• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.
lolcomic+thing.jpg

Level 7
Dangit, you guys have got me hooked on it now! :xxd: I first watched the episode involving Rainbow Dash and her griffon friend as a means of introduction, and I stuck around to watch one or two more afterwards. There's just something appealing about that show that I can't quite put my finger on. Maybe it's the fact they've actually made My Little Pony watchable...
Anyways, I guess I should thank you guys for introducing me to it, but I'm off to go watch another episo-- Er, I mean, thanks. :wink: Why I'm thanking you, I have no idea...

Maybe it's the same sentimental appreciation a drug addict has for his drug dealer. Crap. I'd better stop.

Level 10
Dangit, you guys have got me hooked on it now! :xxd: I first watched the episode involving Rainbow Dash and her griffon friend as a means of introduction, and I stuck around to watch one or two more afterwards. There's just something appealing about that show that I can't quite put my finger on. Maybe it's the fact they've actually made My Little Pony watchable...
Anyways, I guess I should thank you guys for introducing me to it, but I'm off to go watch another episo-- Er, I mean, thanks. :wink: Why I'm thanking you, I have no idea...

Maybe it's the same sentimental appreciation a drug addict has for his drug dealer. Crap. I'd better stop.

It just is charming, and a lot of things besides that. IT ACTUALLY HAS A PLOT, AND THE CHARACTERS HAVE PERSONALITY AS WELL.

Level 7

I have to agree. After scanning through some of the older My Little Pony shows, I could not help but admit the old characters looked terribly bland, and the plot... much less than interesting. (The new Apple Jack rocks!) Still, it does come as a source of intrigue how this show is most popular with middle-aged males. :xxd:

Level 26
its popular with males because boys tend to watch cartoons more just in general. all cartoons. cartoons were created for boys. girls are too busy watching the home cooking channel with their moms or having tea parties.

The reason why the male demographic is older though, is because younger boys think that MLP is "girly" and "icky" and all that juvenile jazz. Whereas while MLP was made for girls, older dudes tend to have outgrown that "overly defensive about being gay" stigma, and can just enjoy the show for what it is.

girls are too busy watching the home cooking channel with their moms or having tea parties.

[reaction=http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1619596/Misc/ponies/reactions/1298224430204.png]See, now that's exactly the kind of stigma MLP:FiM is trying to avoid. Look at all the "girls" toys out there. The majority of them are either pink, tacky, or both, because the companies assume you can make that sort of stuff and the girls will still buy it because "they don't care". The truth is that they sell just because the girls don't have any other options.

Previous MLP generations did this same thing. Don't quote me on this, but from what I know, they were basically girl toys in cartoon form - pink, not much quality or thought put into it, and the only thing making one pony different from another was a name, buttmark, and color. NONE of them had any sort of personality besides maybe "this one likes X".

This is also probably why previous MLP gens were basically a big joke to anyone who wasn't a little girl or rabid collector - they were oversaturated with generic girly stuff. And hell, most girls weren't even into half the things they did - have shit like tea parties, hide and seek games, tea parties, someone getting lost in some forest, and oh have I mentioned tea parties?

That's one of the reasons why FiM is doing so well - each of the main 6 has an individual personality so different types of girls can more easily associate themselves. You get tomboys, nerds, perpetual-sugar-rush-ers, animal lovers, I-want-to-be-like-my-moms, ...whatever applejack represents (hard worker? I don't know), etc. And the series actually has PLOT! With no tea parties so far!
No the one at the end of stare master doesn't count

Honestly, the only really girly things about this show is the fact that all the main characters are female, and the theme song. That's it. You could easily replace some of the mane cast with males and the show would still be pretty damn similar.

This, gentlemen, is why Lauren Faust is a fucking genius.

Oh, and hasbro, for a huge toy company you really suck at making decent toys
[/reaction]

Level 7
Very good seminar on the dynamics of marketing technique and conceptual timbre, Mr. Pyritie :wink:
In all honesty, though, I am in full agreement with all the points you listed there. When one looks at the previous My Little Pony installments, one must surely notice the fact that there was hardly any variation at all, as you have said. Still, credit towards Hasbro is due in that regard for managing to still attract such a large audience to support the toy franchise. One thing that I find well-designed about MLP:FIM, though, is the message it delivers through the different personalities. It's almost as if it's encouraging us, not to conform to some uniform standard, but to be ourselves and be different, which is what kids need to do these days. Way too much conformity is happening, and it's shows like these that remind us of true social value. Anyways, enough of my nonsensic rambling.

