (which i apologize for because i was merely looking at units(5 pages) not models overall)

Level 27
You realize that while wc3sear.ch (not .com, maybe YOU should get some gray matter) had many more resources because they did not moderate them to a very good extent. Half of the models were buggy, and currently, our model moderators are working hard on getting the ones worthy of approval approved, and the bugged ones out. You are essentially pissing on their hard work, the work of anyone here, and saying that quantity > quality.
I deem this thread:
fail.
--donut.5--

Level 8
Still though, think of the poor server. My harddrive is only 8 gig, bugger that. You've got to remember that Ralle's server might not be able to hold as much as Darky's.

EDIT: Donut, get on AIM.

Level 20
No idea, but it's invalid to double-post. There's something called the edit button, if you didn't see that part too.

If you really aren't happy with this site, then just find another site. As far as I know, Wc3Search was full of spam, low quality resources and low quality people. If you aren't happy with what you have here, just go to www.wc3campaigns.net, or some other random Wc3 modding site. I'm not complaining, no one else here is complaining. Makes me think that you're the only one with some kind of a problem.

the intelligence in this forum is amazing...
I know that was sarcasm, but let's say it's not.
Thank you! =D

Level 1
well it is all in my opinion and i do like quantity over quality because all of the models here are still pretty bad quality and it seems like raginghorn has given up

Level 9
Maybe there was 168GB of files, maybe half were buggy or of poor quality.. Maybe, but i have a question, because of any one of those facts were they all simply deleted? I mean, they should have been backed-up SOMEWHERE! And at least people given the chance to mod them to MAKE them worthy!

I'm trying not to attack this site. At least it's here whereas .ch is not. But if all those resources are gone to the memory of time then that's just sad.

Darky? was the owner of wc3sear.ch? Perhaps he has a backup? It's worth asking.

EDIT: You don't have to dislike this site in order to dislike how the transfer went.

Not to mention it's admitted by long-time users here that this site is for newbies, why would the tools and models and spells have to be of the utmost superior quality when it's acknowledged that that's what wc3campagins.net is good for?

EDIT: Not to say a site shouldn't have it's good qualities to show some worthiness.

Level 8
This is gonna become a flaming and pissing contest really quickly. Be sure to keep the heat down, or we'll find this thread locked. (As some would say, FACISM!)

Level 1
just read the post before yours and still my argument holds of how these "quality" pages of yours arent that fantastic either

I have not "given up", but arguing with people like you, Nuke770, is a waste of time.

Cheeder, Darky abandoned Wc3sear.ch and I am almost certain that he has no recent backup of any of its content. The one who did most of the administration was VGSatomi and as far as I know he and the site overall, lost a lot of the resources, good as bad, that has nothing to do with Hive. Wc3sear.ch before it broke down had a ton of broken links. Yes, Hive also didn't import everything, I can't explain anything further about that, BUT we might get a big chunk of the old map archive back, might.

Level 1
all depends on perspective (arguing with you is a waste of time for me)...but i interpret silence as defeat again for donut3.5...there is no definite proof that all these models from wc3sear are under 5...and even then a mans garbage is another'streasure

Level 8
Silence? This has to be the fastest flowing thread I've ever seen. We mind as well be in the chatroom for god's sakes. And if something's a waste of time, the don't do it. Worked for me!

Level 27
all depends on perspective (arguing with you is a waste of time for me)...but i interpret silence as defeat again for donut3.5...there is no definite proof that all these models from wc3sear are under 5...and even then a mans garbage is another'streasure
I actually looked at all of them. And I never said all of wc3s's models were crap, I told you that the resources you are calling crap (yes, you did, you even told me to read that post again) that are on the Hive, most of the low rated ones were here before the move.
Then you say one man's trash is another man's treasure AFTER you told us all that Hive has crap resources.
Not to mention, what good is trash when it is horribly bugged and unusable?
Or how is there justification in stolen resources?
Neither of those you can defend with logic. The quality thing, maybe, but not resources that are unusable or stolen stuff.
--donut3.5--

Level 1
donut i was applying the ones man treasure quote to the offense you made towards the low ratings on the wc3sear.com models or files

Level 9
I have not "given up", but arguing with people like you, Nuke770, is a waste of time.

Cheeder, Darky abandoned Wc3sear.ch and I am almost certain that he has no recent backup of any of its content. The one who did most of the administration was VGSatomi and as far as I know he and the site overall, lost a lot of the resources, good as bad, that has nothing to do with Hive. Wc3sear.ch before it broke down had a ton of broken links. Yes, Hive also didn't import everything, I can't explain anything further about that, BUT we might get a big chunk of the old map archive back, might.

I guess that's cool. By map archive you mean finished maps? Epicwar.com hosts just maps, though i wish they had more search options. I'm not like Nuke770 in that i care about models, the only thing that ever bugs me is the lack of triggers, GUI and JASS tutorials. Triggers are what MAKE a game! I wouldn't make a thread about it but the frustration, any frustration, should be understandable by anyone who has ever been to wc3sear.ch. The best thing to say in response to a thread like this, i think, would just be,
"Well, we're sorry but we can't do anything about it."
No one is going to bash on someone who has no control over the past, which is why i said that frustration should be understandable.

EDIT: One man's garbage is indeed another man's treasure.
:D

Level 9
What constitutes "stolen resources"? I mean, if i created my own WC3 modding website and took from all WC3 modding websites but acknowledged who the creator was, that is just as fair as them being free for download as they are on this site.. Am i wrong? You don't have to sign-up here to dl them.

