• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to make a custom animation!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just decided id make a tutorial as to how to make a custom animation for the general modding community. basically the same for most programs:

1. Create a basic armature(skeleton) of bones following the basic shape of your model.

2. for chains of bones(such as arms, legs, spinal cord for advanced models) add a constraint called an IK solver. in my program you add a wall behind a bone(s) that the bone(s) cannot pass (so, for ex, an elbow cant bend backwards.). now set its mobility ratio, so the [elbow] can still rotate from the [shoulder].

[VERY IMPORTANT] your model will not animate without vertex groups. assign vertices to different bones by first parenting the dude to the armature. select the dude, then the armature(important). then use your parenting hotkey and use Parent to Armature. then select your dude and you should have a Vertex Group menu on your screen.
select an empty vertex group[bone] and then, with all vertices deselected, select the vertices you want to assign to this bone, and press ASSIGN. so when you move that bone in pose mode or ipo curve editor, those vertices will move.

3. if your model is pretty low-poly you should subdivide it a couple times for smooth deformations.

4. if your program has a 'Pose Mode' you should experiment moving the bones around in case of bugs.

5. now go into the action window/IPO curve editor. if you can, split your window in thirds, for X, Y, and Z rotations.

Here comes the actual animating process. I will demonstrate a walk cycle.

6. select your upper leg, and, in your curve editor, make a Z curve going up 20 pts., and a X curve 15 pts.then move your lower leg with a X curve -10 pts.

7. for your arm upper and lower bones, add a X curve -10 pts.[for left, and opposite for right].

8. move to frame 11, and, with your ^ knowledge of curves, make the second walk pose with left leg back a little bit with lower left leg rotated back slightly, and with right leg, make it straight out at about 20-30 degrees in front. now put, for left arm bones, put your X curve at -20 pts.(and opposite for right...).

9. Getting more simple; in frame 21, put basically a flipped pose of frame 1 in.

10; for your final step, in frame 31, make a neutral stand pose, set the end frame of the anim to 31, and make it a looping animation. now go to pose mode, go to frame 1, press your animation hotkey, and watch it go! if this is done correctly, you should have a semi-smooth looking walk animation.

This tutorial is not compatible with all programs, so dont bug me and say its not working.

Hope this helps you aspiring modders,

DDNGW

Level 5
I will add two more advices to DeadDogNoGoWoof tutorial:

11. For a single looping animation use the first frame as the last frame, so it starts and ends in the same position.

12. Start animating from the most important parts like torso or the head for a better result.

DeadDogNoGoWoof if you add some images of how to make it then one of the mods could make it a tutorial. I think this tutorial is more based on your modeling program, but it still teaches much about animating.

Status
Not open for further replies.