1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Moderator asking for help! :D

Discussion in 'Art and Graphic Designs' started by Mr.Goblin, Jul 14, 2016.

1. GunSlinger

GunSlinger

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well there are browser alternatives without the need to download and install things.

2. Edge45

Edge45

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Template:
    Resources:
    That was a lot of walls of reading, but the ideas are quite interesting, just hoping it goes well considering the burden to face.

3. morbent

morbent

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    The chat seems like a good option actually, I hadn't thought about that, the only problem is that people aren't always there (like in skype) and that there will be others as well, so if we're gonna be talking about art it might spam the chat for the rest. How are you going to tell people stuff like "lets hangout and draw", you'd have to hope they would be in the chat or just wait till the end of the month when an official hangouts is hosted. And on a side note, you can mute messages in skype if you find it annoying /alertsoff, I think it was, but still be able to check them manually, so to speak, and not miss out on events.

Regarding the tutorials, you can assume control over this thread Art Tutorials/Books/etc. (or I'll update it myself, it definitely needs to be reordered to make it more approachable anyway) since many people have already proposed lots of tutorials there.

GunSlinger, can you name some of these alternatives?

4. Mr.Goblin

Mr.Goblin

Art and Graphic Design Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    hum, on facebook it'S easy = you simply post that you're hanging out in the google hangout and normally after 10minutes a few people shows up. But the hive doesn't quite have that.... unless we create a thread that will allow people spamming = ''sub I'm in the chat, come and join me!'' then yeah sure! it will work. (but once again, this google hangout/livestreaming idea will be the last project on this list, I first want to make sure hivers are active in the art and graphical design forum. :D

please be my guess! First start by removing all the broken links! :D then we could talk about updating it with new contant and a better, more simple to understand visual.

5. GunSlinger

GunSlinger

Resources:
    Resources:
    Anondraw - Has a limitless canvas but limited tools for drawing. It has a chat window too. It has limited ink but it isn't really a huge problem since it replenishes or you can open a new window.
    MultiDraw - Has a very small canvas(800x800) but has more functionality than AnonDraw.
    CoPainter - Rather simple. Has no chat window and only has 2 brushes.

Yeah. Not really as good as their downloaded counterparts. AnonDraw is probably the best. If you guys want more functionality then installing a program is a must. I recommend DrawPile since it's constantly updated and has a lot of features including recording and playback.

6. Pyramidhe@d

Pyramidhe@d

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Ok... firstly, I assume the message I got on my profile was like an automated message or something. If not, why would you send ME a message to see this thread. You KNOW I dont hang around here.

Anyways. Not actually answering is rude. so.

1. Why are you here? - I cant answer. Cos I am not
    2/3 What would you like to see here?/Any ideas or comment
    Honestly, host frequent group activities. Small group activities, choose a theme(dont do a polling to choose a theme that takes 2 weeks to decide), do an artwork within the week. Host it weekly, improve each other's skills. If someone is too busy the one week, they can just attend the next one.

Same thing. Host short, to-a-point art contests. Dont have these dumb contests like the modelling contests that gets extended 7 times so the whole contests takes 4 months to finish. Finish the whole thing under a month. 2 weeks of work. 2 weeks of polling and judging. Quick and fast.

These two, arent going to be done willynilly. I dont know what the community is right now. And I dont know who the new "c00l gang" or the "jury" members are, but if there are no people to show initiative and push this, then it aint going to work. It aint going to work cos I was part of one before and it didnt work. It cant be one person doing all the shit, promoting all the shit. Get people working and hyped up.

In regards to using some sort of group chat thing. DO NOT use skype. skype is bloated and it sucks and works very slow on phone. It also needs downloads and the voicechat lags.
    The thing to use is Discord discordapp.com. Discord works for both browser and app. Discord allows textchat, voice chat. Make an official room and chat there for extra chatting. Anyone who feel adventurous, I am currently in https://discord.gg/CXYrsYZ which is filled with people who was once from hive but have left. You are welcome to come in, stay for 5 minute, and then leave in anger.
    If you NEED screen to be shared, then use google Hangout. I've only used that once tho but seems to work well enough for art purposes. Go annoy Ghost765 in regards to this.
    And that's it.

7. Idaero Ace

Idaero Ace

Resources:
    Resources:
    I tried Discord 2 days ago. Interface is much better than Skype, and its easy to register too.

I am supporting all great ideas here, i'll put my thought here soon, still building up my words (just want to inform that i didnt ignore this thread, still building up my thought)

8. Mr.Goblin

Mr.Goblin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It wasn't, I saw you were online... you're a member who participates/participated in the 2D art section of the hive... so ya know wanted your opinion too!. :O

Thanks for your answer, I'll see for Discord. What I know so far is that we want to keep the activity witing the hiveworkshop, so it might wait a little... same thing for the livestreaming/google hangout ideas.

