• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Contest #22 - Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 26

the%20hive%20workshop.png

152290-albums921-picture54932.jpg

modeling.png
contest.png

number.png
2.png
2.png
results.png

-MIMIC-
Contestants shall model a creature or monster that has two forms.
A benign form disguised as a common, inert object;
And an antagonistic/animalistic "attack" form

judges.png

-HAPPYCOCKROACH-
-ANARCHIANBEDLAM-

Mesh: 9/10
Good-looking mesh. Well resolved and reasonable polycount. (teeth could be alpha, but it is okay like that)

Animations: 10/10
I'll suppose some of it came from wc3 and you added some stuff. Morph isn't continuous, but it is interesting... Anyhow, these animations went very nice with it. They run very smooth and fine. Although I'd suggest the page marker tongue could have used some kind of rig to be spread free across the pages, instead of sticking on one of them.

Skin: 10/10
Quite consistent colour scheme and good-looking textures chosen. Not much to say about it. Teamcolour is nice.

Mechanics: 5/5
Works well in-game.

Effects: 4/5
Those death animation particles aren't most nice. I like the projectile ribbon, though. There's no need for more.

Creativity: 9/10
Yes, it is another book. But it would be too shallow to say it is uncreative because of that fact. The scroll going to the sides, the rolled scroll missile and such show creative effort on the details. Also, there is a nice sense of character in this model which I like very much. It isn't an object that moves. It is a true and lively mimic character that disguises as an object. That is the unpredictable mimic spirit.

Overall rating: 47/50

Mesh: 8/10
The mesh is... simple. But it is ok.

Animations: 9/10
Well-made custom animations.

Skin: 3/10
That plain black hurts my eyes.
and when the book opens I'm finally blind with the rainbow writings.

Seriously... wrong texture decisions. they fit incredibly bad! Too many colors, tones, resolutions, tiny microscopic details, just too many stuff. an overkill. In-game it's all black inside... and an ugly plain black.

Works fine in-game.

Effects: 5/5
The effects are consistent and good-looking.

Creativity: 5/10
I flipped through the whole thread and confirmed that you are the first one to say the word "book". But that doesn't say much about you being creative. Your execution process involved many random decisions with doubtfully successful results, like the rainbow colored runes, the plain black, etc. And the result isn't a satisfactory mimic character, clever and deadly. It is more like a book that opens and floats. It is true that you went for a more macabre style, but some of those ideas can't be justified.

Overall rating: 35/50

Simple yet efficient geometry. The topology and polycount are both appropriate for an unit of its type, and for a two-form unit that is a fairly good polycount. Good humanoid golem anatomy as well (for Warcraft).

Animations: 7/10
Decent custom animations. The motion in most animations isn't that bad and they are smooth enough for linear-controlled anims. I'd complain about the morph and death physics, which could make the model more interesting animation-wise if the equipment fell with a sense of gravity and went up with reverse gravity, instead of just a simple linear interpolation. The way it is it is quite disappointing.

Skin: 7/10
I have two little issues with it: the texture choice has a displeasant conflict of saturation, making the gold stand out too much in a lemon yellow, and there are some distorted areas in the wrap (that can't be noticed in distance), still it is efficient and well-wrapped. The teamcolour addition is creative and good-looking.

As it seems, it works flawlessly in-game.

There are some neat effects, like the trail of gold.. that was brilliant. But there are some which I wouldn't add (or would make them discreet), that make it an overkill, like the gem glow.

Creativity: 8/10
I have seen this idea a couple of times, but I can't say it isn't a creative entry. And (although that makes it a bit ordinary) it was well contextualized in WC3, with the same gold as the treasure chest one, and the same treasure of the treasure pile. Not to mention the details made which are really innovative, like the gold trail.

Overall rating: 40/50

Mesh: 2/10
Wrong geometry decisions. That little spheres are ugly and doesn't work in a plant's body (at least for wc3), and they are poly-heavy. The closed state should have linked faces instead of those gaps in-between. The teeth aren't efficient like this as well. But the overall composition isn't aesthetically that bad.

Animations: 4/10
They don't look very smooth. Your rig is complex for no reason, since you don't use it in a way to make the animations flow. And you should have made at least one morph animation, even because your model changes visibility of geosets in different states, so you don't even count with the in-game motion blend time between the states. But they are coherent in their own patterns.

