• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling program

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
I've been working on a modeling program, and here is what I have so far. You can see me rotating the view and selecting stuff here: http://blip.tv/file/566828

There are 4 viewports which you can assign to a function of your choice. In that screenshot, the upper left is perspective modeling, the upper right lets you select objects, the lower right shows the animatable trakcs of those objects, and the lower right will one day let you mess with the sequences. On the far right are the properties of whatever you have selected. (It would have checkboxes for billboarded and so on if it were just bones selected, instead of also a geoset.) On the bottom will be the animation bar.

Attachments

• img.jpg
    img.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 463
you should make modelling simpler, why not use Objects like max does? So instead of selecting vertexes and faces directly from every single geoset, you could just select a geoset and go to sub-group that allows you to select and edit vertexes, faces and edges.

Btw are you going to add a curve editor for Bezier & Hermite controllers? It would be nice to have one.

Level 6
I'm not sure exactly where I'm going to go with this, but I do want it to be able to animate. That is hard, though, so I am starting with getting some mesh editing stuff in. I also have that panel on the side where it is just a few hours away from being able to edit the properties of all sorts of objects (like configuring particle emitters or whatever), so maybe I'll do that next instead. I'll just keep adding stuff until I run out of interest.

Blinkboy: I think having geosets as separate objects would make editing of geosets that are separated in order to use separate materials very tricky. So I'm going to try to have it so they edit all at once, but they can hide whichever they want to leave alone. I am planning on allowing the user to drag the tangents around.

Stuff I got done today: There is a grid, there is a move gizmo, you can switch the viewports between functions, you can switch the view between perspective/left/right/top/bottom/front/back.

Attachments

• img2.jpg
    img2.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 396
Level 6
I am using JOGL, which is a thing for Java. And you're right, there is nothing wrong with Java. I'm planning it make it JNLP, not EXE or JAR. Those do tend to actually execute right.

Anyway, I made some more progress today, but not much because I spent most of the time wrestling with the movement gizmo to get it to work right. I needed to get to to stay a constant on-screen size even as you zoom the camera away from it, and for the mouse to stay with it.

Level 6
Dionesiist: That is probably a good idea. If you have any clever ideas for how rigging should work, feel free to share.

ragingspeedhorn: I want to go for as beginner-friendly as possible, but at this point it's pretty much function dicating form, so I don't think I would be doing anything differently if I weren't going for that.

Deskalada: Hi again. I didn't forget about it, it just ended up being easier to make it as I went.

Here is the latest progress: the rotate gizmo. It doesn't do anything yet except sit there.

Attachments

• rotategizmo.png
    rotategizmo.png
    5.6 KB · Views: 165
the only issue I have with it is the asthetics :p Maybe make the background a dark gray like in most modeling programs? White on black just isn't appealing to the eyes. Besides that, it's looking nice. The rotation seems very nice.

I think it's going to be customizable like in MagosME, but yeah, it should be gray on on default.
I've got an idea for the modelling part: Instead of importing the model's whole mesh (like Magos does it in the 'Model Editor' feature (v1.05)) it should import and make very geoset's mesh editable, so you can browse thou the geosets and edit them.

Level 6
Here's what I did for geoset hiding: You have to bring up the selection panel, click on a geoset, and then check/uncheck "visible for mesh editing". It is kind of a lot of clicks if you're just doing one, but I want to keep the way to set-property-of-object pretty uniform, rather than having a right click menu somewhere or something.

I think that having editing for just a single geoset at a time is kind of crippling, since sometimes geosets are shoved up against each other and if you move vertices on one, it will no longer be properly connected to the other. That way is nice and simple, though.

And for colors: I agree that the white-on-black was kind of ugly now that I see it in greys. I'll probably add a settings thing at some point, but that is not a priority.

Attachments

• img3.jpg
    img3.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 161
Here's what I did for geoset hiding: You have to bring up the selection panel, click on a geoset, and then check/uncheck "visible for mesh editing". It is kind of a lot of clicks if you're just doing one, but I want to keep the way to set-property-of-object pretty uniform, rather than having a right click menu somewhere or something.

I think that having editing for just a single geoset at a time is kind of crippling, since sometimes geosets are shoved up against each other and if you move vertices on one, it will no longer be properly connected to the other. That way is nice and simple, though.

And for colors: I agree that the white-on-black was kind of ugly now that I see it in greys. I'll probably add a settings thing at some point, but that is not a priority.

So, when you select just one Geoset a visible, vertices of other geosets won't be moved ? Because that would be great !

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Yes, it should definitely have a setting to see the actual mesh with texture included, working with only wireframes can be difficult.

Level 6
I made a settings file now, so you can change the background and grid color. Also I made it so you can switch between wireframe, solid, and textured. The rotate gizmo fails when you look at it from a large angle, so I need to go redo some of that today.

What exactly looks complicated about it, Dionesiist?

Attachments

• img4.PNG
    img4.PNG
    110.5 KB · Views: 239
Oh, yeah I got a question about this:
Are you program going to edit MDX files or MDL files ? Because I had an experience editing an MDX will result in it's screw up. Or will your programm tranfer you models internally first to mdl and after editing giving them out as MDX again ?

WarForger(he's old modelling program) read both file extention, I'm sure this one will be able too.

Level 6
Right now it only deals in MDXs. I have part of the code for the MDL side of it done, but MDX is way faster to program and one seems good enough for now.

Frank, problems because of it being in MDX instead of MDL would be because the program reads or writes MDXs badly, not because of something wrong with MDXs themselves.

I got the rotate gizmo working properly and scale is up next. Then I think I might release a version for people to see how they like how those operations work.

If I do include geomerge and animation transfer, it won't be for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.