• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

My Map! Looking for help/suggestions and feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Howdy! This is my current project and I would like to make this thread in order to share the progress with you guys and get some feedback about thins that I could be doing wrong/missing/leaking, etc.
The project is a DotA-like map, with heroes and hero waves.

For now, I have some basic questions.

First one:

I made a trigger for first blood, like this:

firstblood.png

Pretty simple. Unit dies, condition is that unit equal hero, show msg and turn off trigger. This sould be it right?

On a second note, I'm working on creeps. Currently, with bounties activated, give gold but only if the Hero gets the killing blow. Is there a way to activate some kind of shared bounty?

Thanks a lot in advance!!

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
That works, but it will display First Blood regardless of who killed the unit. So if the Hero dies to a Tower -> First Blood plays.

The best thing to do is trigger your own bounty system. This way you have full control of everything. A unit dies -> Calculate the bounty -> Add X gold to owner of killing unit.

If you want to share the bounty then you'll have full control over that.

Same goes for Experience.

Last edited:
Level 1
Thanks a lot! I though off that posibility, but I cant figure out how to rule out the tower kill. Maybe condition - kiling unit is a hero could be?

On the second subjetc, experience isnt shared by default?

The trigger you describe isnt the same? Just giving gols to the owner of killing unit?

What could be the option to share the reward?

Level 12
By the looks of your first trigger you posted here I highly suggest going trough the GUI tutorials in this site.

Trigger (GUI) Editor Tutorials

There are already at lest 3 basic and useful things for you to learn beneath Uncles post highlighted in green text.

It is much better to first learn about events, actions and conditions before getting started.

OR if you have any experience in coding languages I suggest you start doing your map with the available modern codes such as LUA, C and Typescript.

Level 20

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
Thanks a lot! I though off that posibility, but I cant figure out how to rule out the tower kill. Maybe condition - kiling unit is a hero could be?

On the second subjetc, experience isnt shared by default?

The trigger you describe isnt the same? Just giving gols to the owner of killing unit?

What could be the option to share the reward?
First Blood:
Yeah, that Condition could work, but then say a Player's summoned unit gets the killing blow. It's probably better to just exclude Computer players in the Conditions.

Gold:
If you're triggering it yourself then you'd want to have some Integer Variable like GoldBounty which you could do anything with.

For example, if you wanted to divide the Gold amongst the killing player's team you could do something like this:
- Store your Players in Player Groups, so you divide them up into Teams.
- When a unit dies, Set GoldBounty to the total gold given, then Divide it by the number of Players in the Killing Player's Team.
- Then Pick every player in Killing Player's Team -> Add a fraction of GoldBounty to the Picked player.

I only mention Experience because it's another system that is handled when a unit dies. Maybe you want one Hero to not gain experience? Maybe you want some heroes to gain more experience? These are all options if you design the system yourself and avoid using Blizzard's limited system. The point is, you'll always have more control if you do it yourself.

But this can be more advanced for someone new to mapmaking. Reading some of those tutorials MasterBlaster linked and sticking to what you're comfortable with seems like the best course of action.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.