Skin: 1/10
This kind of skin doesn't work in wc3. Too much plain colour, too much saturation, what would go ok in some comic-style game but doesn't fit the warcraft atmosphere. These problems I said are synonyms of 'bad texture quality' - lacks shading, highlights, definition, etc. (Also, there's a lot of wasted space in your skin. Try cut it down to the closest to 100% used area next time)

Mechanics: 0/5
It is unselectable, it has no teamcolour, and the fact it has no morph animations is also heavy to the mimic mechanics. (To make your model selectable you should recalculate the extents, Magos can do it under Edit panel)

Effects: 3/5
Animated particles would look better for the saliva, but it looks okay.

Creativity: 6/10
The piranha plant is an old and common mimic concept. It wasn't very unexpected, but anyways, kinda runs away from what everybody went doing.

Overall rating: 16/50

Mesh: 2/10
It looks badly resolved, full of not very clever cross-overs. The detail is way too poor. Your carpet has no alpha and it is just a plane? Think twice about that, looks like a rigid and weird paper sheet.

Animations: 4/10
Not that bad, but some animations are really poor, like walk, and mainly morph. Morph should be better than this to make a good mimic. The rig is awkward also... carpets aren't stiff like that, they are soft. Search in the webs about the VA plug-in for 3dsmax5. It makes it possible to convert vertex animations to warcraft animations, and it is perfect for textiles. (I've made my carpet already, look at the Cabalist)

Skin: 3/10
You might think that the texture you chose for the carpet looks pretty, but you're wrong. It doesn't solve the problem that the mesh is just a plane... ends up as a rough-edged ugly plane. There is some okay wrap in the alternate form.

Mechanics: 2/5
Works quite alright in-game. But mimic mechanics are poor because of the morph animation isn't any smooth. You just don't really know well what happens in-game when it morphs.

Okay effects, although morph would require some more to be smooth.

Can't say it isn't a good idea. It literally 'pulls your carpet'. If better executed, would have great potential.

Overall rating: 24/50

Mesh: 6/10
Although it lacks detail to wc3, I can't see how would you do this any different.

Animations: 6/10
lol...not bad actually.

Skin: 6/10
The skin is appropriate. Although some parts are way too blurry.

Mechanics: 1/5
It is unselectable. That is a critical fault. No teamcolour isn't that big deal for such an unit. (To make it selectable you should recalculate extents. Magos does it under Edit panel)

Effects: 3/5
They are microscopic, but anyways, they are there and work ok.

lol, good job. Nobody expected this.

Overall rating: 31/50

Well... just that old little AutoSmooth problem, but here it isn't as noticeable as in the White Queen dress. Reasonable polycount and good-looking mesh. Only next time I'd suggest you for organic models to set the same smoothing group for all mesh, except where separation is really needed, since they usually look bad in-game. (If the problem persists, convert to editable poly and weld vertices with 0.1 threshold or so to make the mesh continuous before splitting it)

Animations: 10/10
Incredibly smooth and fine. Creative as well.

Skin: 9/10
Nice. Consistent colour scheme and good-looking texture.

Mechanics: 4/5
There's that little displacement when it 'burrows'. I suggest you to fix it. Everything else is alright.

Effects: 5/5
Magos Model Editor don't do justice to your effects, which are nice. Guess it's because of the spawned ones.

Creativity: 11/10
This is just how clever I wished the Mimic ideas to get. Awesome concept. Very witty. Deserves a little bonus. :)

