• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Icon Contest #10 Theme

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
Coolio. Here are the themes of the previous contests:
#1 Reflections
#2 Command icons
#3 Elements
#4 Weapon and Armor Upgrade Sequences
#5 Hero Ability Icon Replacements
#6 Themed Items
#7 Attribute icons
#8 Food
#9 Same Abilities, Different Hero

I'ma come with an idea when I think of one :p

Coolio. Here are the themes of the previous contests:
#1 Reflections
#2 Command icons
#3 Elements
#4 Weapon and Armor Upgrade Sequences
#5 Hero Ability Icon Replacements
#6 Themed Items
#7 Attribute icons
#8 Food
#9 Same Abilities, Different Hero

I'ma come with an idea when I think of one :p
Well, wouldn't it make more sense to state themes from previous submissions that were NOT used?

These are most of the suggestions from Icon Contest #9:
Forms of magic
Requests from the request section
Race related spell icons
Building Upgrades
Unit corresponding ability icons
Disruption
icon that corresponds with existing attachment models
Zombies
Modern War
Hero contest related icons (for winner entries)
Mythological creature related icons

Level 30
I would love to see the "Upgrade Chart Iconset", where you will have to create a set of four icons which are basically, new upgrades for anything you want.

We can go with items or skill upgrades. Or even basic upgrades.

Examples:
icons_6815_btn.jpg
icons_6816_btn.jpg
icons_6817_btn.jpg
(Icons by: viiva)
icons_14405_btn.jpg
icons_14406_btn.jpg
icons_14407_btn.jpg
(Icons by: PeeKay)
icons_3256_btn.jpg
icons_3257_btn.jpg
icons_3258_btn.jpg
icons_3259_btn.jpg
(Icons by: CRAZYRUSSIAN)
icons_15351_btn.jpg
icons_15352_btn.jpg
icons_15353_btn.jpg
icons_15354_btn.jpg
(Icons by: 13lackDeath)

Level 11
Well, we have earlier had a replacement for hero abilities, so I suggest hero replacement icons. All contestants are to replace the icons of all 4 heroes of a WC3 race of own choice.

I missed that contest. :/
It seemed to be very funny to do, so I support this suggestion.

Oh, and when I think about it, I could support anything medieval / warcraftish. Especially anything warcraft related.

Well, we have earlier had a replacement for hero abilities, so I suggest hero replacement icons. All contestants are to replace the icons of all 4 heroes of a WC3 race of own choice.
That's a very limited theme, 4 races don't really qualify for a contest with 4< contestants.
The chosen theme has to offer a certain amount of freedom for all participants.

Level 19
Well I try giving out some:
1. Many Icons, One Picture. Basically you make like 10 icons to form a bigger art.
2. Project Icon. An icon for a single project.
3. Racial Expansion. Replace all icons for a certain category for a certain race. Like, replace all Building Icons for Humans or Replace all unit icons of the Undead. Only melee included.

Units, spells, items.. we all have seen that. How about upgrade icons for buildings? No, I dont mean "draw buildings" and stuff. Contestants could draw an improovement mechanics for building costruction. For example: improved tiles on roof, better joins of wooden colums, reinforced walls, better stone/brick constructions.

Level 25
Okay, I have another idea: Power. Each contestant would make x amount of icons they think represent power. They should follow the same theme, so if one icon had tanks and such, the others should also be in a modern-ish theme.
This theme would offer an infinite amount of options, as power is depicted subjectively.

Level 31
Why not using themes that were used before? A good theme stays a good theme. I mean, instead of making cookies and fruits like last contest (Or the one before the last one, can't remember) we could make something that fits into warcraft like weapon upgrades and all that stuff.

The Theme for the next Icon Contest has been settled:
Creating Icons for corresponding Skins/Models of our database.

Now, what do you prefer (this is a quick question, no big "poll" of sorts...)?
  • Simply create 4 fitting ability icons or
  • 5 icons total (4 abilities, 1 unit portrait)

I'd prefer you to go with the latter, as it will be good practice for everyone who hasn't done unit icons so far, plus it will show us how versatile you are.

However, I understand that 5 icons are quite many for a contest.

I'm not getting what you tried to say, but, oh well, life's a bitch.

The contest is running when? In July? It would be an intelligent lol to make it on 4th of July :wink:
I will host the contest on Sunday, it will be ongoing for 5 weeks, 1 week per icon. We can always extend the deadline, if you guys should happen to need more time.

Status
Not open for further replies.