• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Norway - Bomb Attack and Shootings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
Hmm, almost 10 hours since it happened...

About 10 hours ago, Norway suffered from two of their greatest tragedies since World War II. One of them took place on a small island, just outside of Oslo (the main capital of Norway), were a man dressed as a policeman started shooting at the students residing there.

The other one took place in the center of Oslo, where a series of bombs were triggered (seems to be "car bombs") outside the Prime Ministers residence.

The number of casualties is still unknown, but the police estimate it to be somewhere in between 20-30 people, most of them younger than 18.

Edit - Live in Swedish TV (SVT)
"...the new death toll at Utöya is estimated to at least 80..."

BBC Report: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14254705
BBC Videos: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14258493

*Sorry if there's some grammatical failure here and etc., but it's way past midnight here and I'm kinda tired...

Last edited:
Level 22
The police believes it was only one man, and he was arrested shortly after the shooting at Utøya. He is being charged for both the bombing and the shooting and will receive the highest possible punishment one can receive in Norway, which is 21 years. There was only 1 bomb, and it is believed to have been consisting of 600kg (1 323 pounds) of ANFO.
It is unknown if this man was a part of a terrorist network or simply mad.(Look at the edit below)

Wait, Norway was involved in WW2 ? o.0
Yeah.... Norway was bombed during WW2 because Hitler went mad when we sunk his flagship Blücher. He also attempted to get Deuterium oxide from Rjukan, but that failed as well.

Norway did remain neutral during the war, but we were still involved in it.

Edit: Just got an update from the radio. I didn't hear everything, but the man behind the attack is believed to have been a Christian right-wing extremist.
Edit once again: The man is a Christian right-wing extremist and is part of right-wing extremist group. He has no military background, but he owned two weapons.

Here's an image from the aftermath of the bombing, for those interested:
2-87c8dac9-0bc26f30.jpeg

Last edited:
Level 14
Sorry for going off-topic but this is a big revelation for me that Norway is considered to have been involved in WW2.

I am saying that just because, Romania wanted to stay neutral during WW2 but was forced to join the war on the side of the germans because of our oil supplies. We were not ready to engage in any kind of war, germans entered with armed weapons and tanks and we couldn't do anything. Than the germans used our troops as cannon fodder for the war untill russians fought the germans back and than we were kind of in a spot where we didn't want to be... we had to ally the russians now, and than the russian used our infantry as cannon fodder too. I don't need to point out that we lost a lot of men during the whole war.

Not to mention that our oil refineries were also bombed.

And at the end of WW2 "Romania !? Romania wasn't involved, let's see give this teritory to Ukraine, this to Bulgary... hmm this to Hungary, this to Serbia... make half of Moldavia it's own republic... there we go. All solved."

Meh, politics.

Level 25
Sorry for going off-topic but this is a big revelation for me that Norway is considered to have been involved in WW2.

I am saying that just because, Romania wanted to stay neutral during WW2 but was forced to join the war on the side of the germans because of our oil supplies. We were not ready to engage in any kind of war, germans entered with armed weapons and tanks and we couldn't do anything. Than the germans used our troops as cannon fodder for the war untill russians fought the germans back and than we were kind of in a spot where we didn't want to be... we had to ally the russians now, and than the russian used our infantry as cannon fodder too. I don't need to point out that we lost a lot of men during the whole war.

Not to mention that our oil refineries were also bombed.

And at the end of WW2 "Romania !? Romania wasn't involved, let's see give this teritory to Ukraine, this to Bulgary... hmm this to Hungary, this to Serbia... make half of Moldavia it's own republic... there we go. All solved."

Meh, politics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_heavy_water_sabotage
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occupation_of_Norway_by_Nazi_Germany

Ontopic,
The numbers are more around 80-90, most of them teenagers.

The teenagers were on a camp to discuss left wing politics, which is what made them the target of this extremist right-wing maniac. Also the police didn't enter before, because they thought the island was rigged with explosives, which caused them not to enter before 1,5 hours later than the shooting was reported. The killer used his police uniform to lure out and gather all the teenagers before and after the shooting. Because of the 1,5 hours he had, the act seemed more like an mass execution.

Level 22
The death toll is now 92 from Utøya, but some are still missing. 7 people have been confirmed dead after the bombing. The police are now quite certain it was only one man, since it was the person behind the shooting that made the bomb.

Level 11
I saw this on TV and i must say it was horrible,i mean,what man could turn against his ,,brothers",his fellows,and murder them mercilessly...If it would have been a terrorism attack it wouldn't have the same dramatic hit like seeing norvegians being killed by another norvegians?OMG
I can only say that i am happy they caught that bastard...