Overall rating: 48/50

Eubz ~ Cursed Carpet

MESH
The mesh is... in a word, "lacking". But if i were to use more words, I would also say that it looks terribly simple, and ham-handedly slapped together with paperclips and glue in the smallest amount of time and with the least amount of effort. The 'carpet' form is a single, flat PLANE, and everything looks like its made out of paper.
ANIMATIONSThe animations are quite consistent with quality of the mesh, being that they look as if no effort was put into them. The 'carpet' form hops up and down in the most rudimentary manner possible and the morph animations, in addition to being completely incoherent, are simply "SCALE EVERYTHING DOWN"
UV/SKINYour choice of textures and the manner in which you wrap them, again, display a surprising lack of creativity, ingenuity or any kind of 'care'. Despite your insistence, Arthas' cape, does not look like a carpet when wrapped in this manner. Most if not all parts of the wrap look deformed or blurry or misaligned in some manner, and the teamcolor (a solid neon patch of red) does not blend in any way with the rest of the model.
CREATIVITYWhile the initial idea of a "carpet mimic" might have had potential for an interesting model, the finished product quite thoroughly destroys that hope. A simple, and poor wrap on the carpet makes it uninteresting to look at, and the 'monster' form of it is uninspired to say the least. A skull head, with a cape.
MECHANICSThis model 'works' ingame in that it wont crash your computer. But the choppy animations and poor design ensures that it wont 'work' in any game you want to play.
EFFECTSPurple glow. The entirety of the special effects amounts to a single spewing of purple smudge
TOTAL ~ 14/50

ERYFKRAD ~ Evil Plant

MESH
This mesh is simple, and not optimized. I cant possibly imagine how you made model with 1038 faces, look like it has less than 200 faces. I can see a lot of 'primitives' glued together as if this were made out of legos.
ANIMATIONSThe animations are simple. They serve a function but add no personality or interest to bland looking model. And there are no morph animations.
UV/SKINContrary to popular belief, custom skins do not automatically assure you first prize. 75% of your texture is empty and the parts that are filled are basically solid color blobs. You could get more detail out of a 64x64 icon.
CREATIVITYNo, this is not really creative... at all. It's a venus fly trap in concept, and it even looks like one
MECHANICSIt.... "works" ingame. There's no decay animation
EFFECTSa blobby splashy waterfall from it's mouth.... I'm assuming that it's either suppose to be saliva, or that it is somehow constantly gargling toothpaste
TOTAL ~ 16/50

Radagast ~ Matchbox

MESH
Congratulations, you now know how to make boxes! So... very many boxes. It.... works for the model, but... they're still just square boxes.
ANIMATIONSYou can imagine the surprise on my face as i finally see an entry with any kind of effort put into the animations. They still aren't the GREATEST, the walk animation is slow and awkward. But the attack-2, death and morph animations are at least somewhat creative.
UV/SKINThe wrap... makes sense. The striking surface actually looks 'coarse' and the matches look.... somewhat wooden. But again, it's just boxes.
CREATIVITYI felt like this concept had more potential than you actually displayed. Its a box with little box arms and legs.
MECHANICSYea, it works ingame, the particle count on the "fire" make it impractical for such a simple and small model.
EFFECTSOver 700 particle count for 4 grainy spouts of yellow. And +1300 for the death animation's big spew of grainy yellow. This does not please me.
TOTAL ~ 23/50

-Grendel ~ Man Eater

MESH
The mesh is well done for the most part, but the second book is redundant. And redundancies means that it is not optimized. And he has such perfect strait pearly white teeth, it must be a book on dentistry.... DEMONIC DENSTISTRY
ANIMATIONSThe stand and walk animations are very well done, they are smooth and loop well, as I've come to expect from you. But I am very dissapointed that you did not attempt the same level of quality in the morph animations. If you had given your book a proper morph animation, you would not have needed the redundant extra book.
UV/SKINThe Textures and wrap are well done, it looks like a book, and the use of teamcolor was clever.
CREATIVITYYes, books as mimics would probably be right behind treasure chests as mimics, but the fact that it uses pages to fly is rather interesting.
MECHANICSYes, this works ingame. I dont see any problems other than a terrible death and morph animation.
EFFECTSYellow rings of 'tooncloud', it just.... looks awful
TOTAL ~ 36/50

Deolrin ~ Possessed Tome

MESH
This book is much simpler than -grendel's and the paper teeth aren't very visible, but it still looks like a book, and it gets the job done. And if you don't want me to compare your model to -grendel's then you shouldn't have made the same thing he did in the same contest.
ANIMATIONSThe animations are simpler than -grendel's. It's just the book repeatedly opening and closing. They work, for a book, but I cant say that there's anything terribly interesting about them
UV/SKINGood use of texture and wrap, it is interesting to look at, and clever use of the runes and filters for the text
CREATIVITYNot only was the initial idea cliche, but you used the cliche after someone else did in the same contest. "Originality? what's that?"
MECHANICSYes it works ingame, no it wont make your computer explode.
EFFECTSSome legitimately good effects, with the glowing text and particles that aren't just a bunch of smudgy glow blobs for once.
TOTAL ~ 32/50