Just wondering about that term.

Maybe there was 168GB of files, maybe half were buggy or of poor quality.. Maybe, but i have a question, because of any one of those facts were they all simply deleted? I mean, they should have been backed-up SOMEWHERE! And at least people given the chance to mod them to MAKE them worthy!

-_-

(Note, I am truly sorry if I am mean in a way)

Who in the right mind would back up 168 GB? That equals 336 or something GB! I'm not sure if some of you guys understand about websites. Here is a nice way to explain it:
- Bandwidth = Depends on Page Views
-- Most paid services give you about 500-1000 (Rarely) GB of monthly transfer. This area has tons of members and page views. This = money burn.
- Free Disk Space = A paid site, would probably allow, prolly 300 GB of free disk space. More would equal more cash to spend. This counts all attached images, attached files, and all the resources. That's like all of the GB right there!

The only thing to counter these to get money a bit is donations, and ads.

Darky left wc3sear.ch. He didn't come back. Wc3sear.ch fell into a downfall where it juts couldn't handle everything. They needed Darky's assistance, but he wouldn't come back. Wc3search's server crashed. Much of the data of search was corrupted or became bugged. It would take ages to clean it out. Now it is just a living memory.

This site, just to pay for monthly fees, probably burns up to 20 bucks or even more each month.

Some of my data might be inaccurate, I'm no true webmaster.

There were many complications in wc3sear.ch, and everything was hectic and chaos.

I'm trying not to attack this site. At least it's here whereas .ch is not. But if all those resources are gone to the memory of time then that's just sad.

Darky? was the owner of wc3sear.ch? Perhaps he has a backup? It's worth asking.

Not to mention it's admitted by long-time users here that this site is for newbies, why would the tools and models and spells have to be of the utmost superior quality when it's acknowledged that that's what wc3campagins.net is good for?

Darky left, didn't come back, and probably won't come back.

There aren't all noobs in this site, many sign up and just donwload models etc. Or they come for some help. Wc3campaigns is extremely strict and it doesn't have as friendly users. If you are a noob who messes around or something, they will probably ban you...

Wc3sear.ch's resources are great, but just be wary of what they might do to your map. I don't even know if you can access the site any more...

Level 1
okay im back and if i will say is that your globally ranged argument is untenable because you were the one that was saying that most wc3sear models are rated very low

Level 1
ok lets try to reinstate what i was trying to say from the beginning:

Hiveworkshop does not have the amount of models(including quality) that will satisfy most people, especially me. Also wc3sear.ch had much more models, skins, and icons (for instance if i wanted a scientist model or skin, i bet 100euros that there would be one, but oh no not at hive, cuz we have to have the very selective cream of the crop models(which suck anyways))

Level 9
Sorry for the double post earlier.

Storage is cheap. Maybe not in a server but of personal use it's cheap.

As for web-hosting sites, i found 110mb.com to be the best. All the servers are owned by some rich people who just want to give back in this way. No ads on your site and tons of free storage, plus some useful tools implemented.

Check it out
http://www.110mb.com/plans.php
You can't find anything better on the net, not for free.

Level 25
ok lets try to reinstate what i was trying to say from the beginning:

Hiveworkshop does not have the amount of models(including quality) that will satisfy most people, especially me. Also wc3sear.ch had much more models, skins, and icons (for instance if i wanted a scientist model or skin, i bet 100euros that there would be one, but oh no not at hive, cuz we have to have the very selective cream of the crop models(which suck anyways))

And most of them were crappy models that I wasn't deleting because if I went on a horrific purge like I intended to then you people would whine

Quality > Quantity kiddo

Compare what the Hive has to Warcraft 3 campaigns. They have less models than us, and a stricter high-quality system

You just want thousands of nigh useless models, like those useless "Lololol footman with more different weaponz" that flooded the damn site

Level 7
wc3sear was crammed packed full of tons of stuff, too much to be handled by the server and it was beyond max capacity. mainly because Darky neglected it to play world of warcraft, and with out proper maintenance it was a ticking time bomb. i miss wc3sear but it was super slow, broken downloads and not a good community. Hiveworkshop is a great community that is noob friendly, they may be a little harsh with peoples work but its how you learn. as for the selection of models and other stuff, its up to us as a community to make it bigger. its pretty big right now and its constantly growing.

Level 34
Mecheon is right. Besides, do models make games? I think not.

Go learn to model yourself. Stop whining that there aren't enough of other peoples hard work to satisfy you. Besides crappy models just look... crappy, why would you want them?

For the record, this site is not harsh on submitted work. wc3campaigns is much much harsher.

Level 1
the problem is , is that i am a terrainer, not a modeler i wouldn't be complaining if i was one... i would just do it by myself...plz use that space between you ears gilles

Sorry for the double post earlier.

Storage is cheap. Maybe not in a server but of personal use it's cheap.

As for web-hosting sites, i found 110mb.com to be the best. All the servers are owned by some rich people who just want to give back in this way. No ads on your site and tons of free storage, plus some useful tools implemented.

Check it out
http://www.110mb.com/plans.php
You can't find anything better on the net, not for free.

Well, technically, this is off-topic, but uhm, why would you get 110mb? That is good for free-webhosting, but stuff like go-daddy is better. 5 gb of storage place is not near 168 gb. :razz:

QFT

What do you expect to gain from this? There is no way to get the other models back, people have explained this to you. This should just be closed and recycled.

Then after it is recycled, it should be turned into a soda can. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.