• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Multiplayer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
Yeah. Back on topic.

As a brief answer, internet play/multiplayer mode will not be introduced to Wc3:WoW for a while. WarSoc is "not even close to completion" which pretty much sums up why Wc3:WoW won't be an MMORPG... yet.

More news on this will come up later.
~Craka_J

Level 25
WarSoc will allow the player to create servers that run on WarSoc, also with the acception of the server being a campaign. Which means Wc3:WoW (In Campaign format) will be hostable on WarSoc. On servers completely different from Battle Net. And all Blizzard's site says is they don't like large mods like ours being hosted on their servers or BNet. But WarSoc works around that and makes its own server(s) and is off of BNet.
~Craka_J

Level 21
Does Blizzard Entertainment allow or support other Battle.net like or emulation servers? Can I host one of these rogue servers?

No. Except as set forth in the next paragraph, Blizzard Entertainment does not support or condone network play of its games anywhere but Battle.net. Specifically, you may not host or provide matchmaking services for any of our games or emulate or redirect the communication protocols used by Blizzard Entertainment in the network feature of its games, through protocol emulation, tunneling, modifying or adding components to the game(s), use of a utility program or any other techniques now known or hereafter developed, for any purpose including, but not limited to network play over the Internet, network play utilizing commercial or non-commercial gaming networks or as part of content aggregation networks without the prior written consent of Blizzard Entertainment.

Specifically, you may not host or provide matchmaking services for any of our games or emulate or redirect the communication protocols used by Blizzard Entertainment in the network feature of its games, through protocol emulation, tunneling, modifying or adding components to the game(s)...

I still have my doubts about this being legal, because while you might not be "adding" a component to the game, you're still emulating the network feature of warcraft 3...

Another quote:
End-user License Agreement said:
(b) the Program has a multi-player capability. This multi-player capability allows users to utilize the Program over the Internet exclusively through Blizzard Entertainment's on-line game network Battle.net or other hosting services duly authorized by Blizzard Entertainment. Use of the Program over Battle.net or other hosting services duly authorized by Blizzard Entertainment is subject to your acceptance of Battle.net's Terms of Use Agreement. Blizzard Entertainment reserves the right to update, modify or change the Battle.net Terms of Use Agreement at any time.
The way I understand this is that as soon as you go multiplayer - whether it be on bnet or LAN - you're bound to the battle.net rules. Since it's not allowed to put campaigns on Bnet, I think it's not allowed to host campaigns anyway.

Last edited:
Level 25
Yeah pretty much. The I.P. addresses to the servers would be posted on the website on a special page which we'd make called the "Servers" page which would be like WoW's page (Displays all currently functioning official servers) and we will also release a tutorial or two of how to play WarSoc. Yes, WarSoc will be needed by people who host and play Wc3:WoW online. Not sure if it will be needed for single-player in the future though. Most likely it will be.
~Craka_J

Level 4
Well Just To Say Im looking Forward to play the open beta
why because this looks awesome!! i just wanted to show support becuz i havent been on forever.... lol :)
so if it will be multi-player how many servers would u need to get cause i might be able to host one for you guys but i might not so w/e just thinking if i could help :)

Level 1
Mind Blowing. Incredible. Beyond what I percieved as the realms of possibility as far as Warcraft 3 Modding goes. I fully support this project if not with my lacking mapping ability, but with my two thumbs up, over-obessive nature and lack of interest in school homework.

I used to play WoW; level 70 tier 6 druid, so if you need any help with any of the lore, balance or whatever please let me know.

I'm proud my first post is here in this thread, wishing you guys the best of luck in this revalation in mapping, programming and dedication.

Level 25
Thanks for your kind words and support! The Wc3:WoW Team finds all of our fan's support to be very encouraging and spirit-lifting. Thank you!

I'm afraid an Open Beta won't be out as soon as I'd like. I don't even think we'll be able to release something on Christmas! But I might release a screenshot or spoiler then if I cannot release the actual beta.
~Craka_J

Level 25
Not all that we can muster out of the project though! :wink:
Though I agree with you that screenshots certainly isn't enough. On either Christmas or Christmas Eve, I plan on releasing some sort of content. Not an Open Beta, but possibly a Closed Beta and some public contents like screenshots and wallpapers.
~Craka_J

Level 21
Read this
http://warsoc.fulgrim.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2
And this
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37335
for a better understanding of the legality questions surrounding "Reinventing the Craft"

I did. I'm still not convinced. Especially because of this:

Mindworx said:
FAQ said:
"Does Blizzard Entertainment® allow or support other Battle.net® like or emulation servers? Can I host one of these rogue servers?
No. Except as set forth in the next paragraph, Blizzard Entertainment® does not support or condone network play of its games anywhere but Battle.net®. Specifically, you may not host or provide matchmaking services for any of our games or emulate or redirect the communication protocols used by Blizzard Entertainment® in the network feature of its games, through protocol emulation, tunneling, modifying or adding components to the game(s), use of a utility program or any other techniques now known or hereafter developed, for any purpose including, but not limited to network play over the Internet, network play utilizing commercial or non-commercial gaming networks or as part of content aggregation networks without the prior written consent of Blizzard Entertainment®."