I can sum all of what I said up into this:
Old My Little Pony... I TROLL U!
trollface.png

Level 11
[reaction=http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1619596/Misc/ponies/reactions/1298224430204.png]See, now that's exactly the kind of stigma MLP:FiM is trying to avoid. Look at all the "girls" toys out there. The majority of them are either pink, tacky, or both, because the companies assume you can make that sort of stuff and the girls will still buy it because "they don't care". The truth is that they sell just because the girls don't have any other options.

Previous MLP generations did this same thing. Don't quote me on this, but from what I know, they were basically girl toys in cartoon form - pink, not much quality or thought put into it, and the only thing making one pony different from another was a name, buttmark, and color. NONE of them had any sort of personality besides maybe "this one likes X".

This is also probably why previous MLP gens were basically a big joke to anyone who wasn't a little girl or rabid collector - they were oversaturated with generic girly stuff. And hell, most girls weren't even into half the things they did - have shit like tea parties, hide and seek games, tea parties, someone getting lost in some forest, and oh have I mentioned tea parties?

That's one of the reasons why FiM is doing so well - each of the main 6 has an individual personality so different types of girls can more easily associate themselves. You get tomboys, nerds, perpetual-sugar-rush-ers, animal lovers, I-want-to-be-like-my-moms, ...whatever applejack represents (hard worker? I don't know), etc. And the series actually has PLOT! With no tea parties so far!

Honestly, the only really girly things about this show is the fact that all the main characters are female, and the theme song. That's it. You could easily replace some of the mane cast with males and the show would still be pretty damn similar.

[/reaction]

Hey, hey.

Speaking of gender-specefic colours; Did you know that blue was the girl colour and pink was the boy colour at the early 1900's?

Level 10

[/reaction]

Yup about that Hasbro part. Actually, only toys company that i like is Lego, cause... It's fucking lego. BUUUT, that is going way off-topic.

EDIT: BTW you know why Lauren Faust is that good at writing? Because she's called Faust, and we all know that German Legend protagonist...

Last edited:
You guys and your parents must be really proud of your mental maturity and overall development.

[reaction="http://www.deviantart.com/download/78883230/SRS_BUSINESS_GAIS_by_Booter_Freak.jpg"]Dio's here for srs bsns[/reaction]

But honestly, wouldn't it be more mature to admit that you enjoy that sort of thing then hide it (assuming the person in question does)?

Level 7
You guys and your parents must be really proud of your mental maturity and overall development.

Indeed. Our ability to publicly accept something viewed as the paradigm of childish traits that would be humiliating to some as something worth embracing because of the social value it has is indeed a feat worthy of recognition. Especially such noble recognition from one such as you, Dionesiist. So glad you noticed. :thumbs_up: Oh, and lovely use of sarcasm, too.

Level 21
friendship_is_magic_by_braindeadmareep-d3a9f8h.png

Here is a good pic of a Pontya and the new deer lighting Pokemon.
Oh and that sounds great man.
I seen the one episode and I never raged at all, which is a good thing. LOL....

Level 21
*Facepalm*
Why the hell can't I tell Pokemon apart?
MEH...
I think I should play it again and could you give me a link to the episode?

Level 23

They couldn't strain themselves now could they? Like it though:>

Edit: And also if you can't wait for a HD version:
Edit2: Linked those HD on the channel Py mentioned below:

Last edited:
Level 21
Its a ok episode by far, and I'll be sure to watch some more episodes and see what I think about them.
I can just imagine the Diamond Dogs saying my precious to all those games. LOL....

Level 7
Whoa, allow me to attempt to set one thing straight: is Spike crushing on Rarity? If so, then even I have to be one to admit: that is pretty darn creepy. Not only because of their difference in maturity, but also because... well... a dragon and a pony?

Level 10
Whoa, allow me to attempt to set one thing straight: is Spike crushing on Rarity? If so, then even I have to be one to admit: that is pretty darn creepy. Not only because of their difference in maturity, but also because... well... a dragon and a pony?

I don't see why really. Rarity is supposed to be the prettiest of them all (For me, it's Fluttershy cause of the eyes, but whatever ^^) and well... It's a cartoon, I can't explain, but it's alright to me.

Level 7
Well, I'll admit, it's... Well, for lack of a better term, sweet, I guess. And it is merely a cartoon, and I don't see anything wrong with it. Just a surprise, I guess. That, and I thought Spike would've gone for someone less... stuck-up. Really, I thought if there was going to be a Spike pairing, it would be with Twilight.

Level 21
I give you the new creature; Dragonoy! The name would be Spirity!
Would be weird as hell.

Bitch and complain and get what you want. What a nice lesson for the kids. LOL...

Status
Not open for further replies.