Deosilva16 ~ Treasure Guardian

MESH
The mesh looks good, the armor fits your golem well and there are lots of interesting pieces to look at.
ANIMATIONSThe animations are well done and fit the model. The morph animation, while simple, looks good. Like it's actually falling apart and reforming.
UV/SKINGood use of ingame textures, the armor and weapon look good as either loose pieces or together. But you do not need 2 separate skins for the gold texture, you could combine them into 1 texture and still be 128x128 without a loss in quality.
CREATIVITYFairly creative as far as mimics go. For once it's not a chest or a book.
MECHANICSYes this works ingame. No i don't have anything else to say.
EFFECTSGood effects, the gold coin trail it leaves behind as it walks and the shiny sparkles as it moves around, while simple, look good and add quality to the model
TOTAL ~ 42/50

Skrab ~ Stump Monster

MESH
The mesh is lumpy and uneven and gnarled. But then, I guess that's the look you were going for. And it is a good looking stump.
ANIMATIONSYes, these are what animations should be. There's movement and personality. The roots pull an axe from it's head and it has a walk animation that doesn't look like a limping penguin with downs.
UV/SKINThe skin and wrap look good on the model, even if it is just google images hacked together. There are a few spots that look stretched, but from an ingame distance its great.
CREATIVITYMost creative concept in this awful contest. And it fits very well in wc3.
MECHANICSThis model works ingame, and we even got a little test map for it, how quaint.
EFFECTSSOO much dust, but it works... i guess
TOTAL ~ 46/50

TOTALS

diosilva16[ (40+42/100) x 60 ]+[ (24/45) x 40] = 70.5

skrab[ (48+46/100) x 60 ]+[ (12/45) x 40] = 67.1

grendel[ (47+36/100) x 60 ]+[ (03/45) x 40] = 53.5

deolrin[ (35+32/100) x 60 ]+[ (06/45) x 40] = 45.5

radagast[ (31+23/100) x 60 ]+[ (00/45) x 40] = 32.4

eubz[ (24+14/100) x 60 ]+[ (00/45) x 40] = 22.8

eryfkrad[ (16+16/100) x 60 ]+[ (00/45) x 40] = 19.2

DIOSILVA16
SKRAB -GRENDEL
lol comic sans

Congratulations to the winners and participants and yada yada

Level 48
Congratulations to the winners. I'm quite surprised at the results, honestly. This is not what I expected at all. I didn't expect Skrab to get so much love! It's strange how he comes up first on both of the judge's lists, yet he still gets only second place. Maybe the poll should be nerfed a bit next time? :p

EDIT: Oh. So Skrab's model's texture is google images CnP'd together? So CnP is allowed now. Uh, okay. I guess that's... Fine... Perfectly normal... Alright. ._.

EDIT 2:
And if you don't want me to compare your model to -grendel's then you shouldn't have made the same thing he did in the same contest.

Oh, you mean HE shouldn't have made the same model as I did. I called it first.

EDIT 3:
OKAY WHAT THE FUCK. NOW I'M SERIOUSLY MAD.
ANARCHIANBEDLAM, YOUR WHOLE FUCKING JUDGING IS A COMPARISON OF MY MODEL VERSUS -GRENDEL'S? AND YOU BLAME ME FOR BEING UNORIGINAL?

I'm sorry, did you READ the thread? I called the concept of a 'facebook' first. You even made a joke about it. What the bloody ass...?
While I was working on my model, -Grendel's concept was completely different. I wasn't mad about -Grendel STEALING my idea during the contest, but now that I see how much it reflects in the judging, I can't help but be appalled.

EDIT 4:
Some legitimately good effects, with the glowing text and particles that aren't just a bunch of smudgy glow blobs for once.
Madness slightly subdued. I'm still mad though. ._.

EDIT 9001:
Most creative concept in this awful contest
...So the judge hates the contest, okay... ._.

Last edited:
Level 26
EDIT: Oh. So Skrab's model's texture is google images CnP'd together? So CnP is allowed now. Uh, okay. I guess that's... Fine... Perfectly normal... Alright. ._.

