• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Moderator asking for help! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sup lovely faces!

Long story short = I've been promoted to moderator of the ''Art and graphic design'' section and I want to make it great!

So here's my first question = why are you here? ,

^
Trying to understand what attracts people to this section of the hive.
(aka= what drags you here? You like seing people's drawing I presume? how about posting your own? Did you come here because of a specific hiver? etc.)

Second question = What would you like to see here?

Wierd question, I know, I expect = ''cool drawings'' as an answer... but my point is = would you like access to tutorials? links to profesionnal artist's page? How about daily paint challenges? etc.

Third question = any ideas/comments/etc to improve this forum's section?.

Let me know what you guys want and let's build something for you all to enjoy :D

Last edited:
Level 15
omg Master Goblin, you are a moderator!!! I didnt know that.

Hmm... i will be the first guy answer this yay

First. Why am I here?
As you see I posting my stuff here. I also have Deviantart and Instagram, but I really lazy to upload on those place. Mosly I only got around 7 random likes in there, and got no feedback. While in here, I can can some comments and critique(which is what I really want Xp).
I also know most people in here, its good to have some friends commenting my drawing (my irl friends not really insterested in art) . And, I like to see other developing artist here.
And I have this thought. This section is kinda not so active. Actually that made me lazy to post. then I thought, maybe other people also think like that. so i need to post my stuff, then it can make other people post their stuff too.

Second. What would i like to see here?
I dont know :p Well, I didnt read tutorial and hunt artist for quite long time. That challenge sound interesting though, but i am not sure. last time I made weekly challenge, its only survive 2 weeks.

Third.
None. damn i am useless. hmm... I will tell you once i got some idea.

(sorry my bad english)

omg Master Goblin, you are a moderator!!! I didnt know that.

Hmm... i will be the first guy answer this yay

First. Why am I here?
As you see I posting my stuff here. I also have Deviantart and Instagram, but I really lazy to upload on those place. Mosly I only got around 7 random likes in there, and got no feedback. While in here, I can can some comments and critique(which is what I really want Xp).
I also know most people in here, its good to have some friends commenting my drawing (my irl friends not really insterested in art) . And, I like to see other developing artist here.
And I have this thought. This section is kinda not so active. Actually that made me lazy to post. then I thought, maybe other people also think like that. so i need to post my stuff, then it can make other people post their stuff too.

Second. What would i like to see here?
I dont know :p Well, I didnt read tutorial and hunt artist for quite long time. That challenge sound interesting though, but i am not sure. last time I made weekly challenge, its only survive 2 weeks.

Third.
None. damn i am useless. hmm... I will tell you once i got some idea.

(sorry my bad english)

Thank you for your lovely reply!

Created myself a google drive sheet with all the answers you wrote down... once more people will have commented, I'll try to pinpoint the major points/ideas and build from it.

ALright! Since I want this conversation to go forward and I'm hoping someone will read this and approve... here's my ideas

-Keep hosting Concept-art competitons = because people like participating and watching, it's a fact.

-Live streaming events = I'll explore the ''twitch'' platform and see if I could do some livestreaming... that would allow me to do many things. First idea that comes to mind = invite users so send me their drawings and critique them while doing paint overs. Second idea that comes to mind = concept-art process breakdown (I'll draw from scratch a theme you'll give me and explore the trials and errors of the concept-art creation process)

-Artist highlights = just like the ''Complete list of terraining thread'', have a list of all the artists that would want to sudmit their name and have a link towards their Hive profile, their Hive thread and their other channels (facebook page, youtube, deviantart, etc.) Once in a while, create an interview with one of the users.

-Brush thread = update this thread http://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads/photoshop-image-ready-websites.30539/ to have a better and more clear visual.

^^^^^

this is what I have in mind so far. any thoughts?

Last edited:
As a not so frequent visitor and poster of the art section, I want to apologize beforehand if I am/I've missing/missed some points.

-Keep hosting Concept-art competitions = because people like participating and watching, it's a fact.

