• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Newer Patches Reduce Matrix Limit

Status
Not open for further replies.
I debugged this for a while and I don't think anybody else should be stuck on the same issue, so I want to get the word out. The limit to the number of matrices in Warcraft 3 has been reduced from 256 down to 255.

Also, multiple incorrect statements were made in this video. Most importantly, the MDX binary format uses 8 bits to represent the Vertex Group as an index into the list of Matrices ("Groups" in the MDL text that I showed) and so this index is not capable of being 256 to refer to the 257th group. The concept does not even make sense in the MDX binary. As such, my claim that "the author of this model I was given also conducted a similar experiment" is actually a naive assumption on my part. That model author may have understood the binary, and simply KNOWN from clearer thinking that it was impossible to make a model specifying use of the 257th matrix group, given the available number of bits.

Status
Not open for further replies.