• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Next modelling contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Wow, I didn't think it was that well-received. :p
~~~

Yeah, Altars can have loads of stuff. First off, there's just the sheer quantity of races that need altars (Jungle Trolls, Dwarves, Trolls, Kobolds, Gnomes, Trolls, Goblins (a different one), Trolls, Nerubian (wait, no), Tauren, Troll, Satyr, Centaur, Troll... :p).

Then you have all the different options; you could have a statue, sure. Or a carving, or a totem, or an actual "altar" (like the Sunken Ruins doodad).

Finally, you could even scratch the whole "Wc3 Hero Altar" thing and go for a real-life Altar (like making the Ark of the Covenant or something).

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
*whew*. Finally! Just finished going through every Modelling contest, checking it's theme (and picking up spare models, kekeke).

It appears that past themes have been:
1)Attachment Pack
2)Creep Hero
3)Citadel (?)
4)Mech
5)Neutral Doodad Structure Pack
6)Halloween
7)Siege Weapon
8)Cavalry
9)Flying Unit
10)Elemental
11)Chimaera
12)Female version of Wc3 unit

So... I don't know what that does. We need someone to go through all the other idea threads for ideas. :p

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
o_O

Are you serious? Do you want a repeat of the Techtree Contest poll? (for those who didn't see it, we had a poll to pick the "Theme". Some of the options included "Dwarf", "Tauren", "Naga", and the like. Meaning that each entrant would be made to create the same race.)

Once again, O_-freakin'-o...

~~~

Also, in case this does go through as an "Altar" contest, I just wanna throw it out there; I have a kick-awexome idea for a (Jungle) Troll altar. Seriously. :p

o_O

Are you serious? Do you want a repeat of the Techtree Contest poll? (for those who didn't see it, we had a poll to pick the "Theme". Some of the options included "Dwarf", "Tauren", "Naga", and the like. Meaning that each entrant would be made to create the same race.)

Once again, O_-freakin'-o...

Exactly. Specifically altars are not going to happen as a theme.

"Religious places" is more broad than just "altars".

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Exactly. Specifically altars are not going to happen as a theme.

"Religious places" is more broad than just "altars".
Hmm, if you say so. I was referring to this, though:
Juse_Spectating said:
we should restrict it a little more than just altars.

like, maybe a certain unit altar, or certain race.

Because there are enough different races for just "Altars" to be a fitting Contest; not to mention the people who take "Altar" creatively (as aforementioned; 'religious places of worship', or 'bloody altar of sacrifice', etc).

Level 35
Make an altar for any race within WC3, Trolls, Ogres, Kobolds or even Tuskarr! You get the point.

YEAH! GIVE US ALTARS! GIVE US ALTARS! *protest chants*

There is no need to 'limit it to a specific race', I mean geez...Why not just kill the creativity of the contest all together.

Just say "make it a warcraft race plox" and there you have it!

Altars are boring buildings. All of them look like this:

Attachments

• altars.jpg
    altars.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 73
Level 35
How are altars boring? They have statues! You can make all kinds of awesome things for the statue alone, and that isn't counting the particles, the pillars, the base, the placement of the stairs, the use of 'light fixtures', and effects.

Level 35
Pyritie...Do you have any idea what I'm even talking about?

Statues are not altars, in case you haven't noticed.

...I do believe I know what an altar is in real life...However....To note a bit of something concerning altars in warcraft...

Altar_of_Kings.jpg
<statue
Altar_of_Elders.gif
<statue
Altarofdarkness.gif
<statue
Altarofstorms.gif
<statue
AltaroftheDepths.jpg
<Even the Naga!

All of these buildings called 'altars' have statues, or some form of 'center piece'.

The point of this contest would be to make an awesome base, and a dang righteously awesome center piece, or statue, and light fixtures.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Linaze said:
A good example would be the post after yours, Kirby0.
Actually, I think a "music-related" modelling contest could be really interesting. :p Maybe not necessarily super-useful... But you win some, you lose some. I just don't want that for this contest.

Pyritie said:
We're not doing just "altars". Religious buildings, maybe. But not solely altars.
Even though several modellers (who would then enter) have agreed with and/or fought for this option?... Alright.
Then just do "Religious Buildings". But please make sure to mention stuff like "Wc3 Hero Altars", so people think of it as an option. I mean, I'd like to think that these modelling contests garner both amazing displays of modelling prowess, and good resources for use in Warcraft 3.

Mechanical Man said:
Altars are boring buildings. All of them look like this:
-_- While they have many similar aspects (pillars, statues, stairs), they can vary in many ways. Also, who says you have to do exactly as Blizzard did? Mix it up a bit, make it interesting.

altars.jpg

Altars: All five altars are symmetrical, feature four "pillar"-like things, and have stairs leading up to a statue or idol of some sort. "Working" animations include a glowing orb thingummy (NE, Naga), a lightning sort of effect (Orc), and lit torches (HU, UD).
See, even with those "similar bits" (pillars, a statue, stairs), Blizzard managed to make 4 uniquely separate and interesting altars. Undead actually has stairs going down (beneath the statue), reminiscent of a tomb. Even the building materials and motifs present in the architecture really show off the race they're from.

That's the other thing; making a racial altar isn't as simple or low-brow as throwing some random junk on their and calling it "Altar of Awexome":
I realized that [each Altar] hit a deeper level of each race than one would normally think (usually). i.e. for Orcs, it wasn't "Altar of War" or "Altar of Doom" or something; it was "Altar of Storms". This draws a great parallel to the "new" baby-face Horde, and it's strong Shamanistic ties.
Same with the Night Elven Altar of Elders; at first you're like, WTHeck? Elders? Wouldn't it be "Trees", or "Nature", or "the Moon", or anything? But no; this drives the point home that, with the NElven increased lifespan, they have some serious "old-wise-people", and that they respect their elders a whole ton.
(Humans = Altar of Kings, alright, not obvious -- Undead = Altar of Darkness, duh -- Naga = Altar of the Depths, not as deep (lawl), but still a good word).

~~~

All I'm saying is, "Altars" isn't too restrictive. But even if it "is", "Religious Buildings" will work; just don't discout Altars. They can use the same basic formula, to very creative effect.

Level 31
lol I don't mean high-poly like movie quality. I mean higher than regular WC3. So, it would be like say..... Dawn of War quality or something.

Someone, said something about them not fitting in.... A lot of the models don't fit in. But, when you have enough of them, they fit with each-other.

Also, someone said they wouldn't get approved in the model section. Erm...So? I mean, the model section approval rules are severely flawed in my opinion. I mean seriously, not approving a soldier or something because it is 1500polys? That's bull. For heaven's sake. We act like everyone here has the most crappy computers on the planet.

Anyway, just a suggestion. No gang-piling needed. (Not saying you were, just saying for the future. lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.