Agreed. We can see from the last one how successful it really was. I mean 19 final entries. Some were really crazy and amazing in composition, theme and design choice. I would even go there and say that not the proper contests are slow but the polls, theme discussion/polls and the results.

Those take awhile, almost 2 or 3 months in total. Time, which in my view could be used for smaller scope one such as mini-concept-art contest or fan-art ones. An example of such an idea can be seen there.

It was a pretty fine one I must say.

-Artist highlights = just like the ''Complete list of terraining thread'', have a list of all the artists that would want to submit their name and have a link towards their Hive profile, their Hive thread and their other channels (facebook page, youtube, deviantart, etc.) Once in a while, create an interview with one of the users.

On top of that, I would personally highlight a monthly/weekly part in such a thread for artists that show and perform quite a lot.
Such factors could even boost confidence and attract more to their thread thus it would bring them possible feedback/source of improvement.
This would add the much needed dynamism for this section.

-Brush thread = update this thread http://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads/photoshop-image-ready-websites.30539/ to have a better and more clear visual.

So much YES to that <3

Once in a while, create an interview with one of the users.

Ghost765 and PeeKay are fine examples that would be worthy at taking interviews from.

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
why are you here?
I love and live for art.
What would you like to see here?
Art.
any ideas/comments/etc to improve this forum's section?.
Anyone who can be helpful with tutorials and whatever else that broadens the artistic horizon of fellows of this forum, is more than welcomed here.

my irl friends not really insterested in art
Just some of mine are interested in the classical one but it looks as if it's to boast about having knowledge about it than actually having an artistic touch themselves.
Someone has to start or give a poke to the wheels of the mechanism from time to time. Other times, people will become aware of things after a whole deal of time. That means late, even after you'll probably be dead. The ugly part of reality is that not rarely, most people will not care, bother or ever come in contact with things.

-Keep hosting Concept-art competitons = because people like participating and watching, it's a fact.
People like bread and circuses.
-Live streaming events
This is neat. However, I'm not a streamer fan myself.
-Artist highlights
That's self esteem raising.

All in all, my main artistic experience is not drawing or visual arts, so, my opinion quotient on this matter is really low.

1. I am here to observe, review and rate other people's art, aswell as check what people think about my own art.
2. I expect to see a constantly flowing resources, useful and creative ideas that are often well (and sometimes not so well) executed and people's input on said art. I'd like to see people improve and care about their art, aswell as that of others. I also expect to see a well organized section where everything is where it should be and is easy to find (something I can't say about the current resources section)
3. Why are the submissions (pending stuff) in a different category? Only a few people ever check there and it's unlikely that a pending model will recieve any constructive criticism beside the moderator's own and have a chance to improve. It was better when pending and approved models were together. Also maybe it's just that I'm not used to this new design, but it seems like a really bad choice to put the search and filter bars on the left side of the page, it just feels so unnatural and weird. A saying I've heard before is "Don't fix what isn't broken.". I'd very much like to see said bar back on the right side of the page. Also why was the option of seeing more resources per page removed? IMO it was incredibly useful, I'd like to see it back. That's all of my suggestions on improving the resources section :)

3. Why are the submissions (pending stuff) in a different category? Only a few people ever check there and it's unlikely that a pending model will recieve any constructive criticism beside the moderator's own and have a chance to improve. It was better when pending and approved models were together. Also maybe it's just that I'm not used to this new design, but it seems like a really bad choice to put the search and filter bars on the left side of the page, it just feels so unnatural and weird. A saying I've heard before is "Don't fix what isn't broken.". I'd very much like to see said bar back on the right side of the page. Also why was the option of seeing more resources per page removed? IMO it was incredibly useful, I'd like to see it back. That's all of my suggestions on improving the resources section :)

Thanks a lot for your input, although this section concerns the ressources and not this forum's section.. that being said, I'll transfer your comment to a 2D ressource moderator. cheers! :D

Free Photoshop Brush packs Doing my job, one step at a time :D.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 24
Congrats Mr Goblin :)

Now for the first question:

First. Why am I here?

