• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

My First Icon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright. Here, I've made my first icon using MS Paint.
Now before you start saying 'omfg u shudnt use paint', I have reasons on why I couldn't use anything better than that.

Now, I ask for an expert's opinion on the icon, and hopefully improve it because I will use it in one of my maps.

It's supposed to be an uppercut with two red force lines sticking out of it.
Now please, I'd like some comments, suggestions (Other than using other image editing programs), and of course, your own version of the icon.

Here it is, be prepared to go blind!

Attachments

• HandToHand.png
    HandToHand.png
    4 KB · Views: 519
Hmm.
It's because I don't know to how to use Photoshop, and I don't have creativity to make what I want, also because I don't have Photoshop at the moment.
I'm currently making a small map, and I want all of my icons to be red-themed. It would look boring if it was just a hand attacking upwards and stuff. So I decided to use my Pain skills to do the trick. It turned out baaad.

Level 20
Hmm.
It's because I don't know to how to use Photoshop, and I don't have creativity to make what I want, also because I don't have Photoshop at the moment.
I'm currently making a small map, and I want all of my icons to be red-themed. It would look boring if it was just a hand attacking upwards and stuff. So I decided to use my Pain skills to do the trick. It turned out baaad.

Well you either download and install GIMP then and try to learn it or just quit trying to make your icons because you cant just make crappy icons and use Paint as an excuse. GIMP is in a way or another similiar to photoshop except that it is free.

Level 17
I really don't know what to say at this :/
If 2D Art is not your thing I would highly advise reading this section of the Hive.

P.S Get Gimp. NAO!

Level 49
omfg u shudnt use paint.
Yeah lol, even Leonardo da Vinci's painting would be bad when painted using Paint.

Belive me, i can make icons in MS Paint that other people not able make in photoshop.

Also, around advises.

1. Draw on bigger size, around 600*600 is enough for icon creating
2. If you have skills around drawing IRL, so, u will be able draw with same quality at PC, but anyway need expirience.
3. When icon become converted on 64*64 size 80% of quality goes to nowhere, ur mission create colorfull and recognizable expression of icon, or, if u making a object, so, make it recognizable as object with some sweet decorations etc.

That icon can be easy (10 min) reworked into some sweet stuff. Try ur skills.

Level 14
Belive me, i can make icons in MS Paint that other people not able make in photoshop.

Also, around advises.

2. If you have skills around drawing IRL, so, u will be able draw with same quality at PC, but anyway need expirience.
3. When icon become converted on 64*64 size 80% of quality goes to nowhere, ur mission create colorfull and recognizable expression of icon, or, if u making a object, so, make it recognizable as object with some sweet decorations etc.

OMFG You are the best icon maker, you should be a national artist!

Also, around advises.

Could you show me an example of how my crappy icon can be made into sweet stuff please?

Level 48
Was:
103070d1308581483-my-first-icon-handtohand.png

and two editions, one in photoshop and one in MS Paint.

Also, its far from best i can. :)

What a spam of colors. It's really hard to see what the hell is supposed to be going on in the icon... Extremely unclear.

Lol, artist is useless when his work looks like ur avatar, rly.
Oh no. You fucking. DIDN'T.

You insult Mr.Goblin one more time, and I swear to god I'm going to find you and slap you. With a giant truck.

Level 49
What a spam of colors. It's really hard to see what the hell is supposed to be going on in the icon... Extremely unclear.

Oh no. You fucking. DIDN'T.

You insult Mr.Goblin one more time, and I swear to god I'm going to find you and slap you. With a giant truck.

for sure better say that artist is useless if he cannot work without tools and filters only by brush, but prefer make u angry, kid :)

for sure better say that artist is useless if he cannot work without tools and filters only by brush, but prefer make u angry, kid :)

I see your point, and that,s the thing, I didn't used any filters or special tool for this one and I hardly do anyway...

Why this statement is so stupid, is because :

A) = You didn't knew who made that avatar
B) = You didn't knew how he did it
C) = You didn't knew when it was done
D) = You seem to be failing the most basic principal that ''tools, and filters'' in ANY drawing programs, are MENT to help the artist to WORK FASTER... it doesn't make stuff go pretty magically. It doesn't make an ugly drawing look pretty, it just creates SHORTCUTS for the artist that are using them, so he can focuss on other details/ have more TIME to draw other drawings.
C) = You think you're cool because you don't use any tools/filters... big deal! let me laugh at you for this = WE ALL CAN!

Wake up mate! You're far away to be the only artist of the hive, and you're still far away to be the best (point proven, I didn't say I was the best, don't get me wrong) and let's face it, the hive is a fun community... but even tough you're the best around here, we are nothing compared to the professional of this world... not yet and maybe never either..

Now, enjoy your day and shut your mouth when you have nothing smart to say....

Last edited:
I see your point, and that,s the thing, I didn't used any filters or special tool for this one and I hardly do anyway...

D) = You seem to failing the most basic principal that ''tools, and filters'' in ANY drawing program, and MENT to help the artist to WORK FASTER... it doesn't make stuff go pretty magically. It doesn't make an ugly drawing look pretty, it just creates SHORTCUTS for the artist that are using them, so he can focuss on other details/ have more TIME to draw other drawings.
C) = You think you're cool because you don't use any tools/filters... big deal! let me laugh at you for this = WE ALL CAN!

Wake up mate! You're far away to be the only artist of the hive, and you're still far away to be the best (point proven, I didn't say I was the best, don't get me wrong) and let's face it, the hive is a fun community... but even tough you're the best around here, we are nothing compared to the professional of this world... not yet and maybe never either..

