• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Paintovers and C&C! Submit your WIPs here!

Level 42
hey :) glad i just checked this while on break. did a 10 minute fix for this
main thing i noticed that needed fixing was the anatomy of the troll. I didn't know if they're supposed to be double jointed or do their forearms bend like that but i had to resort to the normal human anatomy. The torso needed to be fixed as well :)

i love the effort you put on the raptor :) i don't think there are any major fixes that needed to be pointed out. Except the left leg which only needed some minor fix :) i left that out though.

Another tip i think i could give is when adding highlights, don't just drag the color slider up but instead drag them diagonally and also the hue bar too
to add some color variance.
another thing i did is add another color dodge layer and brushed on the metallic parts to give them that metallic feel, so the materials won't look the same :))

i made the shadows more bluish to contrast the warm highlights which is just a personal taste :)
oh and the more saturated feel was also a personal taste :)

oh and also please avoid using absolute black or white,
for the absolute white, those are just reserved for direct spotlights
however, this tip can still be bended as some still look very well even when done so

View attachment 292584

Do you mind to point out and more about the anatomy? :p Seems like I cant really catch what did i do wrong by comparing it :p, kind of need some extra guide haha

Level 16
sure! :D glad to help!
for starters the chest was too much to the side so i centered it. Glad i found a reference that fits haha!
the elbows should look like it function as a hinge, and the muscle group in the arms look like it needs a reference :)
studying anatomy does take a long time lol
using references are a really great way to improve and is embraced by all art communities because you can't draw what you can't imagine/see
it's also a great way to build up your visual library! :D
Untitled-2.jpg

anatomy_of_arm__muscles_by_ephygenia-d2lognu.jpg

Level 16
heyo!
your values were pretty much the same so with the guide of your shadows set i followed it and applied it :)
the anatomy also needed some work, especially on the arms. I got a little confused on how to fix it haha but i tried.
i also added some color dodge on the eyes and put a soft brush on the hair to make it seem glowing :)
i didn't change any hues in it but it could also use some for color variety as having a near monochrome color palette sometimes make some piece look boring. Well, some haha
oh and tip: having the same values makes a piece look flat.

just an announcement, this thread isn't dead, i check hiveworkshop almost every other day so feel free on posting here!
Untitled.jpg

Level 42
sure! :D glad to help!
for starters the chest was too much to the side so i centered it. Glad i found a reference that fits haha!
the elbows should look like it function as a hinge, and the muscle group in the arms look like it needs a reference :)
studying anatomy does take a long time lol
using references are a really great way to improve and is embraced by all art communities because you can't draw what you can't imagine/see
it's also a great way to build up your visual library! :D
View attachment 292590
anatomy_of_arm__muscles_by_ephygenia-d2lognu.jpg

thank you very much, Now I realized I fucked up the arm haha:p

Level 17
heyo!
your values were pretty much the same so with the guide of your shadows set i followed it and applied it :)
the anatomy also needed some work, especially on the arms. I got a little confused on how to fix it haha but i tried.
i also added some color dodge on the eyes and put a soft brush on the hair to make it seem glowing :)
i didn't change any hues in it but it could also use some for color variety as having a near monochrome color palette sometimes make some piece look boring. Well, some haha
oh and tip: having the same values makes a piece look flat.

just an announcement, this thread isn't dead, i check hiveworkshop almost every other day so feel free on posting here!
View attachment 292591
Thanks for the feedbacks~
I guess the value that is pretty much the same mean the colours are quite similar right?

How about this one?
footman wip.jpg

I stuck at chain mail under the armor.. any suggestion how to paint it?

Last edited:
Level 16
heya! i dig the knight!
what i did was i enlarged the head a little and fixed the eyes since when flipping the canvas the eyes don't feel right. It's a good habit on occasionally flipping the canvas to see your mistakes since your eyes tend to adjust. I also harmonized the colors by blending the light more on the armor with an overlay layer.
i cropped the composition and put her on the left side following the rule of thirds. i also balanced the lighting by lessening the amount of light on the left side.
when choosing colors, please don't choose the edge of the color by picking hard blue but instead on the middle.
this video tells about color harmony and picking of colors :) i dig the art by the way! :D
HAYATE.jpg

i referenced an image i found on google :)
please don't depend entirely on textures as they don't provide depth to the elements. instead, take time on studying forms, values and shapes by studying light :)
i also removed the bright neon blue bar as it was too distracting and ruining the piece :)

white wolf.jpg

Level 22
i referenced an image i found on google :)
please don't depend entirely on textures as they don't provide depth to the elements. instead, take time on studying forms, values and shapes by studying light :)
i also removed the bright neon blue bar as it was too distracting and ruining the piece :)

white-wolf-jpg.292909
Thanks! Looks like I still got a long way to go. ~

Level 16
Hellowildfire! thanks for uploading!
glad you finished it! :D i love the metal texture :) i did a quick overpaint and some adjustments to it. Your rendering is pretty nice now! and now i think the priority should be the focus for anatomy and perspectives.
1st thing i noticed was he seemed off balanced, no sense of weight which is i think is still also important for poses.
- the arm was a little bit too long so i shortened it and reposed it.
-i also reduced the yellow hue in the shield because i felt that it's too saturated.
-i also fixed the legs because the foreshortening wasn't being displayed correctly :)
-the face i fixed as well :) what i did first was drawing the face without the helmet then putting the helmet on the top layer over it.

add-features-thumb.jpg

overall i think the first thing you should work on is anatomy proportions and perspectives, because while your rendering is good, i find that they can't make up some of the things lacking because anatomy proportions and perspectives are one of the core things holding a piece together.
manoutofproportion.png

footmanoverpaint.jpg

Me summon senpai @TheKurt009 !!!

Gimme red lines plz because I always draw like this and it feels so wrong but i cant fix it.
876e212c636cc26021aae300da80a139.jpg

first thing first, learn your porportions buddy :) This will fix a lot of your own issues. Second, always concider your light source and the corresponding shadow it's casting. :)

Level 15
876e212c636cc26021aae300da80a139.jpg

first thing first, learn your porportions buddy :) This will fix a lot of your own issues. Second, always concider your light source and the corresponding shadow it's casting. :)
no thats my style n i’m doing it right

XD lol jk. Thanks Mr. Goblin! on most time i dont realize those after 1 hours making them o.o I’ll rework the light. and i’ll post it here again

edit: I GIVE UP!!

Last edited: