• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Limited modelling programs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
I've checked out several modelling programs, because I want to check out if it would be something I could do for my maps. The problem is: The only programs discussed in the Modelling & Animation and 3D Modelling Tutorial section are Magos, Autodesk 3Ds Max and Autodesk Maya. I've checked out Autodesk and found several other programs with a description of being used for game modelling and animating.

Why aren't these programs ever mentioned here? The programs on the matter are Autodesk MotionBuilder, mudbox (only has 2 threads in the Modelling & Animation section, which only say that the creator uses that program, nothing more) and VIZ. These are all by Autodesk, so you can expect professional quality from those programs. I wonder why only 3Ds Max and Maya are only mentioned. Is there something the other program lack? And if so: What's the difference?

Level 18
Yes. In the entire Hive Workshop there's only being talked about Autodesk's 3Ds Max and Maya. I want to know why the other modelling/animating programs of Autodesk are never talked about. Are they thát bad compared to 3Ds Max & Maya?

Level 18
Actually, so far I've tried out Milkshape and 3Ds Max. 3Ds Max needed a lot of personalising in order to make it nicely work for me. Milkshape only required a bit of browsing and I got setting which I can work well with, so I prefer Milkshape so far. Haven't tried Maya yet, but I'll check that one out too soon.

Level 30
Actually, so far I've tried out Milkshape and 3Ds Max. 3Ds Max needed a lot of personalising in order to make it nicely work for me. Milkshape only required a bit of browsing and I got setting which I can work well with, so I prefer Milkshape so far. Haven't tried Maya yet, but I'll check that one out too soon.
I also prefer MS3D for that reason :D
I now declare Milkshape for the best wc3 related modelling tool ever.

Level 18
I haven't tested Magos yet though...

EDIT: I just checked out magos quickly, but it seems I'm able to start a new model, but I can't find out where the hell I'm supposed to create vertexes and faces... Even if there is this option, it's too annoying to find anyway, so I still prefer Milkshape 3D.

Level 45
Most people prefer zbrush, I myself prefer mudbox. Its a matter of preference and popularity and whatever. That whole dealeo.

I laugh at your opinion. Milkshape is sooo restricted, its not really a modelling tool to be direct, its more of a bridge for exporting and editing models for quake and such based games. It doesnt have the cut too last time i checked and many other features, its unwrapping side is very restricted and clunky.

Level 18
I laugh at your opinion. Milkshape is sooo restricted, its not really a modelling tool to be direct, its more of a bridge for exporting and editing models for quake and such based games. It doesnt have the cut too last time i checked and many other features, its unwrapping side is very restricted and clunky.

Well I don't know about you, but I'm a newb modeller using Milkshape right now and this program has the exact features I expect and need to make a model. Right now I'm perfectionating the boots of my model and it goes very nice. So Milkshape is definitely a proper modelling program.

Level 18
Yes, exactly. And just like all Autodesk products: It's a program that takes ages to figure out how to use it's features good and how to set it up to your preferences. Ofcourse, they nearly all come with a tutorial too that results in a waste of time of an hour and still not getting it...

Level 4
I quit milkshape 6 days ago, I did not realize how good 3dsmax was, so 2 years of modelling is wasted on that tool..

but seriously milkshape is actually pretty good, especially for those who are just starting
now seriously, getting on topic, warcraft is a game that isn't really very high end, and won't require high polies, actually too much high-polygon models would fuck the game up, so the best stuff to use for this game are 3dsmax, Milkshape, and Gmax, and the thing is, its actually just those modelling tools that we have support on, so it all depends, you may think its limited, but one of those three tools are good enough to fill in the gap..

Level 30
Milkshape was my first boat, and one i left to rot in the ocean for a big cruise ship so to speak.
If you like that boat, sure, thats fine, but it if you want a real mans toolbox 3dmax is always there to wait for you, you just gotta figure out how to work it.
Ms3D is the perfect WC3 modelling tool. 3DSmax would be better for the new games like SC2 :D.
And don't laugh at my oppinion because else, i'll smileyspam.

Ms3D is the perfect WC3 modelling tool. 3DSmax would be better for the new games like SC2 :D.
And don't laugh at my oppinion because else, i'll smileyspam.

I dare you to spam smiles! :p.

and no you are wrong. Reasons:

*Mesh scratching in Milkshape is terrible, it's all about extrude, mirror and collapse, there's no "weld target", chanfer, cut, bevel or many other poly editing tools which max offers and are very important for low poly modeling.

*In milkshape, you cannot configure normals or do a single normal mapping, so you must life with bad shaded models if bad shading occurs.

*Unwraping in milkshape is a joke, the big lack of tools and not being able to render the unwrap to a texture makes it quite unuseful.

*Animating in Milkshape is worst than in gmax, it not even supports IK or curve editing programs. All the interpolations are linear and it has no support for visibility or parameter animations.

*Milkshape doesn't support most MDL Objects like: Lights, Event Objects, Attachments, Particle Emitters, Ribbon Emitters, Colission Shapes and Cameras.

*Milkshape does not support it's own programming language like 3dsmax (maxscript) which allows the creation of new plugins and tools that could easilly help extend the wc3 compatibility.

*Milkshape doesn't export Extents and, in that way, most milkshape exported models are not selectable or almost unclickable.

Status
Not open for further replies.