• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Night Elves are Mortals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe the "wounding" of the world tree has a huge effect...

This may not be relevant but take for example Thalia's tree from Percy jackson series... It protects the camp from outsiders, but when it was poisoned, even if the effects are only starting (meaning the tree is still alive), the protective barrier was already ineffective...

Level 17
The first World Tree (called Nordrassil) was blessed by Nozdormu, a timeless dragon aspect. Nordrassil was grown in the waters of the first well of eternity (and the night elves were born and raised near it), which is widely believed to be what gave the night elves their immortality in the first place.

Following the war with the burning legion, Fandral tried to restore night elf immortality by rebuilding the tree. This failed, however, since the new tree was never blessed by Nozdormu.

So the answer is yes, as of current WoW lore.

...but WoW lore is fucked. blizzard created something rich and then started shitting on it to contrive new excuses for their cash cow expansions.

Night elves can become mages, being one off the top of my head. That's right. A minimalist society of people who have a huge aversion to the arcane (some outright despise anyone who has anything to do with it) can now become mages because LOL CATACLYSM

Level 31
Despite not dying of age, night elves were never really immortal.
For an example of an immortal being you can take sargeras. He has been "killed" more than once, but still keeps coming back.

sargeras has never died and sargeras is a bad example because not all immortal beings could return. night elves can still die of disease or wounds just not old age

yeah... somehow, even if the meaning of the word immortal is like not able to die, immortals can still die... in any game or movie or story, I haven't seen a real immortal being...

Take Highlander: Battle of the Immortals for example... even the title banners the word immortal, but if you cut off their heads, they die...

Level 24
The only race in WarCraft that's truelly immortal are the old gods since the only one who has physically died still has his spirit lingering on Azeroth. The question however I believe is what's the definition of a mortal on Azeroth. When we're discussing that topic we can only go on the description granted by the dragonflights which see the Naaru, Pantheons, Old God and Elune as immortals since they're considered gods by their standards the aspects also used to see themselves as a non-mortal race since they were granted the powers of the Pantheons but if you read Dawn of the Aspects you'll see that Ysera says that the aspects now mortals.

if you however want to go by your own opinion of what immortal means it's possible that there are far more races we don't know who are immortals since it has been confirmed that a specie of jellyfishes can live forever if no physical harm is done to them, lobsters also have regenerating abilitys in real life and it's at the moment uncertain how long lived they trully are so races such as makruras could very well also be able to live for an eternity if no physical damage was taken.

Level 24
No physical damage taken? Well, wouldn't we live forever if there was no damage? We die out by disease many people would say, but that's still physical damage.

No because just like milk every living animal like humans have a expiration date so death by age is innevitable but animals such as lobsters and jellyfishes that have regenerative abilitys are able to take on new body allowing themselves to live longer than their physical body would normally allow.

For instance people who are growing short with age are doing so because the fluid in their spine is slowly dissapering, that fluid can be maintained for a longer time through working out but every physical object has a date where it expires.

And for all we know there could be more animals in the world that can live for an eternity for instance not only do we know incredible little about the ocean but there are also the possibility of life existing on other planets, Kepler-62e and Kepler-62f that are spinning around the star Kepler-62 are verry good candidates for hosting lifeforms similar to ours.

Level 2
Before the Destruction of the World Tree, night elves had infinite time of life, but they could still die in combat.

After the Destruction of the World Tree, night elves lost their connection with the Well of Eternity and this their infinite life time was taken from them. They can still live up to 5 thousand years though.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The long life spans of Nightelves is kind of pointless seeing how their life expectancy due to all the combat is probably between 20 and 23. Who cares if you can live to many thousands of years of age if some Gnoll... Warg... whatever hits you on the head with a mace and kills you.

Level 24
The long life spans of Nightelves is kind of pointless seeing how their life expectancy due to all the combat is probably between 20 and 23. Who cares if you can live to many thousands of years of age if some Gnoll... Warg... whatever hits you on the head with a mace and kills you.

I would hardly complain if I was given the life span of a night elf or a krogan, I would rather take the bet of a long lifespan than the certainty of a short one.

Level 24
Immortal in WoW only refers to age.