You still hit my personal list's 1st place :3
Red is 2nd.

Level 49

D) = You seem to be failing the most basic principal that ''tools, and filters'' in ANY drawing programs, are MENT to help the artist to WORK FASTER... it doesn't make stuff go pretty magically. It doesn't make an ugly drawing look pretty, it just creates SHORTCUTS for the artist that are using them, so he can focuss on other details/ have more TIME to draw other drawings.

A) I don't care who made that avatar, it has realy bad quality.
B) I don't care how someone made that bad quality avatar.
C) Who cares? :) Not me for sure.
D) Work faster? Dude, before use tools u should know what result it will give you, and about speed - i'm far from sure about speed of that works. And pretiness. It's like use smooth or blur tools, u can always make better and faster by ur self.
C) We all can, so, that kid told me learn some tools - let he lern work without tools. :)

Best artist on hive is crazy russian, so? :) Best icon maker is CR too, best skin maker - red shift, best modeller - pyramidhead. So?

Also your agression make me laugh :) Keep ur aggro up, kid :)

A) I don't care who made that avatar, it has realy bad quality.
B) I don't care how someone made that bad quality avatar.
C) Who cares? :) Not me for sure.
D) Work faster? Dude, before use tools u should know what result it will give you, and about speed - i'm far from sure about speed of that works. And pretiness. It's like use smooth or blur tools, u can always make better and faster by ur self.
C) We all can, so, that kid told me learn some tools - let he lern work without tools. :)

Best artist on hive is crazy russian, so? :) Best icon maker is CR too, best skin maker - red shift, best modeller - pyramidhead. So?

Also your agression make me laugh :) Keep ur aggro up, kid :)

Well I'm sorry for you mate.... I wouldn't like to be you, life will hit you hard one day and you won't be prepared for that because arrogance will never get you far...

Level 49
Well I'm sorry for you mate.... I wouldn't like to be you, life will hit you hard one day and you won't be prepared for that because arrogance will never get you far...

compare age please and think about did life hitted me already. Anyway, i don't see reason for that dialog cuz you have no enough mind for keeping it up. Mostly cuz u have no any arguments for your words, and kidlike rageup make everyone laugh who'll read that thread.

compare age please and think about did life hitted me already. Anyway, i don't see reason for that dialog cuz you have no enough mind for keeping it up. Mostly cuz u have no any arguments for your words, and kidlike rageup make everyone laugh who'll read that thread.

There's two way I could have acted out =
1#: the way I did, which is finding a way to end this conversation as fast as possible and not actually putting gasoline on the fire, because our compromise have nothing to do with the origin and the reason of this thread creation. Which is the smartest thing to do because ''trolling and flamming'' someone is utterly stupid.... and doesn't get us anywhere. Not only is it against the rule, but it is actually utterly stupid and primal to be flamming for the sake of flamming the other.

2#: get into your game and put gasoline on the fire, and to actually see you being even more disrespectful and arrogant against an other member of this forum. Which is the dupest thing to do ever...

It's not the fact that I'm missing arguments, it's that fact that you are blinded by your own ''awesomeness''. And because of that: arguments or not, you won't even read and consider what I would have told you because you are ''obviously to awesome''.

So in respond with #2, that conversation would never end, because you'd be flamming, and I'll be answering you back, but because you are blind: the flamming would have kept on going on and on..

compare age
You make me laugh! I owe no respect to older persons that are less mature than me... you lived longer! Point proven: you actually understood less than me in a longest run... Bravo mate!

Now.. there's nothing more to prove than what have been said already...
Have a nice day, and no I'm not going to answer you ever again.

Level 49
There's two way I could have acted out =
1#: the way I did, which is finding a way to end this conversation as fast as possible and not actually putting gasoline on the fire, because our compromise have nothing to do with the origin and the reason of this thread creation. Which is the smartest thing to do because ''trolling and flamming'' someone is utterly stupid.... and doesn't get us anywhere. Not only is it against the rule, but it is actually utterly stupid and primal to be flamming for the sake of flamming the other.
You starting offtopic when two other persons debate around actuality of using filters and tools, when one of them never painted anything and other is artist. So?
goblin said:
2#: get into your game and put gasoline on the fire, and to actually see you being even more disrespectful and arrogant against an other member of this forum. Which is the dupest thing to do ever...

It's not the fact that I'm missing arguments, it's that fact that you are blinded by your own ''awesomeness''. And because of that: arguments or not, you won't even read and consider what I would have told you because you are ''obviously to awesome''.
You blind if you keep that idea up. So, when two person debate around, for example, modelling when one of them modeller, and other - just a user of models. Who's truth in that debate? And if you think i blind, i can only become sad for your future, you blind by your subjectivism.

goblin said:
So in respond with #2, that conversation would never end, because you'd be flamming, and I'll be answering you back, but because you are blind: the flamming would have kept on going on and on..
You wrong, as before i explained why.

goblin said:
You make me laugh! I owe no respect to older persons that are less mature than me... you lived longer! Point proven: you actually understood less than me in a longest run... Bravo mate!
Im glad that you laughd. It's so fun when mindless people laughin on thier own thoughts.

goblin said:
Now.. there's nothing more to prove than what have been said already...
Have a nice day, and no I'm not going to answer you ever again.
Don't answer please, your remarks are argumentless and mindless, so, please keep em for urself. :)

There i want say you "Good bye"

Without offense, PeeKay.

Status
Not open for further replies.