• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

New dota on source engine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
The real question is, who was the better designer during their time? Guinsoos or IceFrog?

League of Legends has a few gameplay problems and nothing really exciting to offer (RUNE SYSTEM IS WTF SUCKAGE I CANNOT EVEN EXPLAIN IT USING HUMAN SPEECH!)
Masteries aren't that interesting either. I feel like they are just simply trying to attract WoW fans.

Heroes of Newerth inherited everything bad about DotA. Its fanbase, early/lategame hero setup, and it's even less balanced then DotA (although I have to say DotA is the most balanced AoS out there, but it's just a 1 man project).

Demigod was a failure and I don't even have to play it to know that. So will it present some new exciting features that encourage skill and teamwork, or will it present plain old DotA rehashed. HoN took a very bland approach to the game. League of Legends took an overly fantasy approach. Will they find a happy medium of crazy twisted world and something you can relate to?

Level 14
Demigod is the worst game I have ever played... Nothing like DotA...

facepalm.jpg

Level 18
NO,NO,NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not half life 2 please ruin halo or some other shity game but not HALF-LIFE 2 I dont want to lose another game to those FlAGS!!! They allready killed warcraft 3,can the start kiling bad games like halo :sad::cry::necry:

Level 25
NO,NO,NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not half life 2 please ruin halo or some other shity game but not HALF-LIFE 2 I dont want to lose another game to those FlAGS!!! They allready killed warcraft 3,can the start kiling bad games like halo :sad::cry::necry:

Dude, they won't make Half-Life 2 into Dota..
They will make a new game with the Half-life 2 Engine (Source), think about it as...

Team Fortress 2 and Half-Life 2, same developer, almost nothing in common.
Now.. If dota:source would be first person.. :thumbs_up:

Level 18
Dude, they won't make Half-Life 2 into Dota..
They will make a new game with the Half-life 2 Engine (Source), think about it as...

Team Fortress 2 and Half-Life 2, same developer, almost nothing in common.
Now.. If dota:source would be first person.. :thumbs_up:

No ii'm talking that the game would die like warcraft did,i mean no one plays meles anymore...

Level 13
No ii'm talking that the game would die like warcraft did,i mean no one plays meles anymore...

/Facepalm.
It's going to a whole other DIFFERENT GAME which you have to buy seperately! You won't need Half-Life 2 to play so it won't kill HL 2. The only thing they have in common is the engine.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

It'll probably be somewhat like HoN, naturally, as that's the closest to DotA we have at the moment. It won't be DotA with too much change, just look at League of Legends (or Demigod). As for who's the better designer; we have already seen Guinsoo make his own version, that's LoL, now let's see how well IceFrog does with more resources and less restraint.

As for it being Valve and not some other company, well.. Valve has a lot of competitive games, so it makes sense that they take on another competitive concept, on the other hand, they mainly make FPS (as far as I know), and DotA isn't suited to be FPS (you pretty much loose the awareness and other advantages 3rd Person Overhead view has), in my opinion. It would become a whole different game. Hence I think IceFrog would ahve to aim a lot in the direction of HoN, and in order to succeed with that, he needs to do something particularly great, as HoN is already a great game and resembles DotA well.

Level 15

Let's just ignore the fact that Half Life 2 has a community x10 bigger than Warcraft 3... A DotA mod for HL2 wouldn't even put a noticeable dent in the online community. But all of that is completely irrelevant because he's making a DotA game using the source engine, not a mod.

So please, just calm down and get your facts straight before you start saying crap like that.

Level 25
Yet another reason why Half-Life 2: Episode 3 will never release. Good job IceFrog...

Although it is pretty insane that a big company in the industry like VALVe would step in. I'm actually surprised that Blizzard Entertainment hasn't tried this by now.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

HoN is EXTREMELY unbalanced. So I wouldn't declare that game king just yet. Supposedly LoL or Demigod shit all over it, from what I've heard.

Demigod is a crap game.. it's not like the others. It's RTS for people who can't control so many units at once. DotA, HoN and LoL are WAY more than that.

Level 4
Nearly every remake of a classic game/book/movie/event is a clash of disappointing and unviable factors forming a caricature of the original appearance.

But noone told me yet:
What happens if the original appearance already is a caricature of a game?

Hmm... what great philosophy in just 33 words. Did you sign in Medivh's Tower yet?

Level 30
Left it after a few weeks. /offtopic

After all, these "professional" game makers should know better.
I'd actually be surprised if it turns out a success compareable with the DotA modification.

