• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling program

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Deskalada: What exactly do you want to do? The interface in terms of the buttons and panels and layouts is already done, except I guess for some yet-to-be-known button graphics.

Blinkboy: Animating is the next thing; I'm going to leave mesh editing alone until all the other main parts have some start. What are collapse and edit triangulation? Mirror and extrude will probably be at the top of my list.

Blinkboy: Animating is the next thing; I'm going to leave mesh editing alone until all the other main parts have some start. What are collapse and edit triangulation? Mirror and extrude will probably be at the top of my list.

let me show you.

First Collapse

attachment.php

2º with edges and polygons.
attachment.php

Edit triangulation is more of a concept (a tool in edit poly too, but wc3 uses meshes)

Instead for editing triangulation, we use the tool turn:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Collapse.gif
    Collapse.gif
    202.5 KB · Views: 257
  • Collapse2.gif
    Collapse2.gif
    225.8 KB · Views: 258
  • Turn.gif
    Turn.gif
    86.4 KB · Views: 285
Level 6
I'll probably do an unwrap thing eventually.

Blinkboy: I will definitely have those two things, those just aren't the names I know them as.

General Frank: I won't be charging anything for it.

Deskalada: What is wrong with the interface that you would change? I'm probably going to post the source code when I release a version, but I don't want to have multiple version running around before then.

Here a screenshot of animating. (Only the bottom right one is showing as an animation window.) You can see that the selected joint is highlighted red, and that all the joints are hard to see. I am open to suggestions for making that view less confusing. I have all the bones showing because it would be bad to have them get covered by surrounding geometry, but that makes for kind of a lot of stuff on the screen. I'm already hiding all the stuff that doesn't have any move/rotation/scale keys.

Attachments

• img5.jpg
    img5.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 164
Ok, well suggestions time.

I suggest that for the helpers and bones you use dots, but colored in different colors, and make the color relate to it's bone name. OR, you could make boxes for them to be selectable.

About animation, I think you should stick the 3dsmax way. Let me give you an example[`wait a time for the image to load]:
attachment.php

As you can see max allows you to use autokey, for animating any transformations that you do in the interval. You also may had notice the transform table, which allowed you to insert the values you want (good for rotating 90,180,45,etc degrees); and ofcourse the key copy tool, which allows you to copy the objects position/rotation/scale in a certain frame and paste it over another(good for looping animations). About the objects, don't pay them attention I don't think you'll use IK in your tool.

I also suggest that you implement this view tools for meshes, it could clean up lots of things:
attachment.php

Attachments

• animmax.gif
    animmax.gif
    2.7 MB · Views: 412
  • suggest.gif
    suggest.gif
    2.4 MB · Views: 414
Level 6
It would be neat to support IK, and I don't think a really simple 2-joint sort of thing would be too hard. I did an IK thing with a leg once (not related to MDXs), with rotating the knee and the hip to get the foot to the right place. That ability alone would make walks a lot easier to make. It wouldn't need any special rigging data, either. There could just be an "IK Move" tool or something, and it would rotate the two joints hierarchically above the moved one in order to move it, and maintain its current orientation.

Anyway, here is some progress. I have the animation bar showing up and clickable, and it appearing to be 30 fps to the user. Clicking play also works. You can create and edit movement keys. Doing the same for rotation is being a huge headache.

Blinkboy, what program did you use to make that screen recording of you doing stuff in 3ds max?

Attachments

• img7.jpg
    img7.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 125
It would be neat to support IK, and I don't think a really simple 2-joint sort of thing would be too hard. I did an IK thing with a leg once (not related to MDXs), with rotating the knee and the hip to get the foot to the right place. That ability alone would make walks a lot easier to make. It wouldn't need any special rigging data, either. There could just be an "IK Move" tool or something, and it would rotate the two joints hierarchically above the moved one in order to move it, and maintain its current orientation.

Anyway, here is some progress. I have the animation bar showing up and clickable, and it appearing to be 30 fps to the user. Clicking play also works. You can create and edit movement keys. Doing the same for rotation is being a huge headache.

Blinkboy, what program did you use to make that screen recording of you doing stuff in 3ds max?

Just in case this is pretty much how IK must look like. And I think you'll need a new format for people who will want to save their IK rigg.

attachment.php

and It's also very important that IKs have a swigel angle. It's very important because if the program does not compute correctly the IK, you need to fix it.

attachment.php

I used Cantasia Studio 5 btw, and 123 AVI to GIF Converter 3.0. For optimizing GIFs I use Adobe Image Ready and for doing simple edits I use Easy Gif Animator 4.1

Attachments

• IK1.gif
    IK1.gif
    1.5 MB · Views: 379
  • IK2.gif
    IK2.gif
    4.7 MB · Views: 443
Status
Not open for further replies.