I think I have mostly the same answer as Ace here,

For the second question:

I'd like to see here the Arts of users, find some inspirational pieces to make me improve myself and yeah again, art

Third:

? :" (no idea, probably Unofficial contests?)

Btw, the PS brushes are handy, but broken Images.

Level 16
why are you here? ,
To post art and see art. That's pretty much it.

Well, like you said, challenges, tips and tricks, highlights, help/critique section, etc.

This is kinda the same as the 2nd question. :wink:

Level 18
why are you here? ,

Mostly to see art but I'll post some one day even if I don't have the same level :D

I like the idea of a daily challenge ! and I think that tutorials made by proffesionnal or talented people could be really useful !

Well... no sorry :S

I like the idea of a daily challenge ! and I think that tutorials made by proffesionnal or talented people could be really useful ![/COLOR]]

I'll try to make a clear tutorial section as well, only put those I read and learned from, ya know so that way I don't just post random shit that has ''tutorial'' on it.

Moy

Moy

Level 49
That should be answered by either Ralle or Archian. They're the one who are maintaining the site. And I also saw that the sections are not yet on their final layout.

Level 28
1. Here as in THW or this forum?
Entered the Hive cuz Warcraft 3 modding, stayed cuz friends and best site I've ever found.
I don't often visit the art forums now though, as THW isn't the best art community (obviously because it's not an art site).

2. I'd like to see THW art related stuff grow to a professional art forum level but it's hard to push for this in a site for Warcraft 3.

3. Lets talk about the problems and search for solutions.

______First of all, only a small percent of the members of Hive are interested in 2D Art. Second of all, those that are, are divided in ones aspiring to become professional artists and hobbyists. The hobbyists you cannot expect to participate in weekly contests and be very active in the art section, understandably.

I tried hosting unofficial contests and starting threads with tutorials and it didn't lead to anywhere. Granted, I wasn't very famous or much of a leader to inspire people like a Ralle or Mr.Goblin would ( :cgrin: dammit ) and I too became lazy and inactive quickly, but I doubt we would see many entries weekly even if Raymond Swanland hosted the contests. It's just not an art site. And in fact, I've seen this method fail in several dedicated art sites as well so it's not a very productive way to go about increasing activity.

______ Live streams is a thing I haven't seen much but I would recommend Google Hangout-ing instead. True, it requires that people install a few stuff beforehand but looking at someone livestream is not nearly as entertaining as being able to talk with him while watching. Or drawing on your own instead and just being in the hangout. Chatting will not do though, only talking will be able to keep people active enough, I've been in several hangout groups and even the most active one slowly failed and became very.. inactive. I'm still in touch with the people I know better though so I suppose that counts for something. I'm guessing what I'm trying to say here is that for a strong art community you need strong bonds between people to get them to see each other on a daily/weekly basis and draw. Hobbyists fall out here though. No offense, I myself am a hobbyist writer, I've even read many tutorials on it, but I would still never enter a writing group. I'm just guessing it would be similar for other hobbyists here, I could be wrong. My point is, don't expect huge activity from these people even if you host the best contests possible because they would rather be spending their time on other more important for them stuff.

______So you're left with a very small community of people to up the level of the art forums in Hive and I'm not sure they/we've got what it takes. The price would be following an art schedule of hours of work per day, joining hangoutses often, weekly contests voted for in 1 day (knowing the pace of voting in Hive xD...) a general motivation to become the best artist in a certain field. That being said, I'm talking about a tiger's leap here, not just having a contest once per month, since I myself do not really care whether the contests are hosted once or thrice per year, I will continue joining them from time to time to get active in Hive, but not because I consider them great. They are a lot of fun though, don't get me wrong.

