• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Contest #35 - Trolls - RESULTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
hive-logo-small-remoosed-png.373032

modeling-png.373686
contest-png.373719

png.373678
3-png.373675
5-png.373685

results-png.373717

trolltheme-png.405637

Contestants must create a Troll model e.g. unit or hero. The Troll model should resemble the style of the Warcraft 3 trolls. The model must be made in SD for Warcraft 3: Classic.

other_contest_judging-png.311506

@General Frank , our only Judge this time around, worked hard on a nice-looking spreadsheet, which I encourage you to check out (attached below). For convenience, I have copy-pasted all the relevant text out of it here for your reading pleasure (but it's missing the titles so seriously, check out the spreadsheet)

PROXY
Hero God Slayer

out of 15
A very nice mesh, but a lot of polygons make it stand out too much.

out of 15
The wrap of the in-game textures is excellent.

out of 15
Nicely adapted animations from the Shaman, the Mountain King and the Druid of the Claw.

out of 10
Beside the frost effects on the blades and the shining coffin there are not many effects, although those are good.

out of 10
The hero does fit well with other heroes and units because of the use of the in-game textures. The amount of polygons puts a smaller damper on it.

out of 20
It is a very cool and creative model and there have been not many models that try to portray a god slayer.

===

Direfury
The Burning Troll

out of 15
Despite having less than 1000 polygons, this model’s mesh looks impressive and is really well made.

out of 15
The custom skins and the wrap is excellent.

out of 15
Some of the animations are excellent, while others look very wooden, stiff and jerky. I really love the morph Animation.

out of 10
The particle effects are great and contribute a lot to the model.

out of 10
The model stands out a lot between regular wc3 models. Maybe it is the colour of the skin and the jankiness of some animations.

out of 20
A ‚morphing‘ troll is very creative and is something many people might have made for different races, but not for trolls.

===

twilac
Female Troll Assassin

out of 15
Having around 1000 polygons, this model’s mesh does look great.

out of 15
The skin does look good on its own, but does sadly not fit well into wc3 and might be too ‚smooth‘.

out of 15
The handful animations that exist are good, but some are anky and wooden and there not many to begin with.

out of 10
There are no effects and maybe the model does not need any.

out of 10
The model fits quite awkwardly into the roster of regular wc3 classic models. The skin makes it stand out too much.

out of 20
The concept of an assassin has been done before, but the execution is quite good.

===

frostwhisper
Zandalari Throne Of War

out of 15
The mesh is good and creative, but the model wastes a lot of polygons and 13000 vertices are too much even for high-poly classic models.

out of 15
The in-game skins are used very well, but there is some stretching of the materials in some areas during some animations.

out of 15
The animations are very nice and smooth.

out of 10
There are no effects beside the dust effect on death.

out of 10
Despite the model using in-game textures the complexity and polygon amount of the polygons make it stand out too much. Removing the trolls would just make this a Dino and those are not associated with troll in regular wc3.

out of 20
War beasts have been done before and there are a lot of them already made.

===

Stefan.K
Troll Voodoo Priest

out of 15
The mesh is very nicely made, but wastes a lot of polygons on very tiny details.

out of 15
The skin is applied very nicely, but the amount of different materials makes it hard to see.

out of 15
The adapted animations from the sorceress are great, but have a little bit of jank to them.

out of 10
The particle effects are extremely well made, look very fitting to the style of the model and over all feel. The runes are amazing.

out of 10
The model fits very well among wc3 classic models, especially the troll units.

out of 20
Voodoo priests and heroes have been done before a lot. This version is one of the more creative ones.

===

-Grendel
Dire Troll Tyrant

out of 15
The mesh is well made and has a lot of detail. There are also a lot of tiny details that get lost.

out of 15
The in-game textures are used very creatively and applied nicely.

out of 15
The adapted animations work nice and the alternate put a very nice touch on them. Some animations do look a bit wooden and unfitting.

out of 10
There are not a lot of effects, but the morph runes and the slam attack do look very nice.

out of 10
The model fits very well into the normal wc3 classic roster, because of the use of in-game textures.

out of 20
There have been big trolls made before and this one is quite good, but I feel there might have been something much more creative.

other_prizes-png.311512

1st place: 750 experience points
2nd place: 600 experience points
3rd place: 450 experience points
Entry: 150 experience points
Judge: 25 experience points per entrant

The three winners will receive an award icon representing the winning entry.

other_entries-png.311509

Name(s)Entry

@-Grendel

@PROXY

@frostwhisper

@Stefan.K

@twilac

@Direfury

(Updated 02-04-2023)

results-calculation__realfinal-png.429492

(see attached Spreadsheet if desired)

CONGRATULATIONS:
1st Place: -Grendel
2nd Place: -PROXY
3rd Place: Stefan.K

Thanks to you all for participating.