I'm not emulating battle.net either, i'm emulating multiplayer. This is just a set of natives that allow nettraffic from the map. Could be used for mirc communication too, doesn't have anything to do with Battle.net.

Mindworx' reply is not giving an answer to the things mentioned in the FAQ.

"Blizzard Entertainment® does not support or condone network play of its games anywhere but Battle.net®. Specifically, you may not host or provide matchmaking services for any of our games or emulate or redirect the communication protocols used by Blizzard Entertainment® in the network feature of its games".
I understand this in the following way: Blizzard's RTS games are only allowed to be played in multiplayer over Bnet. Whether Mindworx doesn't use anything of Bnet or not is completely out of the question, because the final product will be a way to play warcraft 3 online (including campaigns, which MOST certainly violates the Bnet rules) without Bnet.

Somewhere else in the Bnet agreement (we all signed when installing wc3) it's stated that any multiplayersession, whether it be on Bnet or LAN, has to obey to the Bnet rules. One of these rules state that playing campaigns online is prohibited.

I almost feel like I'm repeating myself.

Perhaps it'd be better to move these last posts to the RTC forum since they no longer have much to do with WoW? just suggesting...

Level 5
I did. I'm still not convinced. Especially because of this:

Mindworx' reply is not giving an answer to the things mentioned in the FAQ.

"Blizzard Entertainment® does not support or condone network play of its games anywhere but Battle.net®. Specifically, you may not host or provide matchmaking services for any of our games or emulate or redirect the communication protocols used by Blizzard Entertainment® in the network feature of its games".
I understand this in the following way: Blizzard's RTS games are only allowed to be played in multiplayer over Bnet. Whether Mindworx doesn't use anything of Bnet or not is completely out of the question, because the final product will be a way to play warcraft 3 online (including campaigns, which MOST certainly violates the Bnet rules) without Bnet.

Somewhere else in the Bnet agreement (we all signed when installing wc3) it's stated that any multiplayersession, whether it be on Bnet or LAN, has to obey to the Bnet rules. One of these rules state that playing campaigns online is prohibited.

I almost feel like I'm repeating myself.

Perhaps it'd be better to move these last posts to the RTC forum since they no longer have much to do with WoW? just suggesting...

Just so you know I haven't taken a side on this discussion.
I'm not trying to prove or disprove anything that anyone has said.
I simply posted the links so that people could get an idea of what MindWorX thinks of the legality issues surrounding RtC.

Level 21
Hmm... they added to that FAQ rule since I last checked. Oh well. We'll still continue the production of Wc3:WoW, legally or illegally!
~Craka_J

erm...

I actually quoted you quoting the Blizzard FAQ in a thread on the official RTC fora...

Personally, for the sake of RTC and wc3:WoW, I hope Blizzard will ignore this or perhaps encourage it as long as you don't break any more serious rules (such as asking a fee).

Level 25
We will never ask for you to pay, nor will we ever require it. We will however accept donations later on once I get a credit card which is in one more year. The donation money won't go to my pocket, don't worry. All donation cash will go towards the dedicated servers if we need to make one.
~Craka_J

Level 25
We actually believe that this will make people who have not yet played WoW, want to buy and play WoW! I mean... if we can make it as much like WoW in Wc3 now, and you love it, imagine actually playing it? So in a way, we're helping Blizzard gain a few hundred new people into WoW. :grin:

I quit WoW like four months ago. But I hear they've finally began to crack down on PvP and improve it a lot more. But I won't continue to play WoW until the new expansion, though I'll probably wait two months after the release of that so they fix all of the bugs and so on.
~Craka_J

Level 25
Well I am a Horde player, and the first most playable races will be Horde, though along the way, we'll make Humans and Night Elves playable so do not worry, Alliance will get some action as well. But Horde was the original plan three years ago and still is, though I wish to bring the Alliance and Lordaeron into this game once the majority of Kalimdor and the Horde is completed.

Recently, the biggest problems we're trying to find solutions to are spell implementations to the actual campaign file. The problem exactly, is that vJASS is giving us trouble with importing these triggered spells into the game. If you figure out a way to make vJASS made spells or vJASS triggers in general work with Campaigns (Maps) properly, please inform us of how to do it immediately, and supporting your theory with a campaign that uses vJASS in some areas will be very much appreciated and respectable for sure!
~Craka_J

Status
Not open for further replies.