• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hiveworkshop Video Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Hey Guys!

Well, I was thinking a few days back about some ways the Hive Workshop might be slightly more efficient (.01% would even do some good) and just some overall things to make it better. Unlike some people who want to replace the moderators, or make them “better”, I want to focus instead on first helping to organize the steady populace that enters the forum. The Hive has a strong set of rules and a good amount of penalties backing them up. However, some people, especially those who may not speak as well with English as is adequate, do not have a strong desire, or capabilities, to sort through loads of paragraphs to learn the mechanics of the Hive. Something as simple as searching the model section might be difficult (a stretch, some say, but it happens quiet a bit).Then I thought “Maybe another approach is necessary for teaching newcomers.” Thus this video and the ideas of future videos were forged.

Hiveworkshop Video Guide

These videos are here to teach those who learn better from seeing something demonstrated. This particular video is a prototype (note, prototype, meaning music may be added later, and the video may be tuned up) of an overall basic introduction video for when you first come to the Hive. It just explains a little bit about what the Hive is about, what the Hive has to offer, and some preparation. Here’s the prototype:

Future videos may include such things on how to search the resources, how maps and other resources are graded, making a high-quality request and so on…

However, before I go any further, I need some feedback. Is this idea fruitless? Worthless? Or, does this idea have some promise? Or, did I not see something, and this idea is already in the making by another faction.

Any feedback good or bad is welcome.

~Asomath

Level 14
Well, I said I wanted feedback, whether it is good or bad, so imma respond to yall.

It's just a forum. You don't need an intro video. -.-

Yeah, I can see your point. However on the front page, we do, in fact, have an intro paragraph. This is where I took part of my script from. In this day and age, people are more likely or prefer to watch a video than read a wall of text, unless they happen upon the text first. So, why not replace the introduction paragraph with an introduction video?

Also, there are some confused people walking about the Hive. They may not know what to read or where to go. However, there is usually one place that attracts newcomers: the request section. Resulting from that, a horde of bad requests come in each day, requests that moderators have to sort through. Perhaps a little more organization in the form of a video would help ease their strained workload?

love the vid.

Thanks.

Yes, it absolutely is. The people in charge should be flattered that you took the time to make a video, but the reality is that it's a waste of your time.

Thanks for responding! However, unlike WILL, you failed to state the reason why, and as such, I cannot add a proper rebuttal. Still, thanks for taking the time to respond.

Still looking for more than 3 responses however. So if you just happened to stumble unto this thread, write a few words down.

~Asomath

Level 11
Thanks for responding! However, unlike WILL, you failed to state the reason why, and as such, I cannot add a proper rebuttal. Still, thanks for taking the time to respond.

Fair enough. I guess my main reason would be that forums are something intuitive enough that they shouldn't require a video. Add to that the fact that all forums (with very few exceptions) share the same basic set of rules. What it boils down to then, is that this is a video that is providing information that can be gleaned by common sense and looking around.

Level 14
... you actually paid someone to voice that?

Oh no, you guys misunderstand. I wouldn’t actually pay someone to do voices for a website that would either A. Not be using it or B. Earns me no income. You see I run a small little local video business, kind of a test business so to speak. From it, I've met lots of people, helped people out, and left an impression of "Kindness." So yeah, getting some favors done for me is no problem.

Anyway, I was just thinking of ways to help the Hive, was getting a little rusty over the summer, so I conjured this up. I mean having something available to us that others of our type do not have gives a slightly unique quality. Also, being shown how to get to something is slightly easier than trying to find it yourself. This was simply an introduction video to replace that paragraph on the front page, meant to explain what this site was if they happened to stumble upon it with no background knowledge whatsoever. Future videos would explain much more specifics, site behavior (Like Hakeem suggested), requesting (Screenshots, bumping), uploading a resource (what tags mean and such), just thinks to make the site LOOK better.

Although, I am flattered that you guys would think I was a rich guy nice enough to spare a nice sum of money to the site. XD

~Asomath

Level 14
Asomath, the video is very well made, but there's just so little use for it... And I'm glad that you didn't actually pay for this, lol. :p

Thanks Hindy! Remember in my main post, how I said that I want to improve, and that even .01% is a good increase? It may seem useless in of itself, but I stand by my opinion that replaced with the paragraph on the front, it does a more thorough, efficient, and better job. Being welcomed by a person’s voice is better than text.

~Asomath

Level 8
I think something like this could be useful, but mainly to people who are too lazy to/cannot read a big block of text. For people who are not good with English, a voiceover might actually be harder to understand than a bunch of text (since you can take as long as you need to read something, but you can't slow down a video). However, this video makes up for that by showing you where stuff is. I guess I have a mixed reaction, though the video is very well made. I'll let you know if I have other ideas.

Level 12
Hmmm....
A very nice video.
Might save someone a few hours of time trying to find out what to do.
You should maybe add like a step by step on how to register, or how to reply in forums, but this is only a prototype.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
It's cute :cute: And I like the fact that a Hive user actually took the time to create this, without obligation.