Assigned Staff: @Archian (with a little help from @Kyrbi0)

Contest | Poll

Attachments

• Results Calculation.PNG
    Results Calculation.PNG
    20 KB · Views: 21
  • MC#25 - Results Calculation.xlsx
    8.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Judging_New.xlsx
    8.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited by a moderator:
Level 35
Though, Grendel has more points in total and he's on second place?
I was looking at this and I think you're right, it makes me wonder if there was a genuine mistake or if I just don't have all the information required to work with since I am only checking out this contest now - speaking of, fantastic entries, looked like a very tight competition. Congratulations to the winners, and hopefully if there's any mistakes that were made they can be fixed up easily enough :)

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I was looking at this and I think you're right, it makes me wonder if there was a genuine mistake or if I just don't have all the information required to work with since I am only checking out this contest now - speaking of, fantastic entries, looked like a very tight competition. Congratulations to the winners, and hopefully if there's any mistakes that were made they can be fixed up easily enough :)
While the numbers were all double-checked by 3 different people (myself, Archian, & Ralle)... we are only human. As always I've attached the entire raw Calculations spreadsheet to the first post for anyone to download & I encourage everyone to check for themselves.

It's important to remember the weights; the Poll was determined to only be 30% of the final score, with 70% being the Judge's results. So even if someone got more raw points overall (i.e. all added up), that's not necessarily indicative of the winner.

Level 51
While the numbers were all double-checked by 3 different people (myself, Archian, & Ralle)... we are only human. As always I've attached the entire raw Calculations spreadsheet to the first post for anyone to download & I encourage everyone to check for themselves.

It's important to remember the weights; the Poll was determined to only be 30% of the final score, with 70% being the Judge's results. So even if someone got more raw points overall (i.e. all added up), that's not necessarily indicative of the winner.
Its not so much about wrong numbers, but rather that it is clearly stated that Grendel has more points in total than me, yet is placed 2nd. If that is not indicative of placement, what else would be?

Level 35
Its not so much about wrong numbers, but rather that it is clearly stated that Grendel has more points in total than me, yet is placed 2nd. If that is not indicative of placement, what else would be?
This. I was looking at the final calculations, which to my understanding were the aggregate sum of the scores.

I was suspecting human error though. To clarify, this is what I have been looking at.
1680372609967.png

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
This. I was looking at the final calculations, which to my understanding were the aggregate sum of the scores.

I was suspecting human error though. To clarify, this is what I have been looking at.View attachment 429481
Oh dear. Either I made a mistake (attaching the wrong image)... Or a very big mistake (bad math).

Thank you for pointing it & clarifying. I will check on this.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
It appears that a mistake was made and the wrong winner was announced.

@-Grendel is the true winner of Hive's Modeling Contest #35.
@PROXY won second place
@Stefan.K won third place.

We sincerely apologize for the mistake. New awards will be given ASAP.

(Kyrbi0's re-calculation):

results-calculation__realfinal-png.429492

I will also take this time to state, that future contests may be decided by the votes of a public poll. More info on this later.

EDITED

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I will also take this time to state, that future contests will be decided by the votes of a public poll. More info on this later.
Definitely. Only those willing to participate to vote for the themes is kind of useless since they can create whatever they want outside contests anyway but some popular demand would definitely help the community more.

Level 51
We apologize for the inconvenience and have taken steps to make sure that it doesn't happen again.

Please, its no biggie. As Khrybs rightfully stated, we're all human and we're all doing this for fun. Mistakes can happen and (thank goodness) don't weigh all that heavy here.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Dear Contestants,

I want to sincerely & publicly apologize for my mistake in presenting the Results for this Contest incorrectly. It was an egregious & frankly inexplicable error, not of "attaching the wrong image" or even "bad math". It was the worst mistake of all; sheer ineptitude. 😅😰

I had the right image, the right spreadsheet, and did all the right math. I got all the right numbers from the Poll, and a corrected Judging from Frank had all the right numbers as well. But right there at the finish line, I somehow, bafflingly, looked at the final Total numbers & somehow missed that 63.75 (PROXY's score) is not greater than 65.82 (-Grendel's score).

Like I said, inexplicable. 😵 I could've used the spreadsheet to automatically Sort them but I didn't; I just looked at them. And then I assigned it incorrectly.

While I did have other eyes going over it with me, I assume full responsibility for this error. The math was fine, I just read it wrong. It was just dumb, guys. I've done this Results Calculating thing before, this never came up then, I don't know what to say.

I hope you can all (but especially @PROXY & @-Grendel , the most-affected) can forgive me. I also hope that any other issues about this Contest can be directed appropriately & patiently at the right people; if any of you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please feel free to reach out to Staff either privately or in a Staff thread.

Thank you again for competing & engaging with this community.

Status
Not open for further replies.