• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Music Contest #7 - Poll

On which of these entries will you vote?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 28
the%20hive%20workshop.png

music.png
contest.png
number.png
7.png

poll.png

fantasy_environment_thumbnails_by_dkundzinsh-datdkq8.jpg

Art by Dkundzinsh

Participants are to create a song that depicts a place. It can be generic place, a biome, an actual existing place or a fictional location. Example themes: palace, swamp, dungeon, Azeroth, Stonehenge, My Little Pony Land, Vatican, "I-Just-Invented-This Forest", "Palace of Madness", etc, etc.

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• Each user can only vote once in the poll - in at most 3 entries.
  • You cannot vote for yourself. If a voter has the same IP as the author then the vote will not be counted and it may result in the disqualification of the entry.
  • You cannot create multiple accounts to vote for an entry in the poll. If a voter has been found to be using multiple accounts none of the voters votes will count in the final result.
  • You cannot bribe users for votes. Contestants who break this rule will be disqualified and given negative reputation.
prizes.png

• First Place: 40 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
  • Second Place: 25 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 15 reputation points and an award icon
  • Participants: 5 reputation points
entries.png

This YouTube video contains all the entries. The start time of each song is in the video description.

judges.png

• NightStalker
  • Mr. Vacant

contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Theme

How well does it demonstrate the feeling of the theme
/15

Creativity/Originality
How original is the piece? How creative are you with the theme/instruments/etc./10

Production

Basically, how well does it flow? Are accents used to good effect? Do overall levels make sense? etc.
/10

Composition

How well is it composed? Do the key changes make sense?
/15

• 75 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 25 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll. Voters will be able to vote in at most 3 entries, which is 1/3 of the total entries rounded to the smallest number.
Contest thread can be found here.

Last edited:
Level 28
Erm, polls with too many options are often set to allow multiple votes. We have no rules about this, so it's mainly left to the host to arbitrarily decide. So I just followed the criteria that was used in the Paired Modeling/Texturing Poll, which seemed good enough:
Voters will be able to vote in at most 3 entries, which is 1/3 of the total entries rounded to the smallest number.
Except that in the Modeling/Texturing Contest it was rounded to the closest number, not the smallest. We would vote for 4 entries if I did that and I thought it would be too much.

In case any of guys think we should have clear rules written about this, you're more than welcome to vote 3rd option or voice an opinion in the Arena Contests Changes thread.

Level 4
Couldn't reply on the previous thread since I don't have the rep (I think, not really sure since I came back to this website after 7 years).

@KayS Do you like Buckethead? Your entry could fit really well on his Colma album. You have my vote :)

Last edited:
Level 17
For some reason I was no longer getting updates to the previous thread.

Why am I not on poll, the piece I did was the finished product :/

I think the confusion here is that in previous contests the host has just taken the final wips as the actual entry if no later updates are posted. Or at least that is what I am used to :/
--I uploaded more than one WIP so....I just assumed the final one would be taken. Sorry about that.
You can find it on the previous thread. Last update was like 20th july or something? Page 8 or so

Grr Weeb Fantasy

In the life of a weeb, as he traverses his depressed lifestyle and wants to bond with his waifu.

I suppose I needed to post a picture of the wip Project.
upload_2017-8-3_4-54-54.png

Last edited:
Level 17
Well the final Wip i uploaded was my full entry, even had a description. :/ Just didn't label it "FINAL ENTRY". :/

Not really sure about the whole screenshot policy since I never did that last competition, but I did do it in the one before that. So i uploaded screenshot now just to be sure

My post on the previous thread is unchanged.

Level 28
@Brambleclaw Ouch man I'm sorry your entry was missed! Really. Everyone that had a final entry in the entries table was picked and put in the poll. We don't have the policy of taking WIPs to the poll, so please next time state something clear like "consider this as a final entry if I don't update it", and you won't be forgotten.

Also it has nothing to do with the screenshot thing, it wasn't mandatory in this contest.

Level 22
Alright since it's the 1st time both of them did it (and one of them told me via PM telling to discount his vote right after he did it), the poll was just reset.

Please guys:
View attachment 275566
image is a courtesy of @Heinvers

I know we are testing your patience, I commented early about the fact that I'd accidentally voted for myself as well and I just want to make sure you did notice this so it's not construe as me being deceitful.

Level 17
@Brambleclaw Ouch man I'm sorry your entry was missed! Really. Everyone that had a final entry in the entries table was picked and put in the poll. We don't have the policy of taking WIPs to the poll, so please next time state something clear like "consider this as a final entry if I don't update it", and you won't be forgotten.

Also it has nothing to do with the screenshot thing, it wasn't mandatory in this contest.

Well now that you know. Could you add me?

Level 28
Brambleclaw's entry is now considered as a final entry and added to the poll. We talked and he agreed to have it added lately even though it has disadvantages.

Please people:
  • Pay attention at the entries table in the next contests (check if your link is correct and if you weren't missed);
  • WIPs are not equal to final entries. Clearly state that you want it to be considered as an entry (as long as it isn't your 1st WIP);
  • Don't vote for yourselves.

Last edited:
Level 30
Brambleclaw's entry is now considered as a final entry and added to the poll. We talked and he agreed to have it added lately even though it has disadvantages.

Please people:
  • Pay attention at the entries table in the next contests (check if your link is correct and if you weren't missed);
  • WIPs are not equal to final entries. Clearly state that you want it to be considered as an entry (as long as it isn't the 1st WIP posted);
  • Don't vote for yourselves.
Haha what a handful.
Voted for Kays for his relaxing beat, and for Forsakethis for his really well done orchestral programming. Sounds very realistic.