Although, if you would wish to actually make a real introduction to the HiveWorkshop you should probably have talked to some of the "old" staff members first. Such as me or Ralle or perhaps even Bob27. We could have told you about some other cool stuff that most users dont know about.

The site wasn't made by a guy named Ralle, it was established by a guy named Rasmus Abrahamsen also known as Ralle.

It was originally setup as a fansite for the Warcraft map, Warhammer 40K TD during it's original lineup, which was made by Ralle and Bloodletter.
Moose is just a nickname. I dont think Ralle actually goes by that name anywhere..

Might wanna check up with Ralle. I could be wrong, though.

Level 8
Well I doubt this will hurt any newcomer and thus wonder about the rather negative feedback.
In my opinion this is great. This is a fair introduction into THW with a nice clear voice.

What I would really like to see would be some Tutorial Videos just like this about the frequent asked questions ;P
For example a short video about how to download a model from THW and afterwards implant it correctly to the WE.
Or the most important functions of WE.

You know, just some videos of exactly this style that complement the written tutorials.
Nevertheless such things take much more effort of course :/

Level 14
Well I doubt this will hurt any newcomer and thus wonder about the rather negative feedback.
In my opinion this is great. This is a fair introduction into THW with a nice clear voice.

What I would really like to see would be some Tutorial Videos just like this about the frequent asked questions ;P
For example a short video about how to download a model from THW and afterwards implant it correctly to the WE.
Or the most important functions of WE.

You know, just some videos of exactly this style that complement the written tutorials.
Nevertheless such things take much more effort of course :/

Well, I believe that A video counterpart for written tutorials would be solely placed on the decision of the tutorial-writer, not me.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. Imma get a polished version of this completed when Im bored this weekend, just to see how it'll come out.

~Asomath

Level 25
The site wasn't made by a guy named Ralle, it was established by a guy named Rasmus Abrahamsen also known as Ralle.

Ralle's real name is Rasmus? That's a badass name! Sounds like a comic book villain name.

Anyway, I really like the video. Although I doubt users would choose to watch this video, it may be a good idea to add an Intro link in the navigation bar at the top of this site that plays this video for newbies to learn a tad about the forum. It's professional and the voiceover is clear and great. Good job. Would give rep to you right now if I had not already done so earlier today. :grin:

Level 7
this is good, not an intro to the site but still good
its real use is for advertising on other sites
and for an intro its just too basic
maybe make vids for specific functions on hive like "resource posting"
"chat" and other stuff (there is more ideas but nothing comes to mind right now)

anyway GREAT JOB

It's just a forum. You don't need an intro video. -.-

Also, the video is awful imho.
You should demonstrate how you can submit maps, edit them, talk to others on chat and such.

Instead, you are just showing some annoying texts flying around (for the user).

Totally :thumbs_down:

Scandinavia
lol, Ralle is danish.

Level 14
Also, the video is awful imho.
You should demonstrate how you can submit maps, edit them, talk to others on chat and such.

Instead, you are just showing some annoying texts flying around (for the user).

Totally :thumbs_down:

Oh... that hurt... right in the heart...

Naw, j/k, I easily see your point. This was just a prototype video (and as such I wasn't going to do anything complex) to see what kind of responses there were to the idea of a video series that demonstrates how to do things that new users usually blunder on. This one would just be called "What is the Hive?", while others may be on more specific things that could be demonstrated, such as submitting resources. In that video, some repeated questions can be answered, like the infamous "How long does it take for a moderator to review my resource?"

Anyway, I was just looking for that type of C&C

~Asomath

Yeah, I more likely give cc as posting stuff as omg, its awesome! ...

So to even give more:
  • Start with the name + explaining what it is
  • Start showing the top bar only, and scroll through it from left to right, while saying one sentence to everything the link provides.
  • Do the same with the menu on the bottom of it.
  • Start showing a quick view of chat, forums and any resource section.
  • Explain the user why hive is a great place
    • Tell the user about the rules and acceptments, the reputation system and our admins which keep this site save and clean.

In other videos, do the following:

• Show the user how he can register (Will make him feel save and be on a good site)
  • Show the user how he can make posts
  • Show the user how hes able to chat
  • show the user how can post resources.

Level 7
yeah, i more likely give cc as posting stuff as omg, its awesome! ...

So to even give more:
  • start with the name + explaining what it is
  • start showing the top bar only, and scroll through it from left to right, while saying one sentence to everything the link provides.
  • do the same with the menu on the bottom of it.
  • start showing a quick view of chat, forums and any resource section.
  • explain the user why hive is a great place
    • tell the user about the rules and acceptments, the reputation system and our admins which keep this site save and clean.

in other videos, do the following:

• show the user how he can register (will make him feel save and be on a good site)
  • show the user how he can make posts
  • show the user how hes able to chat
  • show the user how can post resources.

right everything he sad

Status
Not open for further replies.