• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Theme Poll - 28th Texturing Contest

Vote for the theme of the 28th Texturing Contest

• Swamp Dwellers

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • Evil Dead

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Mirror Dimension

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Shattered Glass

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Gender-Swap

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Doodads

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Corruption

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Dragons

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Birds/Feathers

• Calamity

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Celestial

• Buildings

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Critters

• Sci-fi Pirate

• Final Form (OVER 9000)

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Old Gods

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • Year of the Dog

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Critters

• Elementals

• Recreate Original Skin

• Life Cycle

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 35
Feel free to see how people described their suggested themes here: Theme Discussion for the 28th Texturing Contest

But considering that apparently some suggestions was removed (I realize that all of mine for instance was removed from the list) - I guess its not obvious what it is. Also why was several of the suggestions removed from this poll?

It looks from the poll that people as if there is a preference for interestingly sounding names, perhaps with little knowledge of what it actually is. I voted for 2 thins that I thought knew what was, but clearly not.

So descriptions and some clarification as to why multiple suggestions from the thread aren't included in this poll, even if they as opposed to several of the suggestions in this poll haven't been done before.

Level 30
@Archian If you don't have time or will, you don't half-ass it - you toss the ball to someone else.

edit:

Explanations of Themes in the Poll:
  • Swamp Dwellers - Create a creature that's bound to be found in a Swamp environment. Boogey monsters and Voodoo Creatures - you name it.
  • Evil Dead - ? (Requires explanation from Archian)
  • Mirror Dimension - Create a horror creature that may take inspiration from Stephen King's The Mist universe.
  • Shattered Glass - Completely re-imagine a character as their Good or Evil counterpart. Due to this theme's restrictions, in order for it to make any sense, only characters from Warcraft universe are allowed.
  • Gender-Swap - As it's title suggests, take a female model and swap it to male-looking one, or reverse.
  • Doodads - Simple and straightforward, re-create a (set of) doodad textures with no limitations on theme.
  • Corruption - ? (Requires explanation from Wareditor)
  • Dragons - Create, or recreate a dragon texture. Also includes draconic minions and spawns.
  • Birds/Feathers - Create an airborne-looking creature that's inspired by the base concept of feathers. The creature does not necessarily have to airborne - one example is a walking Gryphon.
  • Calamity - Create a texture for a character or creature that heavily resembles a natural disaster - Tornado, Tsunami and Earthquake are few examples.
  • Celestial - Create a heavenly creature, an enlightened form. Does not necessarily have to be "good" by alignment, an Angel of Death is an example of "true neutral".
  • Buildings - (Repeated theme, unsure why it's up again) Re-create a (set of) building(s).
  • Critters - Redraw a standard WC3 critter to a theme of any liking (Stag, Frog, Rabbit, Penguin)
  • Sci-fi Pirate - Create a futuristic pirate texture, what would a character look like set up in futuristic universe.
  • Final Form (OVER 9000) - (We also had this theme already, why's it up again?) Recreate a unit into it's elite counterpart.
  • Old Gods - Create something that resembles the Old Gods of Warcraft universe - C'Thun, N'Zoth, ... and/or their minions.
  • Year of the Dog - Chinese mythology and culture inspired contest, with wildcard theme; you can create units, buildings or doodads.
  • Elementals - Simple enough, turn a model into an elemental of [blank].
  • Recreate Original Skin -
  • Life Cycle - Create a skin for any character or creature using the themes of Spring, Summer, Autumn or Winter (or multiple, if preferred).

Last edited:
Reactions: pyf

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
There was a lot of suggestions, I must have missed some when making the poll. That’s a mistake on my part. But I feel the suggestions above are more than enough for this contest. However I can add your suggestion to this poll @RED BARON although it seems a bit too late. Sorry about that.

Personally I’m a fan of the Final Form (over 9000) theme suggestion.

@Apheraz Lucent I see you've edited your post. Good. Such comment doesn't belong on the forum boards, but rather in a personal conversation with me.

As for the list thanks I guess. Regardless, as for my suggested themes the mirror dimension was actually referring to H.P Lovecrafts Cthulhu's dimension. I edited my post. And the Evil Dead was a to take inspiration from the Evil Dead franchise i.e. making something as bloody/evil as possible.

Boogey monsters and Voodoo Creatures - you name it.
It's rather arrogant to infer that you know what people meant hence why I avoided it in the fist place. For instance I didn't mean any "voodoo creatures". But rather muddy/stench/moss swamp monsters. But I agree that in order to better choose a theme, a description is needed when the name itself isn't self-explanatory.

Level 30
Oh don't be trying to make me a villain. It's not arrogant of me to assume what people meant - it was your job as the theme host to determine the specifics about each and every theme and detail. You absolutely can't blame me for trying to finish what you were supposed to be doing in the first place.

I was not being arrogant - I was being insightful towards other people. There's a fine line. Such one is right in between the two of us, as a matter of fact.

With that being said, I'm afraid it's my time to leave.

Level 35
No need to add them now Archian, kinda late. But how did you miss them? They are on the list in the thread suggestions. But oh well.

Oh don't be trying to make me a villain. It's not arrogant of me to assume what people meant - it was your job as the theme host to determine the specifics about each and every theme and detail. You absolutely can't blame me for trying to finish what you were supposed to be doing in the first place.

I was not being arrogant - I was being insightful towards other people. There's a fine line. Such one is right in between the two of us, as a matter of fact.

With that being said, I'm afraid it's my time to leave.

Yep, just the fact that your interpretation wasn't what Archian had in mind with his suggestion about Mirror, just goes to show how important an explanation of the theme names are. Nice job with the list, although I hope it won't be the last on Hive from you :sad:

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
The poll was already running late, so I think I rushed it a bit to get it up. Probably missed your suggestion in the process. Sorry about that @RED BARON :(

I'll be sure to make guidelines for the next theme discussion to avoid simillar confusion and mistakes. Perhaps limit the number of suggestions per user or atleast have a clear description of each theme and include it in the final poll.

Anyway, there are still a few days left to vote :)

Level 35
The poll was already running late, so I think I rushed it a bit to get it up. Probably missed your suggestion in the process. Sorry about that @RED BARON :(

I'll be sure to make guidelines for the next theme discussion to avoid simillar confusion and mistakes. Perhaps limit the number of suggestions per user or atleast have a clear description of each theme and include it in the final poll.

Anyway, there are still a few days left to vote :)

No worries as said :smile: There will always be another time, and given that I am fairly busy at this time, it might fit be perfectly that a theme I wanted aren't on for the next contest :grin:

Level 25
I think you mixed up the two zones. Drustvar is the dark forest with witches and wicker monsters while Nazmir is the swamp with the blood trolls. I don't see the point of arguing though, the Swamp Dwellers theme is broad enough that you're not obligated to base it from something from WoW.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Alright with 34,6% of the votes, the theme of the 28th Texturing Contest will be: Swamp Dwellers!

Contestants are to create a skin representing a swamp dweller, basically a creature that lives in a an area of muddy or flooded grounds (a morass, bog or marsh) using the in-game Warcraft 3 unit models or a custom-made model found on the site.

Expect the contest to begin within a few days.

swampdwellers.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.