Level 16
Couldn't reply on the previous thread since I don't have the rep (I think, not really sure since I came back to this website after 7 years).

@KayS Do you like Buckethead? Your entry could fit really well on his Colma album. You have my vote :)
Glad to read that... Never heard of Buckethead.... I miss a vocalist but sounds great, thanks for the new music dude.

Edit >> @The J man, I really love your work

Last edited:
Level 28
We have NightStalker and I've also been in contact with a number of other people to see if they want to be judges. In case all of them turn down the offer, I can let NightStalker be the only judge. If you guys really want another judge, I can take place as the second one, if everyone agrees. This is just a backup plan though.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Pay attention at the entries table in the next contests (check if your link is correct and if you weren't missed);
I disagree. That should not be the contestant's job.
If you guys really want another judge, I can take place as the second one, if everyone agrees.
No problemo!
Brambleclaw's entry is now considered as a final entry and added to the poll.
Too bad it ain't in the video as well.

Last edited:
Level 14
Beware: You may shock from what i wrote down

- Nostalic feeling
- Little mystery and a little sad
- Slow and steady
- Natural but also dramatically flow
=> It has water, catch rock and peace
=> Yes, Its a Stream

- Freedom feeling
- Energetic but also have pressure
- Changing quickly but not consistent
=> Is has wind, wave and lots of lives
=> No, Its more like an ocean, rather than cold place

- Peachful feeling
- Beautiful, gentle
=> So much sad, seem likes you are save from or rewarded by something, but its still not good enough
=> Its more like devorce with your lover

- Get-High feeling
- Classic, slow and memorize
=> No, I can't see light here

- Deep feeling
- Very slow but also fit with nature
- Lost, mislead to find something in urgent
=> Yes, its Hearth of the Tide

- So lively and pure
- Magical feeling
- Whispering, nature call
=> Yes, you can consider it as Something of Live

- Plain, mystery feeling
- Lonely but still Moving on
- Suddenly want to catch something
=> Someone is alone and want to change, but unnatural, slow down (or doom) by something
=> Yes, This is Realm of Heathens

- What is this feel?
- Im totally lost it! somebody help!
- Too many danger
=> Sorry, so many things cut in the middle

- Indifferent feeling
- Like "Whatever"
- Plan for something? No?
=> Nope

- Here it come!
- Something coming!
- Light up
- It break something!
- To Battle!
- Its so hard!
- Is it over? No, more things to come.
- Here it come again!
- No longer hard as previously but it take too long
- Battle again!
=> Moving on
=> Yes, it is Battlefields of Eternity

- Night feeling
- Adventure my ass
=> Nope, no such thing as Electric Swamp

P/s: Really sorry if this offends someone, my big-ass joke :p

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
@Forsakethis did you tell us/credit the source you've got those sounds from? I mean, the steps, swords clashing and stuff like that.
Same goes for @Brambleclaw.

======================================================================================================

@Devine Although it mostly runs on the same chords and melodic line, it has a mini piano solo and the orchestration is well harmonized even benefiting from sound FX and manipulations.
I can imagine myself watching touristic regions from high above, yes. I'd go farther into seeing myself drive/propel into a machinery which goes through an icy cavern in plain space, as if passing through a tunnel in a comet.

@The J What kills the mood of the song isn't necessarily the abrupt end but the stuff that comes after it which just fells like filler (the last piano part). Other than that, it's practically viable for its theme as the water waves slowly start moving due to the Moon and then because of the wind/currents rapidly change tempo to after a while suddenly become remote which doesn't do good to the natural vibe of the phenomenon.

@enzo2090 It's rather well harmonized however follows the same mood all over and ends a bit without a proper conclusion (might it be intended to loop?). The string/violin at the beginning is a bit screechy. It's surely one antistress, relaxing piece which depicts nature in general in my mind.

Voted for you three.

Last edited:
Level 28
Pay attention at the entries table in the next contests (check if your link is correct and if you weren't missed);
I disagree. That should not be the contestant's job
This surely is the host's job, and will ever be. Although I suppose the contestant may also have interest in being sure that his own stuff is correctly linked and considered as an entry, if he wishes it to be.

Too bad it ain't in the video as well.
I won't be able to edit the video until at least Monday, when I'll be at home. If anyone's willing and able to download the video and add Brambleclaw's entry at the end of it, I'll be more than thankful for that.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Alright, now when going to the properties of @Forsakethis's song, it says year 2014 which kind of means it wasn't specifically made for this contest but before it. Now, the thing is, that said field can be modified...
Let's say we can just overlook this one as it's not a blatant rip like the other I've mentioned in an earlier post.

Level 22
Alright, now when going to the properties of @Forsakethis's song, it says year 2014 which kind of means it wasn't specifically made for this contest but before it. Now, the thing is, that said field can be modified...
Let's say we can just overlook this one as it's not a blatant rip like the other I've mentioned in an earlier post.

I'm quite sure he did not write or engineer this piece. It's way too skillful for an amateur competition like this, especially for someone with 3 posts.

He also did not reference his samples which is in clear violation of the stated rules.

Level 22
I must say it was my work but by sampling(Or in other words, heavy referencing like icon works). I thought it should not be a problem in a music contest! The theme was so hard for me!

You clearly just downloaded and used the original piece, nothing about it was different that I could hear. This is not only plagiarism but blatantly deceitful and totally uncool.

Reactions: pyf
Status
Not open for further replies.