• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Music Contest #7 - Poll

On which of these entries will you vote?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 30
RIght right no need to murder me,i just think it could be better than that,something like a small player that exist in some forums,if i remember correctly all you had to do in them was ''[mp3]filelink[mp3]'' or ''[media]filelink[media]. and a little ''play'' button and a stop button would show up after.
@Naze It's a good suggestion.

Level 9
I know he has already been disqualified,but i just noticed from Forsakethis's ''proof screenshot''

If you look at the top the CPU and RAM usage is almost nothing,for a project which is using stuff such as LA Scoring Strings(Each instrument loaded up uses from 10 to 200 RAM,and there's a lot loaded there from LASS) and Olympus Symphonic Choirs(Mostly 500 RAM each instrument) not counting the percussion stuff thats probably in the 10-200 RAM as well.Probably would be at 4000 RAM usage or more if he actually had the stuff.
Which in the end means,not only is this song from 2014,its also not even his song.

Level 9
Not exactly,im not trying to throw more rocks at him,its just to show that there are more ways to find out if someones breaking the rules or posting something that isnt theirs with a screenshot,should have said that in my reply,i think its most required that we ask for a screenshot of the worksheet now.

Level 30
Not exactly,im not trying to throw more rocks at him,its just to show that there are more ways to find out if someones breaking the rules or posting something that isnt theirs with a screenshot,should have said that in my reply,i think its most required that we ask for a screenshot of the worksheet now.
I wouldn't assume the screenshot is fake just because no ram is being used. It could be a glitch in the software for instance.
What would be the point in showing us a screenshot with what I assume to be the correct midi data.

Level 22
I wouldn't assume the screenshot is fake just because no ram is being used. It could be a glitch in the software for instance.
What would be the point in showing us a screenshot with what I assume to be the correct midi data.

>Download open source piece from tutorial video on youtube from 2014
>Open up on your desktop
>Take screenshot
>Le
>Oops I forgot to change the internal date

Also screenshots of the worksheet are the last thing we need, these can be fabricated easily, the best proof of ownership is music recognition software and the uploader posting several WiPs (like myself and Devine did,) which are vastly different in their mixes, and arrangements from one to the next, for example my final piece is in a completely different time signature, completely different mixdown, and a somewhat different arrangement from my original WiP.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
the best proof of ownership is music recognition software and the uploader posting several WiPs
One can easily cut things out of the song or the song itself and call it a WiP. Thus for every WiP, screenshots of the worksheet are important.
for example my final piece is in a completely different time signature, completely different mixdown, and a somewhat different arrangement from my original WiP.
Mix of another person's :D?

It's not easy to detect these things. Luck was that guy was naive enough to not realize the date issue and shear luck that other one's original from which his was copied, was on the Shazam database.

Level 13
Plagiarism is a serious offence in the real world. A small community like this will pretty vulnerable to such a thing, because chances are there's not going to be enough of you raising suspicion. The only reason you did in this case was because the offender left pretty blatant evidence in his WiP. What would happen if he didn't? Would he get away with it?

Bigger communities (e.g. music, scientific, literary, creative) will always use software to check for plagiarism offences for submissions by default. Though i'm guessing the hive/contest host don't have access/don't utilize these tools?

Honestly, the best defense you guys have against situations like that is how well you know each other (e.g. deepstrasz - well known and talented, you'd expect something good from him, vs Forsakethis - basically a new profile) and how realistic an entry is (e.g. deepstrasz - a believable entry because although it's great, it's not perfect, vs Forsakethis too good to be true). You pretty much did this in the first instance, so just keep it up and move on :p

Level 22
One can easily cut things out of the song or the song itself and call it a WiP. Thus for every WiP, screenshots of the worksheet are important.

Mix of another person's :D?

It's not easy to detect these things. Luck was that guy was naive enough to not realize the date issue and shear luck that other one's original from which his was copied, was on the Shazam database.
How exactly can you cut things out of a song without having the project file, duurrrr. Sure you can make a song shorter in the wip and then post the full song as a final, that's not changing the arrangement and that's not what I said. Being able to change each individual instrument proves that you have access to the project file which is almost positive identification of ownership (unless in the case of open source projects.)

It's actually incredibly easy to spot this type of plagiarism because these people only plagiarize because they can't actually compose, they have no idea how to operate programs like FL or StudioOne and by extension no idea what someone looking for plagiarism would look for.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
How exactly can you cut things out of a song without having the project file, duurrrr.
You'd be surprised. However, it's not quite an easy process but yes, I was mostly referring to cutting whole parts of a song.
they have no idea how to operate programs like FL or StudioOne and by extension no idea what someone looking for plagiarism would look for.
Thieves know their stuff, make no mistake.

But again, sometimes you can just add things over a song (like Yaser did) and call it yours and it would be hard spotting the theft without knowing of that song or software like Shazam (assuming the song is in their database).

Level 17
Plagiarism is a serious offence in the real world. A small community like this will pretty vulnerable to such a thing, because chances are there's not going to be enough of you raising suspicion. The only reason you did in this case was because the offender left pretty blatant evidence in his WiP. What would happen if he didn't? Would he get away with it?

Bigger communities (e.g. music, scientific, literary, creative) will always use software to check for plagiarism offences for submissions by default. Though i'm guessing the hive/contest host don't have access/don't utilize these tools?

Honestly, the best defense you guys have against situations like that is how well you know each other (e.g. deepstrasz - well known and talented, you'd expect something good from him, vs Forsakethis - basically a new profile) and how realistic an entry is (e.g. deepstrasz - a believable entry because although it's great, it's not perfect, vs Forsakethis too good to be true). You pretty much did this in the first instance, so just keep it up and move on :p

I was actually suprised that foresakethis entry was plagarised since it doesn't sound like professional content :c

RESULTS!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.