The way that i see it, for modeling contests, i allow cnp from photo/realistic sources, since no one can copyright a tree. But if someone were to say, CnP actual artwork, or intellectual property that someone can copyright, like the team fortress 2 heavy weapons guy; then i would not accept that.
Oh, you mean HE shouldn't have made the same model as I did. I called it first.

Lol what is this, second grade? you 'called it' first? well too bad, he posted wips and started working on it first

Level 48
I started working on it as soon as I called it. What, do you want me to post a WIP of two boxes? Yes, I called it first, and at least HappyCockroach did his research and he found that I, indeed, had the original idea. He didn't exactly post WIPs, either; He just suddenly showed up with a model exactly like the one that I've been working on.
What I find seriously unfair is that the entire rating of my model is based on comparison with -Grendel's model. This is not the first time two people have worked on the same concept for a contest, and you did NOT have to compare the two models. I tried to make my model as different as I could from -Grendel's model exactly so that the judges WON'T bitch about how I "stole the concept"(even though I'm the real victim here), and yet I get... This shit. Especially the "Creativity" part is bullshit.

And you say this isn't second grade. :/

Level 26
here is a man who does not understand the concept of contests. Being that every entry is judged against ... every other entry. i compared -grendel's to debode's and debode's to grendel's and grendel's to radagast's and radagast's to skrab's. Even if i were to redo the scores reverse them, give grendel a 1/10 and debode a 6/10 for their shit creativity. The scores would remain the same...

grendels new total would be 49.5 and debodes new total would be 47.9

Even if debode 'thought of the most unoriginal idea in the world' FIRST it still doesnt change the fact that grendel's had a more creative result. pages flapping as wings is something unexpected. while 'glowing text' in a 'magic book' could stand alongside 'wizards with hats' in the cliche department.

so... yet.again.debode. your tantrums are so unreasonably trite that i regret the 5 minutes it took me to respond to it.

Level 14
~Comic Subs~
Anywho...
I feel that deo and grendel should have the same creativity points,if nothing happens in the future but only a never-ending discussion

Level 48
here is a man who does not understand the concept of contests. Being that every entry is judged against ... every other entry. i compared -grendel's to debode's and debode's to grendel's and grendel's to radagast's and radagast's to skrab's.

But you did not outright mention that in the judging of the other entries. You didn't go, "OH BUT THAT OTHER GUY'S MODEL IS BETTER, SO YOU GET LESS POINTS", even if it is what you thought, even if it IS the reason you gave him a low score. It's about being a decent person and not being an ass to the contestants, especially when it's not well deserved.

Even if i were to redo the scores reverse them, give grendel a 1/10 and debode a 6/10 for their shit creativity. The scores would remain the same...

grendels new total would be 49.5 and debodes new total would be 47.9

But it would be fair. I would have lost to -Grendel, fair and square, because the judges thought my model was inferior to his. That would've been perfectly fine. But instead, I get this "-GRENDEL DID IT FIRST LOLOLO YOU LOSE" shit.

Even if debode 'thought of the most unoriginal idea in the world' FIRST it still doesnt change the fact that grendel's had a more creative result. pages flapping as wings is something unexpected. while 'glowing text' in a 'magic book' could stand alongside 'wizards with hats' in the cliche department.

Every man could see it differently. Personally, I haven't seen enough fantasy movies and played enough fantasy games to be familiar with what is a "creative" concept. I came up with the idea of glowing runes simply because I found out how did Blizzard do the Voodoo Lounge's glowing, changing colors effects, and I wanted to try it out for myself. I thought it would be a nice idea if the runes, which were previously simply script on the pages, would glow up and become 'magical' when the book casts spells or 'talks'. I just thought it would be a cool effect. I didn't think it through, like, "oh but the book in X and Y does that as well, so I must not do this, or else it will be considered uncreative".

so... yet.again.debode. your tantrums are so unreasonably trite that i regret the 5 minutes it took me to respond to it.

That is a super cool story, bro.

Level 31
dawson_crying.gif

Why didn't I win? It's so unfair that my non existent entry was compared to the rest of the entries. My non existent entry should be judged in it's own non existent right. Because this totally isn't a contest where models are judged in context with one another. This clearly adheres to the mystical modeling standards that were set forth by Xeno XII.

HOW DARE YOU ANARCHIANBEDLAM.
HOW DARE YOU.

Status
Not open for further replies.