• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Multi-Tier Hydra

"Cut off one head, two more shall take its place"

My entry for the 34th Modeling Contest.

It's a three-tiered hydra sea monster with a complete animation set for each respective stage. Designed to be an entirely amphibious unit.

Portrait is included in the base model. Also included are the two custom missiles used in the preview.

Feel free to modify and enjoy!
Previews
Contents

Hydra Missile 2 Heads (Model)

Hydra Missile 3 Heads (Model)

Muti-Tier Hydra (Model)

Reviews
General Frank
A fine model-edit with lots of creativity put into it. The model works inside the game and performs well. Good job.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
This is wicked, man. Love this little big guy. : )

The mesh also gives it away. Isn't it a bit simple?
Maybe, but that just means you have a much better chance against in the Contest, mirite? ; )

Frostwhisper, if you wanted to work on that, I would suggest tweaking the mesh a bit, maybe resizing the neck and/or jaws, perhaps adding fins.

Level 50
Maybe, but that just means you have a much better chance against in the Contest, mirite? ; )
It's not about that. In one of the previous contests my model was classified as a 'model edit' from one of the judges even though it was made from scratch, while this model is obviously a simple edit of Tidal Guardian model and is obviously getting a "wow" comments.

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
maybe resizing the neck and/or jaws, perhaps adding fins.

I did actually try a version with more fins. All three heads had the dorsal, bottom and side fins, but it ended up a bit cluttered, and there were some clipping issues during the animations where the heads look around and pass over/next to each-other. So I left the first head with dorsal and side fins and the other two with bottom fins. Also gives the first head a neat little distinction as the alpha of the bunch.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Yeah they were just some ideas I threw out there, real low-hanging fruit. I'm not surprised you already tried them. No big deal. : )

It's not about that. In one of the previous contests my model was classified as a 'model edit' from one of the judges even though it was made from scratch, while this model is obviously a simple edit of Tidal Guardian model and is obviously getting a "wow" comments.
I sympathize with you. I think that's really more the fault of the Judges failing to recognize your work, and wouldn't want to blame individual users for expressing excitement about any given model.

Level 1
After the model is imported, how to make it grow a second head and a third head?thank you.