• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Inventor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Hello. I've just tried out the Inventor program by Autodesk, which I'll be studying for the comming months in school. I've just a few questions about the program:

Can I animate and change the file-type to .mdl or .mdx?

and;

Is there a more decent program than Inventor?

Thank you.

Level 10
Why would you want to do models in inventor?

Inventor really isn't for just models, it is more of the material science of things, and to construct virtual prototypes; you should probably find something else to make models with, that has a purpose that is a little closer to what you want to do.

Hell, even Maya would be better...

Level 10
As far as my experience is with Inventor, I would say to not even try it.

I find it extremely horrible to use, it is meant for very specific things, and all other tasks are just tedious and painful.

So my advice would be to not even try, and even if you CAN model, to just use anything else you can get your hands on.

I know models can be made and animated, but as for the formats, I am not sure, sorry.

Level 10
Why would you want to do models in inventor?

Inventor really isn't for just models, it is more of the material science of things, and to construct virtual prototypes; you should probably find something else to make models with, that has a purpose that is a little closer to what you want to do.

Hell, even Maya would be better...

...So you say Maya isn't good? Maya is kicking the ass of 3dsmax. Maya FTW! You need tons of plugins for 3dsmax to compare it to Maya, Maya is the best stand-alone around here. Maya is more flexible for animating than 3dsmax, but 3dsmax creators have the rights for the Maya program now, so they'll keep ruining it until they... completely destroy it.
I looked around like a year ago on this question, MAYA or 3DSMAX, and pretty much 95% of professional modelers say Maya's better. But, since Warcraft 3 models were made in 3DSMAX, if you only want to make Warcraft 3 models, stick to 3ds. Otherwise, download Maya free trial and try it. It's 2 times cheaper btw.

But, bottom line, If you ask me, the best program(s) For animating and modeling would be Zbrush (modeling best program) combined with Maya (animating best program)...

I've been using both programs for a while, first 3dsMax, then Maya... 3dsMax wasn't flexible for me, the UI for me was complicated, while Maya seemed simple to use.

Level 10
...So you say Maya isn't good? Maya is kicking the ass of 3dsmax. Maya FTW! You need tons of plugins for 3dsmax to compare it to Maya, Maya is the best stand-alone around here. Maya is more flexible for animating than 3dsmax, but 3dsmax creators have the rights for the Maya program now, so they'll keep ruining it until they... completely destroy it.
I looked around like a year ago on this question, MAYA or 3DSMAX, and pretty much 95% of professional modelers say Maya's better. But, since Warcraft 3 models were made in 3DSMAX, if you only want to make Warcraft 3 models, stick to 3ds. Otherwise, download Maya free trial and try it. It's 2 times cheaper btw.

But, bottom line, If you ask me, the best program(s) For animating and modeling would be Zbrush (modeling best program) combined with Maya (animating best program)...

I've been using both programs for a while, first 3dsMax, then Maya... 3dsMax wasn't flexible for me, the UI for me was complicated, while Maya seemed simple to use.

I found maya much more confusing, but that is just my personal experience, ^_^

Level 10
Maya is not bad, it is a freakin' BEAST, I just find the interface not friendly.

If your goal is to learn to model, I would not recommend either maya, or inventor.

If you already know what you are doing, then something like maya can be amazing, as it really can do anything you want it to.

Inventor, should not be used for modeling, it would just be too much work.

So use maya if you can, if not, look around here for other popular programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.