______In conclusion, the main issue is keeping the bond between people active really, even if you don't aim for a professional art community but just an active hobbyist one. It's much easier for me to meet with my real life friends every other week than it is in a site community. I'm guessing everyone here has felt that (just check your friends list on hive and you will probably discover people you barely remember) but as I said, there are a few ways to get to know people better, a few of them being talking through hangoutses, having a skype group and mainly just seeing a point in this whole thing. That is why I believe non-aspiring artists will not be active for long since they have no end goal in this, there is no need for them to draw 3+ hours a day and meet with other artists to get their skill to a higher level. To keep interest going on, one must first have it and that does not depend on anything you can do as a moderator, it just depends on the count of your aspiring artists community. You can say that some of the hobbyists could potentially get interested in becoming artists but in the few cases I have seen it, it didn't last long.

Side Note: I don't get why "Art and Graphic designs" is encompassing the 2D Arts. Why isn't it just named 2D Art? Graphic design is a branch of art, not the whole tree.

Level 28
First of all, I must admit, this thread got me really hyped with the idea of a more active art forum heheh

why are you here?

Checking other people's art, for the sake of viewing pleasure and getting references (drawing style, composition, etc). Also general talking with the users: the fact that here we ~kinda know~ each other gives a much more familiar feeling than following someone on deviantart. Idk, this is a very "cozy" community (lol) so it is kinda much more enjoyable to see each other's art than other sites.

Personal galleries, art discussion, plus I would love to see any (if not all) of the ideas you brought to us here - tutorial threads, daily paint challenge, live streaming, interviews, etc. But as morbent said, this is a complicated subject.

Okay, my suggestions on things you said plus some other suggestions:
  • Paint challenges: every 1-2 weeks, not daily, because hobbyists and other people would tend to get exhausted and give up/lose interest if the time is too short;
  • Livestreaming: I really enjoyed that idea. I fear that frequent streaming would be boring for those who aren't hobbyists, plus it can become too much of a burden to you (or the other people who'll execute it) while you would face a natural loss of interest along time. So I thought of less often livestreaming where you can do what you said ("invite users to send me their drawings and critique them while doing paint overs"), but focusing more on the talking than the drawing (as morbent said that it tends to get boring to watchers);
  • Artists highlights: that'd be awesome, specially the interviews with our members. I'd love to learn more about them, their inspirations and their commentary on their own work. You can even get a 1st page news post with that, bringing much more attention to this forum;
  • Brush thread: no, this idea sucks. Just kidding, I don't even have to comment on how useful and nice it would be;
  • Notifications: all these things happening would certainly bring more activity in here, but only if people know something's going on. Maybe using those rotating dark-green baloons on the top of the page advertising some of those events that wouldn't be big enough for a 1st page news post? Things like a biweekly paint challenge, for example. However this can be talked about later;
  • Pass-along drawing: we managed to get a some cool results with that in the terraining board, it would hurt to try here and it was really nice;
  • Character development, concept creation, etc: threads regarding topics like these instead of regular *user's showcase* are something that would be cool to see every once in a while. I miss this kind of discussion in every site to be honest. Like, people discussing aspects of some game, film or tv show's visual identity, or character design and why they like or dislike it, their personal favourites and their reasons, and so on. Even in art dedicated websites I don't see it too often;
  • I remember Pyritie used to log in some website where he drew online simultaneously with Werewulf and other users back in 2007~2010, and it looked like it was really fun. They would open threads or say in chatroom that they were doing it, and then submit the results in a thread here. I think they called that "open canvas" or something. We can maybe try that in a more organized way, as our kind of "funmap evening event" =P
That's it! I really liked your initiative, it'd be really nice if these plans actually work =D Who knows.

Level 28
Well, regarding your last point Naze, I don't know what exactly that is (although it sounds promising), but I've used Google Hangouts (as I mentioned above) to connect with Sycra Forum and CAS users and it works well enough (the screenshare falls behind sometimes and your microphone often unmutes for no goddamn reason but it's good enough). I should add that there's a limit of 10 people at a time in one group but I doubt that would be problematic, we probably won't be able to get to the limit with the time differences and all.

