• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Dota 2 - Reborn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Dota 2 - Reborn

reborn_beta_day1.png

Today we are announcing the Dota 2 Reborn beta, which brings with it a new interface, new engine, and Custom Games. Everything in the dashboard has been redesigned utilizing a new UI framework and the engine that powers the game has been fully replaced. On this page we will be giving you a preview of the new interface. Early next week we'll be talking about Custom Games, and later that week we'll conclude with various details about the new engine and launch the open beta.

Throughout the beta we’ll be releasing frequent updates in order to fix bugs and make changes based on the feedback you provide. As you browse around in the new client, you’ll notice a few things that aren’t fully functional yet. Additionally, our focus has been on the dashboard so you’ll find the in-game HUD currently looks the same.

We want you to help us during the beta with your suggestions and bug reports. Our intention is to keep gameplay and heroes looking and feeling the same, so if you find anything unexpected please let us know. We’ll be bringing the update out of beta some time after The International to ensure we have enough time to respond to all of your feedback.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Maybe it's just because I don't play a lot of games, but I see some Blizzardish feel to the new interface.

I'm not sure whether the game needed a whole revamp. If it makes the interface less sluggish and easier to use though, I'm in for it.

Curious about the custom games too, of course.

Level 3
Maybe it's just because I don't play a lot of games, but I see some Blizzardish feel to the new interface.

I'm not sure whether the game needed a whole revamp. If it makes the interface less sluggish and easier to use though, I'm in for it.

Curious about the custom games too, of course.

Super curious about this too!

It looks like the Dota 2 Workshop Tools Alpha is using QT, which is pretty cool! I'm not sure about the "game" interface, but I would not be surprised since it works so good cross platforms,
A total revamp of the UI might be needed to set expectations for old/new users; where the old UI-design with new software might not behave like the old - read: bugs :)
Similar updates were made to the CS:GO UI when it was released, and it might have been easier to redesign everything rather than porting it,

Might also been a decision to remake it to reduce/eliminate UI elements breaking due to screen resolution etc, I've been having issues with the news/workshop/item browser-section in the Dota 2 client on low(er) resolutions, using QT will hopefully make it "responsive" (can't say anything about this new client - but it's the experience I have from other apps using QT)

Might also be a general step of making it more Steam- VR/Controller/Link friendly,

But I'm only guessing :)

Level 25
I'm extremely excited about the custom games UI.

They've learnt from Blizzard's mistake with the SC2 arcade, and they hope to solve the stale map pool caused by the popularity system by having a 30-minute rotation on "trending" maps, so it will be much easier to get a full game in a new map. This was all but impossible on SC2, as maps were listed based on popularity, so 90% of players just played the top 10 maps.

Not so excited about:
- Still no editor like our trusty old W3 WorldEdit, so it'll be a bit harder to get into this.
- Haven't heard anything about a >10 player limit. I hope they implement this, as well as player drop-in functionality.

Status
Not open for further replies.