• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

difference between .mdl and .mdx?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
guys, I have a plan to start learning about modeling :thumbs_up:
what can I do is just changing model's textures.. :mwahaha:

nah, now I have a simple question, sometimes I confused, to save my model with .mdl or .mdx (I use magos model editor). My question is, what's the difference between them both?

answer
About MDL vs. MDX. MDL is a human-readable format for models, and it is a text format. MDX is binary. You can easily convert between MDL and MDX using tools on the site. As such, there can be two models: one mdl and one mdx, that look exactly the same, but they will be written differently.

The MDL is always a higher file size--it is uncompressed, and suffers several extra bytes in order to be human-readable. MDX is binary and takes up only a certain amount of bytes per field. As such, those two models usually have drastically different file sizes.

Just use the MDX format for your models. The MDL format is useful for some programs--such as Oinkerwinkle's--which require you to input an MDL rather than an MDX. Apart from that, you'll usually just use MDX.

Last edited:
About MDL vs. MDX. MDL is a human-readable format for models, and it is a text format. MDX is binary. You can easily convert between MDL and MDX using tools on the site. As such, there can be two models: one mdl and one mdx, that look exactly the same, but they will be written differently.

The MDL is always a higher file size--it is uncompressed, and suffers several extra bytes in order to be human-readable. MDX is binary and takes up only a certain amount of bytes per field. As such, those two models usually have drastically different file sizes.

Just use the MDX format for your models. The MDL format is useful for some programs--such as Oinkerwinkle's--which require you to input an MDL rather than an MDX. Apart from that, you'll usually just use MDX.

Status
Not open for further replies.