1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Ride into the sunset with the 32nd Modeling Contest. The contest is optionally paired. Best of luck, people!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. This adventure has come to an end. Congratulate our heroes in the 16th Mini Mapping Contest Results.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. From the gates of hell, the 5th Special Effect Contest Results have emerged.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Music Contest #4 - Theme thread

Discussion in 'Submissions Archive' started by WherewolfTherewolf, Jul 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WherewolfTherewolf

WherewolfTherewolf

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Planning for Music Contest #4, have any good theme suggestions? Post them here.

Note: in the end, the final theme is up to whoever hosts it - this is a theme suggestion thread, not an absolute poll as to what the final will be.

2. JetFangInferno

JetFangInferno

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
    Battlefields
    Mythology
    Comedy
    Tragedy

Personally, I think Comedy would be the most fun, but My Little Pony would be incredibly amusing as well (though not everyone follows the meme).

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  3. WherewolfTherewolf

WherewolfTherewolf

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I'd think it'd be cool to get numbers into play, like take a specific number or number sequence, like the Fibbonaci sequence, and somehow fit that to a song. Thing is, you can do it any way so long as you can explain it in your written statement, so that leaves you to figure out how to fit the sequence in it yourself.

4. JetFangInferno

JetFangInferno

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
  5. Bugz

Bugz

Resources:
    Maps:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    Adventure
    Science fiction
    Drama
    Sadness

6. bhusta

bhusta

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Contrast / Opposite
    - Day and night
    - Victory and Defeat

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  7. Devine

Devine

Resources:
    Resources:
    l'amour perhaps?

8. JetFangInferno

JetFangInferno

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Or combination of Devine and bhusta's ideas:

Contrast between love and love-less (heartbreak).

9. WherewolfTherewolf

WherewolfTherewolf

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    What about the concept of a Loop,
    As in something endless eternally feeding into itself

Conceptually it's a fairly simple concept but there's so many ways you could approach it, you could get some pretty interesting theory going into play trying to express that theme.

10. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    That leads to monotony.

11. JetFangInferno

JetFangInferno

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    deepstraz, like WWTW there's many ways to approaching and defining loops. You can define it in terms of rhythms, melodic motifs, instrumentation, chord progressions etc.

Loops is another cool idea because it is the foundation for a lot of music. From the repeating chord progression of Pachabel's Canon to the looping rhythm and beats in Deadmau5's music, there is a lot of repetition (in a good way). Ravel's Bolero is also a famous song where the main melody is looped over different instrumentation, which prevents it from being monotonous (that is quite subjective though).

I think if you mix and match all these ideas together you can get some interesting and challenging themes. For instance, the contrast of love and heartbreak using only a loop that is permuted. However, we don't want to scare people off because that is WAY too specific.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  12. Steel_Stallion

Steel_Stallion

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Blues :)

It's all I play :(

13. WherewolfTherewolf

WherewolfTherewolf

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Blue as a color could be an interesting theme, but generally I find it best to avoid specific genres as a theme because not everyone's equipped to create music up to their standards for every genre, It'd be interesting to see how it turns out (I'd love to see someone pull of orchestral or electro blues) but it's very limiting and it would turn off many potential entrants. On top of that most people are working with sequencers and not actual instruments, because of that it makes blues very difficult to pull off because to get the feel right you have to have that swing going, while it's natural for a human to play it that way it's difficult to translate into a way that most sequencers understand - while it's close to triplet pairs, it's not exact so doing it that way just makes it sound very synthetic and lacking of the human aspect which makes blues a very appealing form of music.

14. Steel_Stallion

Steel_Stallion

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    See its the opposite for me lol, I'd like to get involved in one of these things, but I just play guitar. I've tried tinkering with those MIDI programs and I've experimented with guitar pro a few times, but I just can't orchestrate it that well. I just pick up my guitar and start improving, man. lol.

but don't mind me, I'll see if I can jump in regardless of the theme.

15. JetFangInferno

JetFangInferno

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I think colors is way too subjective for a theme.

16. Jazztastic

Jazztastic

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Triplet pairs being hard for a sequencer? Hip hop as a genre evolved from sixteenth note triplet pairs swung on, guess what, computers.

Blues is mainly defined by it telling a story (not always in words), and in that regard it is much like country music. Not all blues is swung, I've heard plenty without the usual spang-a-lang usually associated with peices in the genre, playing straight eighths isn't foreign. Blues can be anywhere from fast to slow to any tempo inbetween. However, blues does have to follow the blues variants of scales, mixolydian, if I recall correctly, usually in a 12 or 16 bar form

"Synthesized" Jazz music is still Jazz. Jazz grew in popularity due to the fact that it absorbed other styles of music to create unique feelings and sounds. There is absolutely no reason why techno couldn't be asborbed this way. Lack of the human spirit hasn't stopped people in music before, if anything, having perfectly calculated effects has only allowed musicians to give grander scale to their creations, and achieve a level of musicianship not possible by an orchestra, no matter the talent. Do I consider Daft Punk to be musicians, absolutely, just as much as Louie Gillespie or Louie Prima.

I'm a Jazz drummer and I've played gigs before. I've also spent my fair share on the computer tinkering with music programs. Blues is easily do-able, I made a blues song on my friends GUITAR HERO EDITOR for gods sake.

At the same time, I think Blues is the most irritating style of Jazz. Honestly my least favorite to play and listen to, but I am providing a counterpoint for why you shouldnt just chuck out genres.

17. WherewolfTherewolf

WherewolfTherewolf

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I never said it was impossible, nor did I ever insinuate electronic music is less musical then acoustic (for f@#$s sake that's what I mainly do).

But there are plenty of reasons why you shouldn't pick a specific genre as a theme, not everyone's equipped for every genre, for someone with more experience in the genre then others it could be an easy win, etc. etc. Personally I think a theme should provide a similar level of challenge for all entrants by forcing them to find a way express it in a creative way, while some people may still have more experience expressing the idea it's not so easily a matter of how much experience you've had with it in the past. On top of that, more abstract themes allow for a larger variety in the entries - the competition's more interesting when you can see all the various ways people have come up with to relay the idea, while one may purely go off instrumentation and style to express the idea, someone else may come up with a very creative way to express it in the inner workings of the composition itself, or yet another may go a more sampled route finding a unique way to turn a sound related to the theme itself into a full piece - thing is once you've set a genre to go with, that begins to limit the scope of ways you can take the piece. While it's true that in the vast variety of sub-genres of any more genre you can get an unlimited variety of fusions and adaptions, for a lot of people having a specific name floating over them will be a bit of a damper on their creativity, for others they probably wouldn't enter at all instead of trying to adapt.

I'm not trying to protect people's usual habits, I'm all for pushing people out of their comfort zone so creativity can flow, but picking a specific genre is just to inconsistent to work there unless it's obscure enough that the chances anyone has any experience with it are slim to none.

18. JetFangInferno

JetFangInferno

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Well said, WWTW.

19. Crazed_seal2

Crazed_seal2

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Dramatic Music?

Combat Music?

Epic Music

20. JetFangInferno

JetFangInferno

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    The problem with those three themes is that not everyone has the right instruments to invoke "epicness" for example. I would be given an unfair advantage because I do have the orchestral instruments while many others only have synthesizers at their disposal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.