• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Msg System v1.5a With Color Codes

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Credits to me and MortAr- for this system.. MortAr- gave me most of the ideas.
When you type "@(player number msg will go to) (your msg)"
a message will be stored for the player in a variable for that player.

When you press [ESC] it will show you a dialog, when u press the dialog button labeled Open Inbox, you will be shown the last stored message for you. When you press the dialog button labeled Clear Inbox, it will clear all your messages stored for you. When you press the dialog button labeled Close, it will close the dialog.
If you change the MaxMsgs variable, you must edit the array size for each string variable that is labeled:
RedsMsgs
BluesMsgs
TealsMsgs
PurplesMsgs
YellowsMsgs
OrangesMsgs
GreensMsgs
PinksMsgs
GraysMsgs
LightbluesMsgs
DarkgreensMsgs
BrownsMsgs
to equal [Your desired # of messages].

v1.0 added system to hive
v1.1 added all 12 player, sumthin i forgot to do when i first uploaded this
v1.2 i believe i fixed the error i made in the system
v1.3 did not fix the error in v1.2, but i fixed the error in v1.3. it was where it wouldnt let the message be read by the player and returned a null value.
v1.4a added a CharMax, credits to "MortAr-", changed system to a dialog system. Alot of customizations available now.
v1.4b made it where every player had their own dialog.
v1.5 added color codes, and added a lil bit more to customize.
v1.5a switched around some actions to show the actual # of msgs a player has, instead of showing the actual # of msgs a player has +1.

+REP FOR PEOPLE THAT HELP YOU

Keywords:
Msg, Msgs, Message, Message System, Moon_Assailant, Moon, msging, Msges, Messaging, System, sys, BEASTLY,
Contents

MSG SYSTEM v1.5a (Map)

Reviews
18:47, 7th Dec 2009 TriggerHappy: Review for Msg System I honestly don't see the usefulness of this. If people have a message for someone in-game they can simply tell them. It's not like a chatroom or a forum where the person logs...

M

18:47, 7th Dec 2009
TriggerHappy:

Review for Msg System

I honestly don't see the usefulness of this. If people
have a message for someone in-game they can simply
tell them. It's not like a chatroom or a forum where the
person logs out and comes back in the check messages.

Unless you see some other (reasonable, good) use for this
I'm going to have to reject.

Status

Rejected

Level 6
You cannot send a message to yourself.
I have not had a chance to check this system with multiple people, but i think it works fine. You can use this to send a msg to a person that is afk, and when they come back, they can type @inbox and will see a msg u sent them. I will add more to this when i feel i have time.

edit: forgot to add 12 players.. they are now there on this update.

Last edited:
Level 6
this system is not useless, if sum1 goes afk, u can send a msg to them and they can view it. sometimes people dont want to take their time to open open the log or whatever. they can just check an inbox after they return to the game. but this system is not completed yet so i will finish after tonight. i thought it was done, but there was a bug that doesnt let u view to msg that was sent to u.

Level 9
this system is not useless, if sum1 goes afk, u can send a msg to them and they can view it. sometimes people dont want to take their time to open open the log or whatever. they can just check an inbox after they return to the game. but this system is not completed yet so i will finish after tonight. i thought it was done, but there was a bug that doesnt let u view to msg that was sent to u.

Thats not a bug man, thats a system epic fatal error.. ^^ Well, if you cant even see own massages its something wrong.. You should make the Multiboard Local so people can switch Multiboards.. You know that people with this system may want other Multiboards, and players dont want other players to switch their own multiboard, if you understand.. (Ive not checked code or anything, so i hope not all this things are in game alredy..)

DIDNT SEE BEFORE NOW:
Dont Multi-Upload files! You can use the "Update" button like everybody else! (where did i put my link to the tutorial...)
EDIT2 and a Half: Lol, my mistake, didnt see there are 3 different people uploading each their spell.. (But lol, 3 of same system by 3 different people on same page)

Last edited:
Level 6
shadeye, i think i get what ur saying, so u mean that when they press esc, it will show a msg in a multiboard, and when u press it again it will hide the multiboard for the player. i think i could make something like that.. but itd b easier with a leaderboard. I could probably get that done in the next 2 weeks cuz i will b doin projects and stuff for school.

I HAVE FINISHED MY SYSTEM AND IT WORKS JUST AS I DESIRED, I WILL SOON BE ADDING COLOR CODES TO THIS AND WILL TRY TO GET SHADEYE'S SUGGESTION DONE "A.S.A.P."

HAVE A HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!

images

Last edited:
Level 19
You could make it with an dialogues and use shadeye's example for the ESC thingy.

So when a player presses ESC a dialog pop-ups that has 2 buttons:

[ Inbox (Number of messages) ]

[ Close ]

Then, when the player clicks the "Inbox" button the dialog is closed and it shows the inbox messages in the same way like you when you type "@inbox".