Also, I believe contacting mainly through forums has the huge disadvantage of slow responses which tend to make people less active and inspired. An open skype group seems like the best option to me, but I'm hoping it won't render the forums a bit useless as I saw it happen with CAS (an art site). CAS has no VMs or any way to connect with people unlike the Hive though so I'm just sharing my experience here, it will probably work out differently in Hive if we get a skype group since contests and such will still have to be hosted here and thus keep the forums active enough for new people to see and enter.

First of all, thank you all for answering and taking the time to do so :D Second = here's what I think I'll do.

========================
Free brush packs = Free Photoshop Brush packs simple reminder, I already started it. My goal is to reach 50 links. Once completed I'll jump into an other moderating projects. :)

Skype/Google hangout group = Skype groups tends to get really crowded and unproductive and silly really really fast + it pollutes really fast your skype (constant +1 messages in your inbox that keeps poping) Personnally I'm not a fan.... beside, we already have a fonctionnal and awesome working chat. I invite you to post your art and ask for feedbacks there in the meantime. Concerning google hangout = I think it's a great idea! I personnally use it on a daily basis and it's not a hard thing to do. I'll make sure to have a talk with Archian or Ralle about the subject, to see if we could create and maintain our own channel.

Livestreaming events = I think it would indeed be interresting to host ''specials'' google hangout events once the channel is up... instead of having a twitch channel. Some kind of montly ''get together events'' where I would, (as promised) go over sudmitted artworks and critique them.

Since such things requires someshort of structure beforehand= I'll create a thread that would allow everyone of us to keep track on what's going on and = what happened in previous events. I'm thinking = a special thread where people would post their artworks and where I would gather my paint overs with comments on the top/starting post.

Obviously, this will be a lot of work... so I think to do montly events = with perhaps only 10 paint-overs per events where I would spend 10-20 minutes per piece each time= sounds good. + this gathering would allow us to have at least 1 active google hangout day per month. Which would be a usefull plateau to simply keep a constant flow in the channel. Sounds good? :D

Daily/monthly challenges = What I like about this idea is that = it's not time consuming for me (ha! at least I'm honest) Since it's not a competition that requires polls and judging and calculation etc, but mostly just a moshpit of creativity from all the different users. If you guys are up for it= I will soon create a thread. Every month I'll post a new theme and at the start of every new challenge, I'll compile the sudmitted drawings on the front/first post of the previous challenges... :D

Tutorials= This one will be updated slowly. Everytime I will stumble on an interresting and informative tutorial I'll update it to a created thread. (Might merge that with the Free brush packs, to keep all in a simple link) and if you guys have great tutorials to sudmit I'll add the link to the front post.

I'll ask people to sudmit the artist's name, and a link to their tutorial.
==========================

It's all I've got so far! :D

So first thing first = Finish the free brush packs.... in the mean time= start the monthly challenges... like tonight, I'll start making the thread.
Edit = here... First draft

Once the free brush packs is finish I'll start investigating and i'll clean up the Tutorials sections.

and after a while, (if people are participating enough in the art and graphical design forum section) with the new monthly challenges and their personnal art thread, I'll have a talk with Ralle and Archian for a google hangout server.(because a montly fee is required to keep it up.. which you know, I want to make sure we'll use it well!)

+ Once the monthly challenges are running well, soon enough awesome hivers artists will pop out! = allowing me to spot who would be worthy of an interview... BAM! I'm so smart! :D high-five self!

how about that? :D

=================================================

First of all, I must admit, this thread got me really hyped with the idea of a more active art forum heheh

Glad to hear that :D

• Notifications: all these things happening would certainly bring more activity in here, but only if people know something's going on. Maybe using those rotating dark-green baloons on the top of the page advertising some of those events that wouldn't be big enough for a 1st page news post? Things like a biweekly paint challenge, for example. However this can be talked about later;
Great idea! i'll make sure to keep in touch with the team to make it happen. Thinking of facebook and twitters post as well :D

• Pass-along drawing: we managed to get a some cool results with that in the terraining board, it would hurt to try here and it was really nice;
Interresting idea! Not sure how it would work out though :O But I won't stop you to start a thread if you're up for it! :D