Level 22
Christianity? It's not like Islam or any other abrahamic religion is better.
Hehe, about that. The news channel over here in Norway interviewed some American professor on terrorism, and he said that Christianity is a bigger threat than Islam when it comes to terrorism, and most of the terrorist attacks done on US soil were committed by Christians.

It stroke me as a bit odd as I've never heard of any terrorist attacks committed by Christians, but he listed many examples and I concluded that the media are consisting mostly of Christians so they would rather try to make other religions look worse. This is why most people think about Islam and Al Qaida when terrorism is mentioned.

Level 7
Even though I am a theist (for the sake of anonymity, I won't disclose my religion), even I have to admit many religions out there shatter peace despite their proclamations about it. I am not against any religion, as I believe freedom of belief is indeed a fundamental right, but I would support a proposal to bring these outbursts of violence to a minimum even if it meant, in some way, restricting certain religious procedures. Any activity deemed righteous or religious that threatens the life of another human is, in essence, against moral standards, which are pillars upon which religions are based.

Freedom to practice your religion and believe what you want is one thing. Taking the lives of fellow innocent humans is another, and the two shouldn't ever be related.

Level 14
Christianity? It's not like Islam or any other abrahamic religion is better.

You didn't understand, it was a joke.
That's what everyone says when a muslim commits a terrorist act, they blame the religion. But when a Christian does it it's suddenly a massacre only motivated by insanity.

And yes read his political and religious views, he thinks he's a crusader.

Level 22
@TRD Did they bomb places because of their Christian ideology? Or were they just Christian?

Dunno if you're referring to the attacks in the USA or the attack here in Norway, but the ones who committed the attacks were Christians (both in the USA and here).
The people that were attacked here in Norway weren't picked because of their religion, but because they were members of the political party AP (Labour Party in the UK, only AP is more left-wing).

An example of an attack in the US is The Oklahoma City Bombing in 1995 (Kinda similar to the bombing that occurred here in Norway).
It's considered the worst terrorist attack on US soil after 9/11.

Level 10
They said in the news he shot victims with dum-dums. Wonder from where he got dum-dums. And the weapons for that matter, but the bombs were made with fertilizer it's my understanding, and I can imagine ways he would get guns. But how do you get dum-dums in Norway? Not that I need to know, but I just wonder a little bit.

Level 14
This guy may be burned alive on a cross as punishment. Killing adults is one thing, but killing teens (kids) never yields good results for the attackers. This one let himself be captured alive, probably thinks he'll become a martyr after he's punished.

The worst of it is that attacks like these will become more popular over the next few decades. Compromise will cease to be viable as percieved resources are depleted.

//\\==//\\

Level 22
Never heard anything about dum-dums, but he was a member of Oslo pistol club. I guess that's how he got them. It's not easy getting guns in Norway. You need special permission.

And yes, the bomb is fertilizer based. It's called ANFO, Ammonium Nitrate Fuel Oil. Very simple to make and the ingredients can be bought by anyone legally.

This guy may be burned alive on a cross as punishment. Killing adults is one thing, but killing teens (kids) never yields good results for the attackers. This one let himself be captured alive, probably thinks he'll become a martyr after he's punished.

The worst of it is that attacks like these will become more popular over the next few decades. Compromise will cease to be viable as percieved resources are depleted.

//\\==//\\

He will get 21 years of imprisonment, which is maximum punishment in Norway.

Level 7
[...] killing teens (kids) never yields good results for the attackers [...]

Neither does killing adults. The weight and implication of his sentence would not have been too different had he killed the same amount of people but of a different mean age. Morally, lives are still lives.

And I don't think the word 'martyr' would describe him. From its Greek etymology *, a martyr is actually someone who bears zealous or faithful witness. This person comitted an act of murder under the pretense of being zealous. If he really were zealous, though, I believe insanity would become a factor.

As for his 21 years of imprisonment, whether it does him justice or not remains to be seen in my opinion. I doubt the others there share his zeal. :wink:

Level 22
The kids he killed were politicians and some of them were Muslims. AP (the political party that was attacked) supports multiculturalism and doesn't have anything against Islam, or any other religion for that matter. So he didn't "fail" in his quest.

Also, apparently it's possible to increase the punishment to 30 years even though the maximum is 21 years by interpreting everything in a specific way (just read a short snippet of some article). I think it was something about it being a crime committed against mankind. Also, he has been put in complete isolation for 4 weeks and will remain without contact to the outside world for 8 weeks (harsh, but deserved, form of custody) before the actual punishment takes effect.

Of course, I would rather have him sent to Al Qaida and let them treat him how they want (I don't think they like people who hate Islam).

