1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The SharpCraft World Editor Extended (WEX) has been updated for the latest Warcraft 3 version: Forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Paired Modeling/Texturing Contest #3 - Leaders has begun! Artists group up and struggle! May the best team lead the run.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The long awaited results for Mini-Mapping Contest #13 is here! Congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Vote for the best Concept Art Contest - Bounty Hunter entry!
    Dismiss Notice

Paintovers and C&C! Submit your WIPs here!

Discussion in 'Art and Graphic Designs' started by TheKurt009, Dec 11, 2016.

1. TheKurt009

TheKurt009

-=PAINT OVERS and C&C=-

Hello fellow artist! This thread was created to help you and the other fellow hivers who would like to pursuit their epic quest at becoming master drawers!

Submit your new project here, TheKurt009 and Mr.Goblin will gladly give you professional feedbacks and do paintovers to help you out improve your drawings, help you out with your struggles and perhaps teach you a few things along the way!.

If you want some criticisms and tips to make your piece better, Upload your file here! Allow us and other artist to give their feedbacks!

On board the improvement train!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  2. Mr.Goblin

Mr.Goblin

Art and Graphic Design Moderator

YOU SURE ARE BRILLIANT!

3. Murlocologist

Murlocologist

2D Art Moderator

I made it in gimp for a dwarf icon. I switch between around 5 brushes, usually not working in grayscale (it looks awful whenever I do), working with 2-3 layers. I got a lot of problems with colour switching and getting colour ''flow''. I'm often too lazy to add things like backlight or secondary lighsources as I do icons in one go. In this one something just isn't working out well.
    [​IMG]

4. TheKurt009

TheKurt009

Hello there Murcologist! for starters i would like to say i like your artstyle!

quick paintover initiated, 3, 2, 1, GO!

dwarf.png
    • but i would still suggest practicing in grayscale for depth purposes.
    • Your piece has a warm tone, so in order to balance it i added a cool backlight for it.
    • I also added another Light source to help with the depth and to bring out other parts of the drawings that are otherwise too hidden.
    • I have also fixed his right eye a little bit since it looked a little too confusing as to where his eyebrow bones and eyelids should be.
    • Also added some Cool Soft shadows to help with depth and adjusted the color because the original's shadow looked dirty, as in not blending well with the skin. :)
    • I left how the eyes should have been because it is interesting, He conveys a certain edge in how he looks. And in touching those, i might as well make my own icon.
    • dwarf.png In making icons, you need to zoom it out for readability. But i think you know that already, seeing as you make tons of icons :) but i left it here for other future icon makers :)
    this isn't supposed to be a replacement but only an idea, i left out much details like the rugged hairs and the little bit of detail in the right eyebrow. hope it helps you in your future icons :D

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  5. Edge45

Edge45

Subscribin' to this.

6. Naze

Naze

Off-Topic Moderator

That's awesome. I like how you added depth and made it interesting with other light sources. I, however, would have left the skin and hairs with the rough texture they previously had - maybe such detail would be lost after the picture is resized to icon-size, but maybe it'll give an interesting touch and look a bit less clean.

7. TheKurt009

TheKurt009

well yes i agree haha, like i said, the sketch isn't a complete replacement but rather to show what would give a piece its initiative push before it enters the detail factory. I try to maintain and preserve those but some will be inevitably get lost.

8. Idaero Ace

Idaero Ace

O great masters! Please send me your light!

I trying to following Neoartcore coloring. I really like his saturated colour. But, like all of my art, I have no idea how to finish it. Please tell me what to do.
    And it always turned blurry. I kinda scared using hard full opacity brush because the color cant blend well (I think my app is suck but afaik its the best for iphone). And, choosing color directly is ultimately hard for me, so i just put and mix some color.
    edit: took another 30 minutes trying to get rid the blur, not much changed

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  9. Mr.Goblin

Mr.Goblin

Art and Graphic Design Moderator

paintove2r.jpg

Hey there! First thing, Dude... wow, you're really getting better and FASsssssst!

Now, let me be clear, I know you have your own manga looking style and I really can't help you out with your stylistic porportions because my background is mostly in fine art and industrial art.

From what I can see there's a few things you did right!
    1 = You have great volume,
    2 = You seem to respect where the highlights are compared to the shadows,
    3 = You drew a very organic flow in your hair... kudos!
    4 = your texture work is great! We can even feel the subsurface scaterring on some places! :D
    5 = you picked a really really really hard angle to make a portrait, I myself avoid doing portrait with such angles. Kudos for challenging yourself!

Here's what you could fix. (The colours matches those made in my paintover)
    1 = Your overal anatomy is to be rework. Please... pretty please, use references LOTS of them in the futur. (x10 with portraits)
    A trick that would help you out is to break down people's face by simple shapes. Triangles, squares, circles, etc.