• Character development, concept creation, etc: threads regarding topics like these instead of regular *user's showcase* are something that would be cool to see every once in a while. I miss this kind of discussion in every site to be honest. Like, people discussing aspects of some game, film or tv show's visual identity, or character design and why they like or dislike it, their personal favourites and their reasons, and so on. Even in art dedicated websites I don't see it too often;
nothing is stoping you to start such a conversation! :D I,ll keep this in mind though, for the tutorial section, think I'll add artist's interviews as well, that might start interresting conversations! :D

• I remember Pyritie used to log in some website where he drew online simultaneously with Werewulf and other users back in 2007~2010, and it looked like it was really fun. They would open threads or say in chatroom that they were doing it, and then submit the results in a thread here. I think they called that "open canvas" or something. We can maybe try that in a more organized way, as our kind of "funmap evening event" =P
I remember these days! :D lovely idea! but I'm a tad scared of exposing people to bugs and virus

Last edited:
Level 28
The chat seems like a good option actually, I hadn't thought about that, the only problem is that people aren't always there (like in skype) and that there will be others as well, so if we're gonna be talking about art it might spam the chat for the rest. How are you going to tell people stuff like "lets hangout and draw", you'd have to hope they would be in the chat or just wait till the end of the month when an official hangouts is hosted. And on a side note, you can mute messages in skype if you find it annoying /alertsoff, I think it was, but still be able to check them manually, so to speak, and not miss out on events.

Regarding the tutorials, you can assume control over this thread Art Tutorials/Books/etc. (or I'll update it myself, it definitely needs to be reordered to make it more approachable anyway) since many people have already proposed lots of tutorials there.

GunSlinger, can you name some of these alternatives?

The chat seems like a good option actually, I hadn't thought about that, the only problem is that people aren't always there (like in skype) and that there will be others as well, so if we're gonna be talking about art it might spam the chat for the rest. How are you going to tell people stuff like "lets hangout and draw", you'd have to hope they would be in the chat or just wait till the end of the month when an official hangouts is hosted. And on a side note, you can mute messages in skype if you find it annoying /alertsoff, I think it was, but still be able to check them manually, so to speak, and not miss out on events.

hum, on facebook it'S easy = you simply post that you're hanging out in the google hangout and normally after 10minutes a few people shows up. But the hive doesn't quite have that.... unless we create a thread that will allow people spamming = ''sub I'm in the chat, come and join me!'' then yeah sure! it will work. (but once again, this google hangout/livestreaming idea will be the last project on this list, I first want to make sure hivers are active in the art and graphical design forum. :D

Regarding the tutorials, you can assume control over this thread Art Tutorials/Books/etc. (or I'll update it myself, it definitely needs to be reordered to make it more approachable anyway) since many people have already proposed lots of tutorials there.

please be my guess! First start by removing all the broken links! :D then we could talk about updating it with new contant and a better, more simple to understand visual.

Level 16
GunSlinger, can you name some of these alternatives?
Anondraw - Has a limitless canvas but limited tools for drawing. It has a chat window too. It has limited ink but it isn't really a huge problem since it replenishes or you can open a new window.
MultiDraw - Has a very small canvas(800x800) but has more functionality than AnonDraw.
CoPainter - Rather simple. Has no chat window and only has 2 brushes.

Yeah. Not really as good as their downloaded counterparts. AnonDraw is probably the best. If you guys want more functionality then installing a program is a must. I recommend DrawPile since it's constantly updated and has a lot of features including recording and playback.

Ok... firstly, I assume the message I got on my profile was like an automated message or something. If not, why would you send ME a message to see this thread. You KNOW I dont hang around here.

Anyways. Not actually answering is rude. so.

1. Why are you here? - I cant answer. Cos I am not
2/3 What would you like to see here?/Any ideas or comment
Honestly, host frequent group activities. Small group activities, choose a theme(dont do a polling to choose a theme that takes 2 weeks to decide), do an artwork within the week. Host it weekly, improve each other's skills. If someone is too busy the one week, they can just attend the next one.