Incorrect, the standard deffinition of immortal in the WarCraft universe is as I said someone who wields the powers of gods therefor enteties such as Elune and Cenarius are considered immortal, if you've seen the 4.3 ending cinematic after you slay Deathwing Alexstrasza says "The champions who faught at our side ensured the survival of our world, but now, we must see it with mortal eyes." this is later also confirmed in the novell Dawn of the Aspects where Ysera defines the former aspects as mortal beings, this despite the fact that the aspects are at this point tens of thousands of years old if not more and they pretty much intend to keep living for an eternity.

Level 24
They all suck compared to Raynor. We will soon be able to prove that when they go into combat with axes while Raynor goes into combat with a laser rifle! hahaha.

To be fair Raynor only gets to battle mortals, had he been pited against someone with truelly remarkable power such as Malygos who was the most powerfull dragon in existence before his death James Raynor would have been anihilated. Don't kid yourself his friend Nova might have nuclear bombs but against the power of the gods James and Nova are nothing.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
To be fair Raynor only gets to battle mortals, had he been pited against someone with truelly remarkable power such as Malygos who was the most powerfull dragon in existence before his death James Raynor would have been anihilated. Don't kid yourself his friend Nova might have nuclear bombs but against the power of the gods James and Nova are nothing.
Yet here he is in SC2, locked in a battle against Amon with Kerrigan. Amon, a being of unknown and ultimate power who is known to be able to eradicate all life unless major actions were taken. Kid yourself not that Amon is weak, his Hybrid are capable of destroying powerful beings without ever making physical contact, and that is the start as his greatest creations have not even been fully revealed. He also poses ultimate knowledge, is immortal (died but can be resurrected) and uses the power of the void, a cosmic force unmatched. Considering Hybrid can shred entire town sized Battlecruisers effortlessly, I have a feeling the poor WoW heroes would probably reconsider an attack.

So yeh... I do not think Raynor is going down any time soon. Especially since his hero form is given substantial buffs to weaponry and fire power over his melee unit form.

Level 24
I think we both know that they're all scaled to make battles even and it does not really take the lore into account at all, it's even said in the trailer that the only reason these battles is entertainment if it actually took place acourding to lore I don't think the game would be remotly even since I have a hard time imagining that they're all exactly equal in skill. Besides I don't know if you actually take the lore into account but lets compare, Malygos has the power to destroy the world ten times over, Raynor has a gun that can fire through a piece of metal.

Level 9
The first World Tree (called Nordrassil) was blessed by Nozdormu, a timeless dragon aspect. Nordrassil was grown in the waters of the first well of eternity (and the night elves were born and raised near it), which is widely believed to be what gave the night elves their immortality in the first place.

Following the war with the burning legion, Fandral tried to restore night elf immortality by rebuilding the tree. This failed, however, since the new tree was never blessed by Nozdormu.

So the answer is yes, as of current WoW lore.

...but WoW lore is fucked. blizzard created something rich and then started shitting on it to contrive new excuses for their cash cow expansions.

Night elves can become mages, being one off the top of my head. That's right. A minimalist society of people who have a huge aversion to the arcane (some outright despise anyone who has anything to do with it) can now become mages because LOL CATACLYSM

Dude, I was reading more than two hours about the night elfs and mages. And I discovered that at the beginning of Azeroth, that night elves were the first races exist, even being originated of trolls (which always can be mages). There was a faction called Highborne, who commanded all the elves (the night elves). They were not so humble, and religions. Thus did greed and the creation of the War of the Ancients. Making separation between the elves, who wanted to continue with the interests spells. And the creation of the Nagas.

The elves who yet were seeking the magic, most became High Elf.

I only say one thing in this image, the origin of races.

attachment.php

If troll can be mages, I think night elves could be too.

More details here: http://www.wowwiki.com/Highborne

Attachments

• Elfo evolution.jpg
    Elfo evolution.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 110
Level 24
If troll can be mages, I think night elves could be too.

I think you're missing the point, the kal'dorei banished the quel'dorei because they wielded magic therefor it's considered wrong by most that they now allow their people to once again practice the lore of the arcane.

