• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

My first freehanded Icon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 31
Hello Guys,

I just started to draw my first freehand icon in GIMP.
I always was untalented in arts, but somehow I always liked to draw and paint.

I finally understand a little bit what shading and highlighting means, but I need much more practise.

So here it is:
A golden sword.
I'm quite happy about the blade, but the handle turned out not so good.

How do you like it?
What could be improved?
Is it worth to upload? Probably not :D.

Thanks for your attention.
chilla_killa

Attachments

• FirstIcon.jpg
    FirstIcon.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 3,441
Level 11
Imo much better than the first version.

For the handle, try straighter or at least sharper lines - it's metal after all. A good tip in general (that I usually do whenever I draw) is to Google the material and study it back and forth while drawing.

Try thinking of different ways to highlight along the sword rather than using the smudge tool. Which i can tell, you used a lot of. Also, Try to add a bit of texture. the methods of how you shade and highlight can be a huge supporting factor towards the texture of the part of the icon. For example, My icon (Tessen) was a paper fan. Using a bit of a scratchy, and a bit of messier lines along shading spots, gave it the impression of scratchy, old, parchment. An wood was given grooves and dark lines to give it a more realistic wood impression. So something like this, can turn into something more interesting when sizing down. (this)
This is what most new icon artists seem to look over and ignore, that it cant be a simple colour and highlight to look good. If you give the parts of the icon more texture and feeling, then the viewer gets a better impression upon exactly what it is.
But keep trying. Its a very good start. :)

~Dentothor

i am not using GIMP (i never did in fact) but i could give you many hints in photoshop. i use photoshop 6.0....i never made ICONS till now, but i have started giving it some tries. anyway you should take a look @ Hawkwing's Anti-noobism texturing tutorial (it's mainly about skins but the way to succes is the same in icons and skins) and here is the link: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2d-art-tutorials-281/anti-noobism-texturing-92402/

Status
Not open for further replies.