I'll keep you guys updated for the rest :D

9. Sin'dorei300

Sin'dorei300

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    I salute your initiative for reviving the art forum! :)
    I come here from time to time to admire hivers' art.
    Still, a few people make art here and their efforts deserve to be welcomed.
    I'd like to see more people drawing.
    Mainly, this is the place where anyone can share his/her drawings. But, for keeping this forum alive, it does not suffice to only post drawings.
    I think it's also a place where feedback is desired, a place where some people can share their experience(giving advice and making demonstrations), they can give ideas and suggestions about tools, tutorials, art pages, etc., others can learn how to improve their skills, others just can admire the work pieces and encourage the creators in their way.
    Of course, organized events(like mini-contests and challenges) can help if they are well promoted, to capture people's interest.
    Also, a sticky thread with the events that occurred can be created. Maybe an art gallery, as well.
    And this thread(that was stickied once) - Concept Art Mini-Contests: The Victorious, could be improved/updated.
    Besides involvement, all these require time, free time.
    But, imo, even more than free time, i think people need encouragement(this could work as an extra motivation, sometimes). :)

10. Mr.Goblin

Mr.Goblin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Thanks!

This is the main reason why I felt google hangout

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/pastebin/199f3a314d7cab4992e9f14070d5ce356717/ already started working on a Mini challenge thread... I'll post it soon enough with the revealed theme :)

ya! don't expect to do everything in 1 go, mostly 1 day at a time. One project at the time as well.... give me a few weeks and this forum should be completly revamped :D

11. Sin'dorei300

Sin'dorei300

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
  12. Idaero Ace

Idaero Ace

Resources:
    Resources:
    Okay, after reading this thread for long time, i finally able to organize my words here. My writing skillz is suck zzz. And I realized that my most ideas are gone while i type this -_-

I see most people here recommend to make mini contest, well, glad you already develop it, Master Goblin :D But, of course, this will make long journey. As morbent said, he tried to make one in past and not survive for long time. I actually also made one a year ago, a weekly challenges. Only survived 3 weeks, because lack of participants and that also made me really lay to continue it. And I pass it to Greenix (??? forgot the name), only survived a couple weeks too. But I believe if you made it, it will be better!!

Hmm... just checked those two weekly challenges. This will make drawing more fun. You we know each other drawing on same type, not just usual random drawing we made here. And more people posting there too (they didnt make thread here, but they posting their weekly challenges entry). If its more organized, i bet this will be super success. I believe in you Master Goblin :D
    (damn i feel so awesome now because i made that weekly challenge, although its failed)
    Check this two threads
    http://www.hiveworkshop.com/posts/2602493/
    http://www.hiveworkshop.com/posts/2617166/

And then, about tutorials. I really love it. I kust day that finding good tutorials is really hard for me. I believe you as a master have some awesome tutorials and some other recommendations. Artist recommendations, work progress, and other stuff like people said previously are totally awesome too. This will help developing artist like me.

About what naze said, I really like to have some character design discussion. Recently I tried to research more character design to improve my OCs. This will help us understand more about design.

Good luck with your work Master Goblin! I bet this will be success and awesome!!

13. HappyCockroach

HappyCockroach

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:

I couldn't agree more. I think that would boost activity in any art section. We might think (As I do) - "But we don't have enough public to host weekly mini-contests, or things like that". That problem has no solution if you think about it. But if you help creating a culture of more dynamic production, sharing, etc, maybe that public will start to appear. :)

(And I myself feel blamed for being part in holding such looooong contests pointlessly, it doesn't seem to bring life to the community. it just serves to senselessly holding the activity itself. Thank you Mr. Goblin and Pyra, that thread gives me some enlightenment over the modeling section as well :p )

14. Mr.Goblin

Mr.Goblin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
  15. Roland

Roland

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Such an awesome idea, Sir Goblin!

16. aeman

aeman

Resources:
    Resources:
    well what is this thread about?

17. Roland

Roland

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    @aeman: Please, learn to read the first Post... before I blast you with a volcano load of flaming.

18. aeman

aeman

Resources:
    Resources:
    ok

the reason i'm joining hive was because when i'm playing custom maps i'm wonder where the map creator get the custom model and skin
    it also a reason for me to search some place that i can download some custom maps. when i'm seeing some skin created by the hivers, i'm just
    imagine if i can created it. the hivers that create custom skin inspired me to do

what i'm expecting here is more tutorial on 2d art. some tutorial may be hard for me to understand. also broken links and image make my morale lost to learn more

more tutorial for beginners may help hive to grow. i think

19. Mr.Goblin

Mr.Goblin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Got your back aeman! We will be updating and cleaning this thread shortly= Art Tutorials/Books/etc. we already slowly started updating it!

=====================================================

Alright ladies and gentlemen, If I were running as president of the united states, I'll have you know I respect my engagement. :D

Big thanks to @Heinvers and @morbent and all of you guys for your suggestions. I'll leave this thread open for a bit more times because I expect possitive feedbacks! :D

20. morbent

morbent

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    There aren't many beginner stuff on the internet and I wouldn't recommend going to the Art Tutorials thread for these (well if I'm thinking beginner means beginner beginner) but I could talk about these stuff in a google hangouts sometime. I'd make a video, if I knew how.