Also I spotted a few misstakes in your post first of all in that image which is incomplete since the night elves did mutate from the dark trolls but the dark trolls are descendants of the Gurubashi trolls who in their turn are descendants of the Zandalari trolls. Also the trolls are not confirmed to be one of the oldest races, the races who lived on Azeroth before the titans arrived was the mantid, the proto-drakes, the faceless ones and the elementals all except for the proto-drakes has been confirmed to serve the Old Gods during this time period.

Also the chart you have does not entierly cover all the truth out there since many of the highelves including Queen Azshara were thrown into the ocean during the great sundering of the continents at this point they were contacted by the Old Gods who promised the survival of the highbourn if they agreed to serve the Old Gods and thus the naga was created. Azshara still rulling her people had the power to defeat the pit lord Mannoroth and now that she is 10 000 years older and pumped up on Old God steroids she could maybe even defeat Kil'Jaiden and it's also highly possible that she is stronger than Deathwing.

Level 9
I think you're missing the point, the kal'dorei banished the quel'dorei because they wielded magic therefor it's considered wrong by most that they now allow their people to once again practice the lore of the arcane.

Also I spotted a few misstakes in your post first of all in that image which is incomplete since the night elves did mutate from the dark trolls but the dark trolls are descendants of the Gurubashi trolls who in their turn are descendants of the Zandalari trolls. Also the trolls are not confirmed to be one of the oldest races, the races who lived on Azeroth before the titans arrived was the mantid, the proto-drakes, the faceless ones and the elementals all except for the proto-drakes has been confirmed to serve the Old Gods during this time period.

Also the chart you have does not entierly cover all the truth out there since many of the highelves including Queen Azshara were thrown into the ocean during the great sundering of the continents at this point they were contacted by the Old Gods who promised the survival of the highbourn if they agreed to serve the Old Gods and thus the naga was created. Azshara still rulling her people had the power to defeat the pit lord Mannoroth and now that she is 10 000 years older and pumped up on Old God steroids she could maybe even defeat Kil'Jaiden and it's also highly possible that she is stronger than Deathwing.

I was getting exhausted making the post. But I had a suspicion that night elves were decent of the dark trolls. I had spoken that not all the elves greed by spells turned high elfs, some it turned on Naga is course.

The part of the trolls. And picked randomly.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
It is hard to understand death in Warcraft...

WarCraft III and its campaign demonstrated both hero immortality (able to be resurrected at an alter) and Mortality (once killed, dead forever). This was further demonstrated in WoW where certain famous characters could be killed and are meant to be dead forever but the player's hero turns into a Ghost and can be resurrected.

The lore from Warcraft III was (as far as I can tell) someone with the will and power to resurrect a dead being is required to be immortal. As long as a mortal owned at least 1 alter under his command he could resurrect indefinitely when killed. Most of the permanent deaths were made by total annihilation or by power shifts, since they no longer controlled an alter or had an ally willing to resurrect them. This was shown off all too much by the Undead and Illidan who would constantly suicide against you just to be resurrected a few minutes later.

Warcraft III also violated this at multiple stages. Cenarius and Archimonde both suffered apparent permanent deaths. Grom Hellscream also was mortally wounded and suffered a permanent death in a battle with a demon. This is either lore stupidity or that alters have limits to the power of beings they can resurrect (Cenarius was a demi-god and Archimonde an incarnation of pure destruction (WAS, when WC3 was made) and the type of wounds that could be resurrected (Wounds from powerful beings like a Pit-Lord could not be resurrected from). However this also means that there is a possibility that resurrection of such beings can be done as long as the being doing so is powerful enough, which probably is impossible for some.

This is something that is much more clear with StarCraft and Diablo. There death is quite obviously permanent with very few exceptions. Kerrigan, for example, retreats back to her base to re-heal when low on health instead of dying and being resurrected. The Demons and Angels in Diablo are spiritual beings so normal death laws do not really apply (their mortal shells can be reformed over time if their soul is intact), Human death is permanent although their spirits and souls may linger and influence the world. StarCraft II has exceptions of truly immortal beings, such as Amon, who can be resurrected even when killed but the energy to do so may prevent that from being practical.

Status
Not open for further replies.