• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Music Contest #11 - Theme Discussion

What theme should be next for "Music Contest #11"

• Cinematic

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Classical

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • 8-Bit

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • EDM Trap

• Something else...

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Future Bass

• Glitch-Hop

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Warcraft OST

• Battle Theme

• Cyberpunk Theme

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
Music Contest #11
Now with the last music contest came to an end, I think it will be great to start discussion for the next theme. I'm not personally going to suggest one theme, instead, I've decided to go with a poll (for multiple themes). I'll put a brief description for each theme suggestion that has been listed in the poll. If anyone else has other themes in mind, please go ahead and suggest it below, I would like to see this contest be more active than the previous.

Classical Style
Those that're into the works of great composers like Sergei Rachmaninoff, Ludwig van Beethoven and many others will find this theme more than exciting. Though exciting, it can be very difficult!

Cinematic
You're to create an cinematic soundtrack that would be suited for modern styled cinematic tracks that you would hear today.

True 8-Bit
It could be said that this is similar to "retro"... But! The catch is that you're require to create a true 8-Bit styled track. Meaning that you will be required to only use traditional methods of creating 9-Bit styled track.

Electronic Dance Music, Trap
Here's a weird suggestion. But not everything we do has to stick to themes that you'd might expect from a music contest.

Electronic Dance Music, Future
Another sup-genre from the EDM scene for you to select if it's your preferred theme.

Glitch-Hop
And probably the last genre you'd probably expect to be suggested, but still a good one none the less!

Warcraft OST

With the recent reveal of Warcraft III Reforged I'd say it would be cool to re-create a OST that would suit any of the races of Warcraft.

Battle Theme
Create a track that would suit the battle theme. Things such as war drums are the kind of things you'd might expect in such a track.

Cyberpunk
And the last option for those that're into Cyberpunk.

Last edited:
Level 16
We basically had that in a way for the previous contest.
I personally think "retro" and "8-Bit" could be put into the same category. But maybe when I said 8-Bit, I meant "true 8-Bit", and not just something retro with 8-Bit sounds and some modern ones. The idea I had in mind will be in the video below.

Why limit ourselves to 6 minutes?
As for the 6 minute time limit... I don't think 6 is at all unreasonable, and I'm sure a good argument like "The track has to be long, because it's telling a story, and each part is a new part in the story" could be said. But there is always a way to shorten a story without dragging it out. If 6 is too little then maybe 8-10 (but no higher than 10), but It's weird that there isn't a time limit to begin with. I say just have it so there isn't anything too lengthy. Could have that agree to disagree outcome to this discussion but, let's be real, we don't want a overly lengthy submission. I say 10 if anything should be the cap.

There are a lot of themes from previous discussions which could be taken in consideration.
I'm up for any theme! I was only suggesting things now so we can kick start this next contest. The best way to do that is to just discuss it I guess lol.

Level 38
I’m personally opposed to a “classical-ish” theme; I feel it will be limiting and/or off-putting to people who are on the edge about joining the contest. On average how many people are stoked about classical music? I would say it’s also in ways more difficult to compose classical music than other simpler styles. Maybe it would be good for variety's sake (it is unusual to have a classical piece at all in a music contest) but my intuition is far fewer entries would be had for this theme.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
I personally think "retro" and "8-Bit" could be put into the same category. But maybe when I said 8-Bit, I meant "true 8-Bit", and not just something retro with 8-Bit sounds and some modern ones. The idea I had in mind will be in the video below.
I say true but it'd be too early.
Also that one you linked is still not fully 8 bit :p
but It's weird that there isn't a time limit to begin with.
"Minimum length is 1 minute, there is no maximum length (please keep it reasonable, 20 minute entries may create the necessity for a maximum length)."
~excerpt from the Music Contest rules.
I’m personally opposed to a “classical-ish” theme
Me too. It's hard and too few would dare approach it. Also, 1 month won't be enough for it.

@Naze where are the music theme and discussion threads!? I can't find them anymore...

EDIT: alright searched but on the site not in the Barracks/Arena...

Next Music Contest Theme
Music Contest #2 - Theme Vote
Music Contest #3 - Theme Selection
Music Contest #4 - Theme thread
Music Contest #5 Theme Discussion
Music Contest #6 - Theme Discussion
Music Contest #7 - Theme Poll
Music Contest #8 - Theme Discussion
Music Contest #9 - Theme Discussion
Music Contest #10 - Theme Discussion

EDIT: @Its Ryan Boi maybe you should rename the title to Theme/Discussion.

Last edited:
Level 16
I say true but it'd be too early.
I don't have a problem with what theme we have. The whole point was merely to start the discussion for the next contest.

"Minimum length is 1 minute, there is no maximum length (please keep it reasonable, 20 minute entries may create the necessity for a maximum length)."
*Evil intentions of making 20 minuet song* ... And fair enough that works for me..

EDIT: @Its Ryan Boi maybe you should rename the title to Theme/Discussion.
Changed to fit the previous title layouts that have been made.

I’m personally opposed to a “classical-ish” theme. Me too. It's hard and too few would dare approach it.
Yeah it's a pretty crazy suggestion, but id personally be down for it. Been doing a lot of music theory, so it would have helped lol. But it was just one of the things that came to my mind when writing.

I hate Trap....
Feels bad man.

Again guys I don't really mind what themes we have. It can be anything!

Level 17
I feel like it would be nice since the reveal of War 3 remastered, to make a track that sounds in the feel of the Warcraft OST, either faction or story specific.

:l

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
I'm currently away. I'll update the poll when i get back home. If you have a suggestion and it's not posted please do so
Yeah, next time, let's not start the thread with a poll directly but add it later after everyone put something on the table.

But what does Something Else stand for? I mean, how can you even have that as a theme to be voted for? Does it mean, everyone can do whatever theme they want?

Level 19
I won't be able to participate in this new contest, since I already have a personal project and a few ordered projects, but I'd love to see what people can come up with a cinematic style or a Warcraft music.

Cinematic style actually brings out more "out of the comfort zone" challenge though. Composers can take a movie scene for example and base their compositions on that particular scene with following ups and downs, mood swings, climaxes or whatever...

Good luck to everyone from now!

Level 10
I'm kinda in for anything.

Also i guess we need the people on "something else" suggest something.

Let's go for Glitch Hop !
It shall be a tough one, especially because it's one of my favorites :]

Interesting, but i will be honest and say that i'm sort of confused to how a Glitch Hop would be, since it's so embracing.

Last edited:
It's a mix of Dubstep instruments : heavy sound and samples remixed to make strong sweeps and glitches (it's where it find its name)
The "Hop" is a little misuse of language, it comes from Hip-Hop itself defined by old jazz/funk musics reused by DJ around late 80s-90s. Their riffs are syncopated but only serve to background the lyrics.
In the end, GlitchHop redefine the Electro style by digesting both the glitchy and the jazzy sides. The music becomes entertaining, rich, surrounding you by huge orchestration like a lucid dream; yet the dubstep style stretch the song into a even more richer music. It's a great example of how 2010s compositions made by internet represent both sweetness, creativity and chaos of new creators.

Still, it could be mixed with so much things. For example Thomas Vent - Bertha Bertha is a Glitch Hop music that mixes old black Blues by former slaves, Country, rock, and Electro.

Status
Not open for further replies.