• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Next modelling contest

Status
Not open for further replies.
lAlso, someone said they wouldn't get approved in the model section. Erm...So? I mean, the model section approval rules are severely flawed in my opinion. I mean seriously, not approving a soldier or something because it is 1500polys? That's bull. For heaven's sake. We act like everyone here has the most crappy computers on the planet.

Kinda off-topic, but the poly count guidelines are there because of WC3, not because of peoples' computers. Simply put, if there are too many polies on-screen at one time, WC3 will flip out and start drawing polies all over the place and make a huge mess.

Level 3
Yeha ive had that in extreme LOTR Builder matches, But ihigh polysd are good for rpgs, Very Detailed and you dont oftenget mass units.

Level 31
Kinda off-topic, but the poly count guidelines are there because of WC3, not because of peoples' computers. Simply put, if there are too many polies on-screen at one time, WC3 will flip out and start drawing polies all over the place and make a huge mess.

Are you serious? D: WC3 has a poly limit?

K, well now that that is not an option, I vote for buildings. (Mostly because that is the only type I would ever join. lol)

Level 31
Still, being as how the tower model for daleran or whatever, is 17000 polys, I think we could not make it to where we resent every freaking model that has a poly count of 2000. lol Or a particle count of like 200. Heck, 500 particles really isn't that bad. At all.

This being said, a high quality WC3 model contest would be cool. But, being as how, I love making buildings, I guess that altars would be fine.

Level 18
I might join a modelling contest if it would be high-poly. I just a perfectionist, so it's hard for me to make something I'm satisfied with when it's low-poly xD
Buildings seem like a nice idea, since people usually think of units what talking about modelling.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Hey, let's not fight. It's kind of silly to fight over the theme to a contest on a site dedicated to the modding of a game on it's last legs.

... Woah, that was emo. :p

~~~

Let's just make it a poll, instead of yelling at each other. Put "Altars" and "Doodad Pack", along with the other ideas that were suggested.

Level 18
I'm completely with Elenai on this one:
1) There are more then enough doodads already
2) Doodads will cause a load of people to participate, spam the contest thread and the rest of the forum with questions, and in the end half of them will quit and the other half will submit a gray box, claiming it's a disguised toaster!
3) Doodads are made way too quick, causing (just like said in my 2nd point) too many crappy submissions, because everyone will think it's a walk in the park.

2) Doodads will cause a load of people to participate, spam the contest thread and the rest of the forum with questions, and in the end half of them will quit and the other half will submit a gray box, claiming it's a disguised toaster!
3) Doodads are made way too quick, causing (just like said in my 2nd point) too many crappy submissions, because everyone will think it's a walk in the park.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/f353/modeling-competition-5-poll-39888/

And we had nine entries, none of which were low-quality at all.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/f353/modeling-competition-5-poll-39888/

And we had nine entries, none of which were low-quality at all.
Exactly. It was a great success; but we've already done it. I am of the opinion that we should never have to re-do a certain Contest theme unless we're desperate. As it stands now, we've got plenty of different ideas that people would be willing to do.

It worked, but I don't think many of us want to see a re-do of a contest like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.