• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Theme Discussion for the 28th Texturing Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Let us hear some suggestions for the theme of the 28th Texturing Contest!

This thread will be open for 1 week. After that we will create a public poll with all the posted theme suggestions for people to vote for. The poll will remain open for everyone to vote for another week.

The theme that gets the most votes will be choosen as the official theme for the 28th Texturing Contest!

Personally I have a few suggestions for the theme:
  • Swamp Dwellers
  • Evil Dead
  • Mirror Dimension (Cthulhu's realm, The Mist Creatures etc.)

Last edited:
I'm for the 'maybe kinda cheesy' idea of 'Shattered glass' which means to completely re-imagine a character as evil or good. creatures of evil changing their ways, because those of light have become too cruel.. perhaps only some of the most divine remaining what they are, but they themselves being shattered, shards of what they are in the normal verse

basically what's thought as evil being a force of 'good', and what was good loosing their friendliness

Moy

Moy

Level 49
1. Dragons
2. Birds/Feathers
3. Calamity - Create a skin that represents a natural disaster. Like earthquakes tsunamis and the like.
4. Celestial - Create a heavenly body inspired skin.
5. Buildings - yeah it would be a repeated theme, but we haven't seen a number of skin from this category.
6. Critters - a little bit hard
That's all for now XD

• Swamp Dwellers
  • Evil Dead
  • Mirror Dimension (The Mist Creatures)

Archian wants more Horror textures.. that's for sure ;)

Here's a few ideas:
-Props/buildings. .... we hardly have any custom textures for those.
-Sci-fi pirate.
-Stranger : take the idea of the Diablo2 cloacked man and ask people to change any units into something mysterious.
-1 unit: you pick a custom model with a neat texture and ask people to turn it into something different.
-The BEAST: a surname that can mean quite a lot of things. let people get creative.
-The warrior/The mage/The priest/The rogue: reinvent any unit into a classic 70s ideas of a DND character.
-Final form (over 9000). Turn any units into his elite counter part. like what would jaina look if she was in her final form.

Level 10
The themes proposed are interesting, indeed.

I'd like to propose (later maybe I'll add more):

- Elementals (Perhaps that's correct to named the theme; all things related to: calamities, tsunamies etc that was mentioned above)

- Civilization related theme (Create a skin related to civ of Viking, Roman, Egyptian, Chinese, Thracian/Dacian, Sumerian, Native American Tribes etc ) [It would be interesting if it is allowed to create for this theme contest, 1 unit and 1 building skins, just for the reason as never is enough of this kind of resource/s.]

- Old Civ gods (Zeus, Kronos, Odin, Thor etc)
- Old Gods (C'Thun, N'Zoth etc and/or their minions)
- Middle-Earth Theme
- Recreation of Original Skins (An example can my skin: NewCityStructures)

More specific themes:
- Dwarves, Elves, Nerubian and other races in Warcraft universe (Create a skin for a race mentioned)
- Theme related to "insignificant" characters, factions in Warcraft universe (Examples: Some small ogre, orc clans etc)
- Conversion of War3 Units, buildings etc into something specific from another game, adaptation from a book, story ...

And whatever theme will be picked, it's great to see that there will be another contest, maybe I'll also participate. )

Level 30
Lots of themes y'all suggested have already been done in the past contests. If you wish to revisit those themes, Arowanna made a nice thread about that.

Suggestions:
- Life Cycle - Create a skin for any ladder-only model using the theme of Spring, Summer, Autumn or Winter (or multiple, if preferred)
- Year of the Dog - Chinese mythology and culture inspired contest

I'm just here to say it again, gender bending.

And as always, I do prefer the restrictive stuff, akin to the race specific - Trolll for example - and the "Only This Unit" challenge.
but war3 models are really not easy to change the gender of xD especially those designed as female xD

edit: don't even try demon hunter. he'll have back-boobs xP i tried

Level 35
I have an odd idea, that I am fairly certain haven't been done before:

The Invisible skin contest, where you have to create a skin, with at least 30-40 % of the skin removed - Say a floating head, with legs, or headless floating horseman or whatever. It is of course part of the judgment criteria how natural it looks in game.

As for other random notions:

Create a villain/dangerous monster from something peaceful (critter, villager - so forth: Non-threatening entities) -> Kinda useless though.

Level 18
I have an odd idea, that I am fairly certain haven't been done before:

The Invisible skin contest, where you have to create a skin, with at least 30-40 % of the skin removed - Say a floating head, with legs, or headless floating horseman or whatever. It is of course part of the judgment criteria how natural it looks in game.

As for other random notions:

Create a villain/dangerous monster from something peaceful (critter, villager - so forth: Non-threatening entities) -> Kinda useless though.

some model parts cant be alpha-ed i think?

Level 35
@RED BARON as long as custom models are allowed I think it is a pretty good theme.

Yea, I guess it would be a bit too tough with only wc3 models :grin: Even if some of them has some amazing alpha options. Glad you like it, was going for something more unique and I guess slightly tougher to pull of.

some model parts cant be alpha-ed i think?

More of a challenge then :smile:

Level 10
Lots of themes y'all suggested have already been done in the past contests. If you wish to revisit those themes, Arowanna made a nice thread about that.

Ok, thank you for informing about this thing and I know about Arowanna's thread. I wrote what I had on my mind and proposed. )

Maybe it someday was proposed, but want to submit this idea:

- Bandits (Create a skin representing bandits or associate things with them, e.g buildings etc)

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
These are the suggestions so far o_O

• Swamp Dwellers
  • Evil Dead
  • Mirror Dimension (The Mist Creatures)
  • Shattered glass
  • Gender-swap
  • Doodads set: 3 doodads texture that form a coherant set
  • Corruption
  • Dragons
  • Birds/Feathers
  • Calamity
  • Celestial
  • Buildings
  • Critters - a little bit hard
  • Crusade
  • Sci-fi pirate.
  • Stranger
  • The BEAST
  • The warrior/The mage/The priest/The rogue: DND character.
  • Final form (over 9000)
  • Elementals
  • Civilization
  • Old Civ gods (Zeus, Kronos, Odin, Thor etc)
  • Old Gods (C'Thun, N'Zoth etc and/or their minions)
  • Middle-Earth Theme
  • Recreation of Original Skins
  • Life Cycle
  • Year of the Dog
  • Gender bending
  • Invisible skin
  • Create a villain/dangerous monster from something peaceful
  • Dark woods
  • down to earth or adventurous
  • Bandits

Level 14
Just want to point out that Gender-Swap and Gender bending are basically the same theme.

I wonder what the poll will show us. I think they are better ways to determine what to choose then a simple poll here (rank-poll) but let's not complicate this too much :)

Level 14
Speaking of Horror:
- Onryō (Such as Ju-on or The Ring)
- Parasite (Such as The Thing)
- Doll (Such as The Conjuring)
- Weeping Angels
- Or something that is supposed to be lawful good but actually turned into completely evil including form, appearance... (such as Sanctus in DMC 4)

Level 35
well let's add both of our ideas as entries :grin:

although we kinda did have plant-ification contest before.. did we not?

No clue, flowers aren't bad - could also be peaceful versions of "violent" skins - But no need to add my odd notion of creating real plants from units. Better with the less restrictive alpha on models, without strict limits when already creating a fairly high difficulty.

Status
Not open for further replies.