Level 6
but depending on the MaxMsgs variable in the system, i dont think your screen can hold over 20 dialog buttons. im not sure, havent used a dialog in awhile. and im choosing between either using a multiboard, or a leaderboard for each player. If i use a multiboard, and i hide it from 1 player, will it hide the multiboard from all players?

Level 19
No, no no... you didn't understand me right...
When you hit ESC it displays the dialog with 2 buttons, the first button shows "Inbox (NUMBER OF MESSAGES)" thats only the INTEGER number, you don't need to make 20 buttons for each message.

You can make every multiboard local for each player, and yes, when its local you can show/hide the board only for the specified player.

Level 19
It displays lets say:

@<PlayerName>: <Message>
@<PlayerName>: <Message>

Where player names has a specified player color so the player won't be confused and has to check the player names.

And with that, you must make somekind of a limit of characters in a message, lets say 50 or 100, b/c players may f**k arround with the system and just spam the player with messages, also you can put a capacity of messages send from player to player (lets 3 messages per 60 min), and the counter restart every X minutes.

Level 19
Yes, basically every player must have its own dialog, or the dialogues will mess up if 2 or more players hits escape.

I also came up with that:
When a player hit ESC, a dialog appears with title "Inbox Messages (Number Of Messages)", and 2 buttons that says "Open Messages or Open Inbox" and "Close"

With this and the character/message capacity, it will become awesome system.

Edit: You can add a third button saying "Clear Inbox" so the veriables can be cleared and prevent memory leaks/bug/lags.

@MortAr-: You got some great ideas that Moon_assailant just have to do! :)

Thank you, I hope he will implement them.

Moon_assailant said:
i like the idea about the char max and the counter.

Thank you.

Level 6
i thought of a way to use 1 dialog, and 3 dialog buttons using 1 init trigger, and 3 trigger functions, but they will use if/then/else action.. is that a good idea?

Edit1:
READ DESCRIPTION FOR UPDATE:
with the timer though.. if you only had 6 msgs a player could send every minute, it would kinda suck, so i put it to 20 as default. And as for the color codes.. i havent added them yet, but they will be put in the system soon.

Last edited:
Level 9
i thought of a way to use 1 dialog, and 3 dialog buttons using 1 init trigger, and 3 trigger functions, but they will use if/then/else action.. is that a good idea?

Edit1:
READ DESCRIPTION FOR UPDATE:
with the timer though.. if you only had 6 msgs a player could send every minute, it would kinda suck, so i put it to 20 as default. And as for the color codes.. i havent added them yet, but they will be put in the system soon.

can you post code here? Im not so sure this is MUI :/

Level 6
added dialog for each player. i still gotta make the color codes.. i cant do it right now :/
yamigosaya said:
nice system 5/5 And By The Way How Did You Change the Skin in the Screenshot?
i used the war3 styler in the tools category. its pretty cool :)
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/tools-560/wc3styler-135628/

edit1: ADDED COLOR CODES AND A LIL BIT MORE TO CUSTOMIZE!! check it out ;)

Last edited:
Level 19
Yes I do have an idea, but I think it will be hard for you to make it...

So heres the deal, player 1 (red) sends a message to player 2 (blue) with an ATTACHED item to it. So when player 1 (red) opens the messsage from player 2 (blue) it also displays him that theres an attached item to it.

And only thing is, I can't came up with an idea how to actually open the attachment and see what the players sends to each other.

Maybe you will find a way to do this? :=)

Or you can make an additional storage value for the attachments that a player receive and put in the main dialog after the "Clear Inbox" button saying "Attachments (Number of Attachments)" and again another button with "Destroy Attachments"

Therefor when a player with attachments click the button it opens another dialog where every button into it will refer to an attachment, and here, I suggest you to limit the number of attachments to 6 or 10 because of the spammers. Every attachment has its own button and the button is with the name of ATTACHED item that player 1 (red) has send to player 2 (blue)

Then when a player clicks any of the attachement(s) an item appears in some point (lets say in the starting city or the current team base) where only Player 2 (blue) is able to pick this item.

So basically, here you will combine 2 systems into 1 (sending messages with storage values and sending items with storage values)

Level 10
I like the concept to it for messaging. If only you could save this and transfer to games or leave it for sum1 else to load up a code to check their inbox. I doubt you could do either.

I'm sry to get off topic but where did u get the killer looking template for editor

Level 6
anachron said:
To the system: As some already mentioned, its mostly useless.
i "think", not totally sure, but i think that they realized it had a use, because they were giving suggestions for this system in later posts.
I'm sry to get off topic but where did u get the killer looking template for editor
i used the war3 styler in the tools category. its pretty cool :)
Wc3styler

Level 4
i think this should be approved, idk if u people notice but alot of games dont use regular bnet chat, and there is not chatlog for them, so this can be usefull but i dont think dialog would be the best solution because dialogs get in the way imo, maybe a multiboard or just a game msg