• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Hive's First HD Model Contest - Theme Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
In the last thread it has been decided that the Hive's first HD Model Contest should focus around model edits
with a certain level behind the editing. - thank you to all who participated in the poll!

The next question is: What should the theme of the contest be?
Please bring us your suggestions so that we can then all together decide in a poll what theme the contest should use!
If you think that model edits in itself should be the theme rather than adding another "limitation", feel free to bring that
up as well!

I believe that it would be fun to create, for example, a peon model for other races. The trick is that the peon models are quite buggy yet incredibly useful, and they would also allow for other modders and map-makers to create new melee races.

Another useful idea would be to hero-ize creep models; for example, hero versions of Tuskarrs, Nerubians, Bandits, Gnolls...

Just my 2 cents.

Having done so much lore accurate WarCraft stuff lately, I wouldn't mind diverging into some different theme. Warhammer / Diablo related contest would be nice (not strictly those IPs, but fantasy definitely).
In fact going that direction would incentivise modelers to prove how much use the Reforged assets have in them and how creative one can be.
Making another knight or orc (by the gods we have made enough already!) can be done well, but honestly, I just want to see the craziest, best models ever made.

Let's think of an example: a guy makes a Norse giant. Everything from direct geoset edits to animation bone scaling could be used (misshapen long legs yet big feet and toes, larger belly yet skinny but gigantic features). There also is such a wast amount of geosets to be exploited for armor and weapon pieces that for some not even a retexture is needed.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there not much of a difference between a Reforged HD hero and nonhero model?

In the SD models, heroes typically had glowing weapons and higher polygon count, but I do not see the glowing weapons on the HD models and the polygon counts were typically high enough that I tended to assume the artists simply didn't care the difference with regards to polygon count.

So, if "making a hero version" of a creep would mean adding a ParticleEmitterPopcorn node to produce the Reforged glow, that would seem to be unfortunately a low-effort bar. I suppose the notion of "hero-ify" would depend on making something new and not simply glowing and would end up okay because of the artists doing it and their passions and reasons for being here. But for some reason it feels less natural to me. Maybe I'm wrong.

I'm still on the fence about whether I will participate, knowing in my mind that I have a laundry list of hobby code to write that knows no end that could easily lead me to forget to participate.
But I think in general even the theme suggestions we've seen so far are broad enough to be fun, really.

Another possible topic might be to try to do SD/HD model pairs. Since this is an HD contest, maybe the way to do that theme would be to ask users to implement an HD version of some other SD model that already exists (this could be models removed on Reforged like Chaos Space Orc, or even just fan submitted SD models on Hive). A "HD version of existing SD model" theme would most likely be a step towards solving the technology gap of how map authors are meant to support both modes.

But it's also just a brainstorm and matching the model against something that exists is at risk of being quite limiting. Some of the other topics suggested already might be less limiting.

Regardless I think we're going to have a good time with this contest.

So, if "making a hero version" of a creep would mean adding a ParticleEmitterPopcorn node to produce the Reforged glow, that would seem to be unfortunately a low-effort bar. I suppose the notion of "hero-ify" would depend on making something new and not simply glowing and would end up okay because of the artists doing it and their passions and reasons for being here. But for some reason it feels less natural to me. Maybe I'm wrong.
I was talking about a champion/hero due to a severe lack of creep or neutral heroes. Obviously, dissipates and hero glows are fine, but not the main point of the model.
We have like 10 different paladins, several orc blademasters, many archmages... but we don't have a single murloc hero, nor a centaur, nor a razormane, nor a c'thraxxi... and it would be nice for modders to be able to have villains as well.

Hi all! Simple way - create heroes, which we don't have as models. It will be simple and easy to start competition models theme. People just chose hero from Warcraft lore (Alexandros Mograine, Broxigar and etc) and just try to make their best to recreating all of this character. Participants can use just reforged resources, can retexture them, change geometry. Broke lipsync? Nevermind. We have a lot of arts in the internet so again it will be easier for participants to make characters and it will be very usefull for community!

We need to show others that working with models is not as difficult as it seems and that people have an interest, if not working with models, then creating new projects.

And I want contest with wow models!:peasant-grin: Why so very-very-very-very big sources base like hive has so very-very-very-very little base of wow models?:peasant-thinking:

14.jpg

100.jpg

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
And I want contest with wow models!:peasant-grin: Why so very-very-very-very big sources base like hive has so very-very-very-very little base of wow models?:peasant-thinking:
You want a contest with wow models? Like how? Editing WOW models?

Our WOW model section was created in Sep 2020, so its still farily new and we lack a moderator for it.

Our WOW model section was created in Sep 2020, so its still farily new and we lack a moderator for it.
Probably, what Vulfar (the master of conversion) means, is we should not only use geosets from Reforged, but WoW ones or whatever Blizzard game for that matter. I see absolutely no issue with it, and would love for people to also be allowed to create custom geosets. Let's say they want to make some Troll golem, but the masked face for it is too hard to assembly from Reforged geosets. Why not allow them to use elements from other games or a fully custom mask?

As example, people take character base model and than rip elemnts what they need for it. They can add some particles emitters, work with animations (combine from wow animations), retexture, edit wow geosets. The main idea of it is to encourage people to be creative and develop a resource base.

Probably, what Vulfar (the master of conversion) means, is we should not only use geosets from Reforged, but WoW ones or whatever Blizzard game for that matter. I see absolutely no issue with it, and would love for people to also be allowed to create custom geosets. Let's say they want to make some Troll golem, but the masked face for it is too hard to assembly from Reforged geosets. Why not allow them to use elements from other games or a fully custom mask?
I didn't really mean it, but it's good idea too. That people can use assets from another bllizard's games, but they must to adapt them to reforged like this one on screens. So to make normal and orm, emissive if need, recolor/retexture if need.

item3.jpg

item4.jpg

Warcraft III 2021-02-19 22-41-54.png

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
As example, people take character base model and than rip elemnts what they need for it. They can add some particles emitters, work with animations (combine from wow animations), retexture, edit wow geosets. The main idea of it is to encourage people to be creative and develop a resource base.
That could work :) but lets save that discussion for another contest?

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
If there's no other theme suggestion, I would start this without a theme poll, but I do not wish
people to be left out so if anyone has another suggestion, please let me know.
I will wait until Thursday/Friday to see if there are any more.

If there are, we will go to the theme poll.
If not, this is the theme we will use.

Status
Not open for further replies.