Graphical evidences for the praised "superior gameplay" are generally not bringing the essential part of the playing userbase to the new project.
They'll skip back, right to the original modification which is the Defense of the Ancients map.

It's quite like a rite nowadays. In my opinion, there is no other, even nearly matching, explanation for the still lasting success of this "old" map and corresponding game.

Reviving it at another place while the original is still alive is a pure waste of money and time, just as well as creative possibilities and powers.

Level 4
OK, I have officially played DG, DotA, HoN, LoL and the SURE winner is....

D O T A!

Because, you cannot mod a mod and make it better, except adding new versions. I hope this new DotA will be at least similiar to WC3 version.

Level 25
They would be wasting their money and time if they decided to change the gameplay. I think it's more of a graphical improvement that will be distributed as a stand-alone game that we'll have to actually pay for. Those of us who know about DotA pretty much have free access to DotA on WarCraft III, so I don't see a complete purpose of paying like 50 bucks (guessing that'll be the price) for a game that I sort of already own.

But then again, the DotA community is completely noobish and so it is likely they'll all purchase the Source version of DotA.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

They would be wasting their money and time if they decided to change the gameplay. I think it's more of a graphical improvement that will be distributed as a stand-alone game that we'll have to actually pay for. Those of us who know about DotA pretty much have free access to DotA on WarCraft III, so I don't see a complete purpose of paying like 50 bucks (guessing that'll be the price) for a game that I sort of already own.

But then again, the DotA community is completely noobish and so it is likely they'll all purchase the Source version of DotA.

Graphical advantage is only a small part of the benefit in making DotA a separate game. Match-making, stats-tracking, generally getting less lags (WC3 is single-threaded for one).. there's a bunch of advantages, and I really hope IceFrog will use it. The major difference is the nearly limitless ability to expand on the concept, though.

I don't know what you put in 'noobish', but I can't see the stupid part about buying a game to support the producer. The DotA community is great from my point of view.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

I am sick of anything related to Half-Life that has "Source" in its name. Why the heck almost every HL mod has it?!
Perhaps it's because it uses Source engine? .. furthermore, a lot of Half-Life Mods were made before Half-Life 2, and therefore the versions called 'Source' has to do with the fact it's made for the Source engine rather than GoldSrc - instead of calling it Counter-Strike 2, it's Counter-Strike : Source, it the same game on a different game engine.

Level 27
I heard one guy made RTS out of HL so its really possible. I just hpe they will make it modern warfare of futuristic styled since Valve has more experience with it... have they ever made fantasy game ever?
Or at least they should make Defence of a Freeman, Team of Ancients 2 (Staring scout's mom), Aperture AoS or maybe just Defence of a Pegle... but I want Defence of Gmod...

look, its my 666 post!

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Seriously, get through your head that this is NOT A MOD, it is a stand-alone game. There is NO DOUBT that it is completely possible to make DotA with the Source engine.

As for your ideas, that would TOTALLY kill the concept.. heck, defence of Freeman, then one team is Freemen and the other is all his enemies? Woah, look how awesomely justified, check it out, Freeman has Storm Bolt!!!11111one .. seriously, they're making DotA, not a damn FPS MOBA (ie UT3 Warfare) -- at least that's what I expect, anything else would be plain stupid.

Level 4
Maybe HL is Punk Fantasy. You know, like, not real, but with creatures that look like they came out of some shitted headbang. Wait, no, that's Zeno Clash I am talking about.
Back to topic: Yeah, I know there is HL RTS, Half-Life Wars. So, it's possible to make DotA in HL. But, HOW MANY TIMES I HAVE TO SAY THIS: IT'S NOT A MOD FOR HL, IT'S A STANDALONE GAME THAT USES SOURCE ENGINE!

Level 23
Personally I see no way he could make something similar to DotA with Valve.
DotA and the whole Aeon of Strife style was made and thus belongs to Blizzard.

If they would do something of the sort, Blizzard can sew them.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Personally I see no way he could make something similar to DotA with Valve.
DotA and the whole Aeon of Strife style was made and thus belongs to Blizzard.

If they would do something of the sort, Blizzard can sew them.

Tell me then, why Blizzard hasn't sued Riot Games (League of Legends) or S2Games (Heroes of Newerth)? Not to mention Stardock or Gas Powered Games (Demigod)? Even though the whole AoS concept was developed with SC and WC doesn't mean Blizzard owns the right to the concept. That's like saying that the first company that made an RTS game can sue everyone that made an RTS after them 'cause they made the concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.