• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Good 3D modeling program?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
Well, I've decided that I want to model some stuff. Boxy, static stuff, concept art for a project I am planning in the future.

Well, the only thing I've ever used to "model", is QuArK (Quake Army Knife, an old program used for creating .bsp maps); and that's not really modelling, that's creating levels for games.

Why am I mentioning it? It's because it's exactly what I want; it's very easy to use for making symmetrical, boxy things (snap to grid and very easy learning curve helped).

I've tried two modeling programs before: gmax (I think it was called gmax), and Milkshape.

Both I found were very compicated to use. Milkshape, I just gave up trying to use it. gmax, it was a little better; but I found it still very clumsy to make symmetrical, boxy objects.

And now, back to the original question; does anyone know a good program for modeling 3D objects (I plan to be making some space ships, among other things like concept weapons, etc, for a little project of mine to be used in artwork).

Preferably a free program; something that I do not have to torrent *cough*, and it should be easy to use.

I don't plan to use the models I create in any game (although conversion to something useful like .mdx would be a benefit), though, all I want is a modeling program that is very easy to use.

Any suggestions?

Level 8
Bump.

Milkshape is too complex for me. It might be good for making objects with smooth curves and complex textures; like bodies - but I find it very difficult to make boxy ships in it.

Anything else?

EDIT: plus Milkshape has no snap2grid, massive fail.

EDIT2: alright, I've found the snap2grid function for Milkshape; I guess it's not so bad...

Level 13
Mh...

There are several 3d modeling tools. I made a list of the once I know:

1. 3ds max (very expensive but very good, for wc3 modeling use version 4/5 because of the blizzard addon pack "warcraft art tools"

2. gmax (3ds max light, free, ~not as functional but good enough, no support of the blizzard art tool)

3. 3ds max >5 (VERY expensive, no support of art tool, MUCH functions....)

4. milkshape (look at the other posts, very good tool for wc3 modeling)

5. blender (not sure if good for wc3 modeling)

Status
Not open for further replies.