Same thing. Host short, to-a-point art contests. Dont have these dumb contests like the modelling contests that gets extended 7 times so the whole contests takes 4 months to finish. Finish the whole thing under a month. 2 weeks of work. 2 weeks of polling and judging. Quick and fast.

These two, arent going to be done willynilly. I dont know what the community is right now. And I dont know who the new "c00l gang" or the "jury" members are, but if there are no people to show initiative and push this, then it aint going to work. It aint going to work cos I was part of one before and it didnt work. It cant be one person doing all the shit, promoting all the shit. Get people working and hyped up.

In regards to using some sort of group chat thing. DO NOT use skype. skype is bloated and it sucks and works very slow on phone. It also needs downloads and the voicechat lags.
The thing to use is Discord discordapp.com. Discord works for both browser and app. Discord allows textchat, voice chat. Make an official room and chat there for extra chatting. Anyone who feel adventurous, I am currently in https://discord.gg/CXYrsYZ which is filled with people who was once from hive but have left. You are welcome to come in, stay for 5 minute, and then leave in anger.
If you NEED screen to be shared, then use google Hangout. I've only used that once tho but seems to work well enough for art purposes. Go annoy Ghost765 in regards to this.
And that's it.

Level 15
I tried Discord 2 days ago. Interface is much better than Skype, and its easy to register too.

I am supporting all great ideas here, i'll put my thought here soon, still building up my words (just want to inform that i didnt ignore this thread, still building up my thought)

Ok... firstly, I assume the message I got on my profile was like an automated message or something. If not, why would you send ME a message to see this thread. You KNOW I dont hang around here.

It wasn't, I saw you were online... you're a member who participates/participated in the 2D art section of the hive... so ya know wanted your opinion too!. :O

Thanks for your answer, I'll see for Discord. What I know so far is that we want to keep the activity witing the hiveworkshop, so it might wait a little... same thing for the livestreaming/google hangout ideas.

I'll keep you guys updated for the rest :D

I salute your initiative for reviving the art forum! :)
I come here from time to time to admire hivers' art.
Still, a few people make art here and their efforts deserve to be welcomed.
I'd like to see more people drawing.
Mainly, this is the place where anyone can share his/her drawings. But, for keeping this forum alive, it does not suffice to only post drawings.
I think it's also a place where feedback is desired, a place where some people can share their experience(giving advice and making demonstrations), they can give ideas and suggestions about tools, tutorials, art pages, etc., others can learn how to improve their skills, others just can admire the work pieces and encourage the creators in their way.
Of course, organized events(like mini-contests and challenges) can help if they are well promoted, to capture people's interest.
Also, a sticky thread with the events that occurred can be created. Maybe an art gallery, as well.
And this thread(that was stickied once) - Concept Art Mini-Contests: The Victorious, could be improved/updated.
Besides involvement, all these require time, free time.
But, imo, even more than free time, i think people need encouragement(this could work as an extra motivation, sometimes). :)

I salute your initiative for reviving the art forum! :)

Thanks!

I think it's also a place where feedback is desired, a place where some people can share their experience(giving advice and making demonstrations), they can give ideas and suggestions about tools, tutorials, art pages, etc., others can learn how to improve their skills, others just can admire the work pieces and encourage the creators in their way.

This is the main reason why I felt google hangout

Of course, organized events(like mini-contests and challenges) can help if they are well promoted, to capture people's interest.
Also, a sticky thread with the events that occurred can be created. Maybe an art gallery, as well.
And this thread(that was stickied once) - Concept Art Mini-Contests: The Victorious, could be improved/updated.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/pastebin/199f3a314d7cab4992e9f14070d5ce356717/ already started working on a Mini challenge thread... I'll post it soon enough with the revealed theme :)

Besides involvement, all these require time, free time.

ya! don't expect to do everything in 1 go, mostly 1 day at a time. One project at the time as well.... give me a few weeks and this forum should be completly revamped :D

Level 15
Okay, after reading this thread for long time, i finally able to organize my words here. My writing skillz is suck zzz. And I realized that my most ideas are gone while i type this -_-

I see most people here recommend to make mini contest, well, glad you already develop it, Master Goblin :D But, of course, this will make long journey. As morbent said, he tried to make one in past and not survive for long time. I actually also made one a year ago, a weekly challenges. Only survived 3 weeks, because lack of participants and that also made me really lay to continue it. And I pass it to Greenix (??? forgot the name), only survived a couple weeks too. But I believe if you made it, it will be better!!

