• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mountain Giants Tree texture Problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Hello guys pls... look at the picture below.

Pic. 1.jpg

As you can see the Mountain Giant is holding a White Tree as a weapon, does any one saw this before its weird right? I put the ''Stand Upgrade in the Required Animation Names'' field so his automatically like that without having him to use the ''War Club Abilty''. Now the problem is the tree texture is not showing, until he uses the ''War Club Abilty'' the tree regains its natural texture. My question is, how can I make the tree texture not white and regain its natural texture without having the ''Mountain Giant'' use the ''War Club Abilty''?

Level 9
I think you have to edit the model to do that.

Since the war club use a replaceable texture, it will first get its texture when you target a tree. If you look at the war club ability, you may see there is a field that tells wich replacableID it use (I think its 31 or 32).

If you then look at at tree in the object editor, you can see it also have a replaceableID field.

This is actually really cool, because we can use this method to make a unit switch texture. So one model, can switch texture.

But back to your question. You have to convert the model to .mdl format, and change the material (texture) from replacable, to the path of the skin you want. Then convert it back to .mdx and import the model.

Alternative you can create a trigger that add the war club ability. Force the unit to target a tree, and remove the ability again.

Level 13
I think you have to edit the model to do that.

Since the war club use a replaceable texture, it will first get its texture when you target a tree. If you look at the war club ability, you may see there is a field that tells wich replacableID it use (I think its 31 or 32).

If you then look at at tree in the object editor, you can see it also have a replaceableID field.

This is actually really cool, because we can use this method to make a unit switch texture. So one model, can switch texture.

But back to your question. You have to convert the model to .mdl format, and change the material (texture) from replacable, to the path of the skin you want. Then convert it back to .mdx and import the model.

Alternative you can create a trigger that add the war club ability. Force the unit to target a tree, and remove the ability again.

I dont see any replaceableID field in the War Club ability, only destructible doodads have them I think. Do you mind showing me the trigger?

pIC. 2.png pls look at the picture

And also I just wanted to ask guys how can I make an aura appear. As you can see in the picture the custom passive ability is base on the Mountain Giant's ''Hardened'' ability, I wanted to make an aura appear as what pointed in the picture so that the player will know that their attacks will be reduced when they attack this hero. Well to be honest im not sure if its an aura that I wanted becuz it must not benefit other units as well, I just want an ''ICON'' appear there. Seeing that this hero is equip with a full metal armor, all attacks made on him will be reduce to NOTHING! :ogre_haosis:

Last edited:
Level 13
For the Aura, you can add a dummy Buff. Look at the sample map uploaded.

Tnx it is working right now, I hope someone would figure out my problem on the Mountain Giant. Also I remember in DOTA that Tiny the Stone Giant, whenever you build Aghanim's Scepter on him he automatically switch to that stand upgrade which he attacks using the tree and the tree isn't white. I guess they edited the Mountain Giant model or they used a trigger, I wonder how they did that :vw_wtf:

Level 13
But icefrog did not alter the mountain giant model in Dota.

If you can, try exporting the original mountain giant model and compare it to your model. Look for textures and animations.

The Mountain Giant in my screenshot is just a skin, I also try not using the skin but the normal Mountain Giant is really like that. Still white tree texture until it uses the Warclub Ability the tree regains its texture.

Level 22
The Mountain Giant in my screenshot is just a skin, I also try not using the skin but the normal Mountain Giant is really like that. Still white tree texture until it uses the Warclub Ability the tree regains its texture.

I get what you mean. I tested it and the trees appear white when the stand upgrade animation is used. I'll try to find a solution.

Level 13
Here take a look at this.

To add the tree in his hand, just press escape.

Well its true the tree texture is not white, but is it possible to make the tree texture not white when the Mountain Giant is trained? I put stand upgrade on him so his already carrying a tree when his trained. Problem is the tree is white.

Level 22
I notice a lot of things but its ok I can live with that, Ill copy the trigger now. Btw can I reward you with 10,000 rep? Cuz I will give you if its possible :ogre_haosis: Tnx for helping my friend.

You're welcome. What you noticed might be the mountain giant casting the war club ability.

I think the only way to put a texture on the tree is to use the warclub. Because the appearance of the tree being held maybe dependent on the targeted tree using warclub. Maybe it is hardcoded.

Last edited:
Level 13
Your welcome. What you noticed might be the mountain giant casting the war club ability.

I think the only way to put a texture on the tree is to use the warclub. Because the appearance of the tree being held maybe dependent on the targeted tree using warclub. Maybe its harcoded.

Yeah that is maybe, the only clean way I think is by editing the model itself but I dont want to add another kb just for that. I notice the white tree gaining its original texture very fast, the unit cast the war club ability and the decaying tree. But I can live with that, besides it looks cool to me that it shows a giant automatically equiping a tree right in front of him. :ogre_haosis:

Level 22
Look at my uploaded map. Look at the Destructables and notice that I edited a certain tree's shadow and death sound. if that tree is not being used in your map, edit that certain tree in your map to make it less noticeable by removing the shadow and sound. If that tree is being used, use another tree for the mountain giants to cast warclub on. You will need to edit the trigger with CreateDestructable if that is the case.

Level 13
Look at my uploaded map. Look at the Destructables and notice that I edited a certain tree's shadow and death sound. if that tree is not being used in your map, edit that certain tree in your map to make it less noticeable by removing the shadow and sound. If that tree is being used, use another tree for the mountain giants to cast warclub on. You will need to edit the trigger with CreateDestructable if that is the case.

Tnx dude Ill change it right away...

Status
Not open for further replies.