1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The SharpCraft World Editor Extended (WEX) has been updated for the latest Warcraft 3 version: Forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Paired Modeling/Texturing Contest #3 - Leaders has begun! Artists group up and struggle! May the best team lead the run.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The long awaited results for Mini-Mapping Contest #13 is here! Congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Vote for the best Concept Art Contest - Bounty Hunter entry!
    Dismiss Notice

Paintovers and C&C! Submit your WIPs here!

Discussion in 'Art and Graphic Designs' started by TheKurt009, Dec 11, 2016.

1. ~Nightmare

~Nightmare

Seems a pretty interesting thread.

2. lolkevin

lolkevin

Actually i got nothing. Can you do one Xillu picture? I can let you chose one from my album.

3. TheKurt009

TheKurt009

thanks :) hope you come to visit and help other artists or when you needed a mercenary to help :)

sorry :) but my purpose is to help artists and would be artists in this thread, which is to provide helpful feedback and give some pointers :)
    although unless you have a "work in progress art" that you'd post here which i'd always be willing to help.

right now judging from your drawings, all i can say is
    you need to study your fundamentals, like
    -anatomy and perspective.
    -values and depth
    -light
    -color theory

study those :D if you want i can recommend you some books of what most artists use :)

4. lolkevin

lolkevin

I'm a simple artist and i want to be one. I guess the only thing i need to practice is poses.

5. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Speaking of which. I was trying to draw this:
    [​IMG]

and I ended up with this:
    upload_2016-12-15_13-58-32.png
    Can you draw this for me?

*cough*

6. Edge45

Edge45

My turn for "demands"

I actually put this on hold, but I'll use this chance (since some guy, particularly above this post, is *coughing*).
    Initial sketch,
    [​IMG]
    Where I got so far,
    [​IMG]
    What troubles me here is that its scales, aswell as its body that I tried whirling around, and also its spines, I have a hard time surfacing that part. The light is from the moon(I'll add the light colors later) coming from the top left side.
    I got a little frustrated from missing points and can't seem to move on until I find it.
    Also, depth is actually last every time I work, adding more confusing things to my plans.

7. TheKurt009

TheKurt009

from scratch??? i'll try??? lol you're taking advantage of the system XD

Yo! i'm reaaally liking how you shaded this! looked like a plaster sculpt or 3D! you used burn and dodge tools??? ^_^
    H4.png
    first of all, the reason it becomes confusing to you is because you're putting depth at the end of your workflow.
    my workflow goes as follows:

-sketch
    -flat colors
    -depth (these two can be interchangeable)
    -coffee
    -procrastinate
    -lights
    -rendering
    -post processing

first i added some orange shadows to the yellow body, moved the underbelly to the left and fixed the unnatural bend because it looked like a bump. didn't fixed the hair because i personally liked it as it is, but could use some color works ^_^
    i added cool colors because it is night time, and because the moonlight is its primary lightsource, it is behind the viewer, unless it serves as a backlight then it should be visible.
    i haven't added atmosphere perspective since it was sort of confusing how long the dragon should be, and that it's still incomplete yet. also sort of Desaturated the colors a little because like the depth, the colors seem to have the same saturation value. For the scales, i never drew the scales but opted for a sort of fur-like texture (personal preference)
    personally for me still, i forgot to settle the colors and unify it and in turn it looked like it's not in the background so i hope you learn from my mistake XD

all in all i'm very impressed with the dragon and had fun with the paintover.
    Hope to see the final result! ^_^

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  8. Edge45

Edge45

Well done :D, it looks really cool, if I was able to upload the psd file (which is frckin above 400MB), you would have more freedom on editing it than it being a Wip. Thanks alot :D

hmm, I ought to try your workflow, but It might be hard for me since I'm more into layer ordering, and that I would go with the centre of attention and render it first, must be why I get to lose the depth.

Edit: also, I use various brush opacity to shadow and lighten the surfaces, added with shadow layering and different layer types for the color. I actually learned that dodge and burn tools are too heavy and you get less control on its opacity.

9. Rheiko

Rheiko

Awesome, If only I could draw as good as these arts-

Keep it up, guys. :D

10. TheKurt009

TheKurt009

400MB?!?!?!?! how big is that!??!?!
    i never reached above 100mb :eek: nah don't worry about the psd because i tend to work with two to three layers anyway. New layers> merge down > Repeat. So i frequently draw on flattened images. although sometimes i reach 10 when there are so many technicalities involved.
    i agree about dodge and burn, i never used those ^_^ i just thought because i recall you used those in your previous works and i was like "he used those? whoah"
    the workflow i use is the artists' standard, i frequently see those in gif processes. Also avoid the procrastination part lol

thaanks! :D just upload a drawing here for some help ^_^

11. Rheiko

Rheiko

My drawing is not better than @Kyrbi0 's :p

12. Fuzzyfury

Fuzzyfury

Subbin cause this is awesome... And you guys are awesome... Just a lot of awesomeness...

13. TheKurt009

TheKurt009

Thanks!! If you need help, just post here!
    Me and the other guys are willing to help you out!

14. Mr.Goblin

Mr.Goblin

Art and Graphic Design Moderator

This thread is amazing, love the love people! :D

15. Hayate

Hayate

SUBSCRIBING I gotta post something here soon

YESH!!

16. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Oh yeah. I know exactly what you should have painted over...

17. TheKurt009

TheKurt009

aaand if you post your wip today,
    YOU GET A SPECIAL OFFER WORTH 50$ OF PAINTOVER FOR 100% DISCOUNT!!!
    call now at BUSH-DID-911

18. Hayate

Hayate

My WIP

Attached Files:

19. bear_369

bear_369

Subscribing to this.

These arts looks great! :D

20. apcrabnightlive

apcrabnightlive

Subscribing here too bad I can't do graphic art.