Hmm... just checked those two weekly challenges. This will make drawing more fun. You we know each other drawing on same type, not just usual random drawing we made here. And more people posting there too (they didnt make thread here, but they posting their weekly challenges entry). If its more organized, i bet this will be super success. I believe in you Master Goblin :D
(damn i feel so awesome now because i made that weekly challenge, although its failed)
Check this two threads
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/posts/2602493/
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/posts/2617166/

And then, about tutorials. I really love it. I kust day that finding good tutorials is really hard for me. I believe you as a master have some awesome tutorials and some other recommendations. Artist recommendations, work progress, and other stuff like people said previously are totally awesome too. This will help developing artist like me.

About what naze said, I really like to have some character design discussion. Recently I tried to research more character design to improve my OCs. This will help us understand more about design.

Good luck with your work Master Goblin! I bet this will be success and awesome!!

1. Why are you here? - I cant answer. Cos I am not
2/3 What would you like to see here?/Any ideas or comment
Honestly, host frequent group activities. Small group activities, choose a theme(dont do a polling to choose a theme that takes 2 weeks to decide), do an artwork within the week. Host it weekly, improve each other's skills. If someone is too busy the one week, they can just attend the next one.

Same thing. Host short, to-a-point art contests. Dont have these dumb contests like the modelling contests that gets extended 7 times so the whole contests takes 4 months to finish. Finish the whole thing under a month. 2 weeks of work. 2 weeks of polling and judging. Quick and fast.​

I couldn't agree more. I think that would boost activity in any art section. We might think (As I do) - "But we don't have enough public to host weekly mini-contests, or things like that". That problem has no solution if you think about it. But if you help creating a culture of more dynamic production, sharing, etc, maybe that public will start to appear. :)

(And I myself feel blamed for being part in holding such looooong contests pointlessly, it doesn't seem to bring life to the community. it just serves to senselessly holding the activity itself. Thank you Mr. Goblin and Pyra, that thread gives me some enlightenment over the modeling section as well :p )

Roland

R

Roland

@aeman: Please, learn to read the first Post... before I blast you with a volcano load of flaming.

Level 18
ok

the reason i'm joining hive was because when i'm playing custom maps i'm wonder where the map creator get the custom model and skin
it also a reason for me to search some place that i can download some custom maps. when i'm seeing some skin created by the hivers, i'm just
imagine if i can created it. the hivers that create custom skin inspired me to do

what i'm expecting here is more tutorial on 2d art. some tutorial may be hard for me to understand. also broken links and image make my morale lost to learn more

more tutorial for beginners may help hive to grow. i think

what i'm expecting here is more tutorial on 2d art. some tutorial may be hard for me to understand. also broken links and image make my morale lost to learn more

more tutorial for beginners may help hive to grow. i think

Got your back aeman! We will be updating and cleaning this thread shortly= Art Tutorials/Books/etc. we already slowly started updating it!

=====================================================

Alright ladies and gentlemen, If I were running as president of the united states, I'll have you know I respect my engagement. :D

Big thanks to @Heinvers and @morbent and all of you guys for your suggestions. I'll leave this thread open for a bit more times because I expect possitive feedbacks! :D

That's great! (Not the president part though) :D
Btw, when will you start the Weekly Theme Contest? (Maybe when the current Concept Contest ends?)
Soon enough, just haven't jumped back into it and worked on a more ''clear to understand'' description. + kinda waiting for a tad more activity in the art section....

so yeah probably right after the concept-art competition. I'll use it as a trampoline while people wait for the judging to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.