Level 35
I find it absolutely absurd that Amy Winehouse (who is a respectable musican nonetheless) is getting more media coverage and attention that this massacre. I know it's difficult to compare a life for a life, but she paved her way towards her own demise with her drug use. All this celebrity voyeurism only fuels a machine of mindless consumerism after a celebrity death. Parkinson's Law of Triviality is most applicable here: her death is trivial compared to the innocent lives of teenagers stripped away by a Christian zealot.

Level 22
^ Well those who talk about people being brainwashed by the music&TV industry are very right, whether conspiracists or not. People are too much consumed by TV and music crap and deny realizing lots of things happening around them as being brainwashed. Also consumerism indeed, people would suck less if they were less materialistic.

Level 25
I find it absolutely absurd that Amy Winehouse (who is a respectable musican nonetheless) is getting more media coverage and attention that this massacre. I know it's difficult to compare a life for a life, but she paved her way towards her own demise with her drug use. All this celebrity voyeurism only fuels a machine of mindless consumerism after a celebrity death. Parkinson's Law of Triviality is most applicable here: her death is trivial compared to the innocent lives of teenagers stripped away by a Christian zealot.

Depends on the country that shows the news.
But on the other hand, people in various countries in Africa are dying in a much larger numbers than these murders by hunger. Yet almost nothing is shown in the papers and we are all... ok with that.

Level 11
Depends on the country that shows the news.
But on the other hand, people in various countries in Africa are dying in a much larger numbers than these murders by hunger. Yet almost nothing is shown in the papers and we are all... ok with that.

It's all about media's rating in my opinion,they show up what is new and disturbing,but when no one pays particular attention into watching it,then it switches of and goes to another subject
Like with this one,they will continue showing this and posting news until as long as they get rating,when the bar starts falling...the end...

lol,btw,it just showed up that there was a romanian girl among those norvegians...i was kinda surprised to find out...
Anyway,i think that guy,got the idea of the crusader kinda wrong,as crusaders were mostly people who defended the Holy Land,or retrieved it back from muslim control if i am right...this guy defended nothing...

Level 25
It's all about media's rating in my opinion,they show up what is new and disturbing,but when no one pays particular attention into watching it,then it switches of and goes to another subject
Like with this one,they will continue showing this and posting news until as long as they get rating,when the bar starts falling...the end...

lol,btw,it just showed up that there was a romanian girl among those norvegians...i was kinda surprised to find out...
Anyway,i think that guy,got the idea of the crusader kinda wrong,as crusaders were mostly people who defended the Holy Land,or retrieved it back from muslim control if i am right...this guy defended nothing...

In his opinion, he defended his Country from other cultures, the people he killed where politicians in training, people who liked to have a country with multiple cultures.
If you want more info, read his manifesto or watch his video.

Level 17
You know what really pisses me off?

All of these two faced media fucking outlets are calling him various names. The Guardian called him the "Norwegian Gunman", The New York Times called him the "Oslo Suspect", and Fox News calls him the "Norwegian Suspect".

Why the FUCK is no one calling him out on what he is? He is a TERRORIST.

NO, that word is NOT just exclusive to Muslims you hypocritical, two faced bigoted fucks. I swear to fucking Christ that if this man was a Muslim, the media would be crawling with THE NORWEGIAN TERRORIST, THE UTOYA TERRORIST, THE OSLO TERRORIST.

Really pisses me off.

Oh yeah, and anyone know about Glenn Beck?

Yeah, apparently this guy not only sides with the terrorist, but he takes the opportunity to attack Muslims. Meanwhile, the entire attack had been a massive hate crime on Muslims. But nooo, of course Glenn Beck is going to side with the insane Christian.

The only difference is that Glenn Beck isn't a homicidal maniac, so he doesnt even have that excuse for being a fucking turd of a human being.

To be honest, I find the world's reaction to this event just as sickening as the crime itself.

Oh yeah, and anyone know about Glenn Beck?

Yeah, apparently this guy not only sides with the terrorist, but he takes the opportunity to attack Muslims. Meanwhile, the entire attack had been a massive hate crime on Muslims. But nooo, of course Glenn Beck is going to side with the insane Christian.

The only difference is that Glenn Beck isn't a homicidal maniac, so he doesnt even have that excuse for being a fucking turd of a human being.

To be honest, I find the world's reaction to this event just as sickening as the crime itself.

Glenn beck is a moron, he seriously compared the camp to Hitler Jungen and thought Geert Wilders was from Denmark. He should have at least taken the courtesy to know what he's talking about and done some field study. He clearly haven't the faintest idea what's going on in Europe, and should refrain from commenting on it completely, if he is that insistent on being completely ignorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.