[​IMG] exemple. By doing so you'll learn faster the overal structure and flow of the face.
    2 = Hair flow. A easy and accurate way to design and draw hair is to learn the point of tension, where the hair starts and folds. In my drawings you can see there's two main starting point, I expended from there. (with this in mind, google some awesome haircuts, you'll soon find there's patterns in how hair grows and flows around the skull).
    3 = Light source. = Make sure you know where you're light is coming from, some highlights and shadows didn't make much sense. Identify with an arrow you various light source! Ambiant light, point light, linear light. and pretty please, once again = check a lot of references! :D

That's it mate! Great job none the less!

10. TheKurt009

TheKurt009

awesome job covering most of it! :D guess i'll cover some technical stuff for him ^_^
    the reason why it doesnt work is because an iphone doesnt have pressure sensitivity, which makes it hard for you to blend colors well. But the tip to making it work is eyedrops, lots and lots of eyedrops ^_^
    ScreenShot_20161213182803.png

Here i used MSPaint which has no pressure sensitivity. I used very hard opacity brushes and brushed them together. Then you get the little blended pixelated colors to eyedrop. Brush them on the middle, get the mixed pixelated color again and brush them.
    See, blending colors are tedious without pressure opacity and may take you longer hours of work, despite some apps making it better for you. So you might as well try other artstyles to compensate.

i strictly recommend you use a Wacom graphic tablet when drawing as it has the fundamentals you will need. Oh and Photoshop too ^_^

i don't really draw in iphones and i commend you for doing great work on it!

11. Idaero Ace

Idaero Ace

Thank you Master Goblin!
    Thank you Mastah Kurt!
    Idk what should I say now (will be edited before 2017)

12. Tleno

Tleno

Even though I'm massively disappointed C&C doesn't stand for Command & Conquer, this is a fantastic thread! Thanks Kurt & Mr Goblin!
    [​IMG]
    If what it was mostly a quick test on how efficient would painting over quick 3D geometry be like, so far I feel like I lack both practice and speed, so I can't really be good at it >_>

13. don_svetlio

don_svetlio

Thank heavens for twitter else I would've likely missed this thread!

Will probably post some works later as I have to finish a comic by friday.

14. Naze

Naze

Off-Topic Moderator

Well look at that, and some were reluctant about twitter doing its job (me included, hehe).

Oh, but it looks nice! Needs a little refining for an icon, but that's the easy part. And about you "lacking practice and speed, so you can't really be good at it", don't be so pessimistic about it - it is just a matter of training.

15. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

What a cool thread. I, however, am disappointed that "paintover" doesn't mean "drawing over screenshots to make icons"; I thought that would be simply the most awexome thing to have a Request thread for.

Still, this is a good cause, and already seems to be kicking off with a bang.

Murlocologist, LOVE that Dwarf... And Kurt, you managed to improve it, somehow. Or at least Warcraft-ify it. Kudos.

Mr.Goblin, I think you need to be a little bit more positive & encouraging. You're really being a Debbie Downer here, as usual.

:D

16. TheKurt009

TheKurt009

Hello! back with the paintover haha. First, i couldn't really say mine is better, probably made it a lot worse i think :/ I don't have much knowledge on what makes something look like it belongs to starcraft universe or scifi in general which, i'm still practicing to get the hang of things.

disclaimer: my own opinions aren't meant to be taken as rule XD

now, with your piece, i couldn't really say anything besides the first syringe that i removed because it looks like gravity isn't working there, but i accidentally removed the tablets lol. The piece felt it needed some "light works" to make it stand out as an icon and make it more readable in black background so i added glowing liquids for the blank bottles and the syringe. Like i said, i'm not well versed in scifi so in my blank mind i thought maybe glowing liquids might put some depth on the piece, otherwise, a directional light pointing towards some of the objects.

i liked how you made it that even when i zoom it out to icon size it's still readable as a medicine icon ^_^ great job on that! :D
    you also used 3D references then painted over it which i really like! just keep on doing it and you'll get the hang of it! :D

also want to note for everyone: please describe specifically what needed to be worked on, you might like a part of your piece to be as is. My paintovers are only my opinions and aren't needed to be taken as absolute :) you can still however request a paintover in general, but if you want something specific, please state it lol ^_^

Attached Files:

17. lolkevin

lolkevin

I would want to be more patient. But how?

18. TheKurt009

TheKurt009

patience is a virtue my friend ^_^ it is a valuable quality of a person

if you keep doing something, you get faster at it. If you keep drawing "while" striving for improvement, you'll get better at it.
    passion also helps because it makes you love what you do. If you don't love what you're doing, you just get easily more frustrated and would make you quit.
    i can't simply make you be more "patient" in drawing if you don't like what you do :)

19. lolkevin

lolkevin

Ok thanks.

Oh and can i post a image here and let some of you "Improve" it? Just for fun.

20. TheKurt009

TheKurt009

that's what this thread is all about ^_^ but i do hope you learn from it and not just
    "draw this for me" okay? :)